United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Hi all,

I'm mystified as to what advantage the "Conan Bonus Card" gives a player. As I understand it, all it does is allow you to play another Strategy Card in the Bid phase once all bids are revealed and use that instead of the one you played (although both cards are discarded afterwards). Assuming most players would bid their highest value card (as controlling Conan as much as possible seems to be a good tactic) then won't the player with the Conan Bonus Card end up bidding their highest card in the end anyway, in which case why not just bid it right at the start and not waste two cards?

Just wondering how this benefits the player. All replies much appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
See the person next to you? Kill! Kill!!! KILLL!!!!
badge
I'm your baby! Can you feel it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you do combine the cards with your bidding tokens. At some point you won't have the higher tokens available and you might want to get the Conan Card without spending a good Strategy Card. Happens though that you might miscalculate, thinking that a player has less resources than he actually does. So you still have the chance to amend that.

Also, players not always have really hight value strategy cards..., so yet again, you might risk a lower card at some point.

And also, if you have the Conan Bonus card, other players might think it's not worth playing their higher cards because you can respond to those, so you just do average strategy cards until one other player takes the chance and... you can respond...

That's how I feel the Bonus Card could be useful, but I have played it only once. I'm sure more experienced players can come up with better explanations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NappyPlayer wrote:
Hi all,

I'm mystified as to what advantage the "Conan Bonus Card" gives a player. As I understand it, all it does is allow you to play another Strategy Card in the Bid phase once all bids are revealed and use that instead of the one you played (although both cards are discarded afterwards). Assuming most players would bid their highest value card (as controlling Conan as much as possible seems to be a good tactic) then won't the player with the Conan Bonus Card end up bidding their highest card in the end anyway, in which case why not just bid it right at the start and not waste two cards?

Just wondering how this benefits the player. All replies much appreciated.

It's true this one is not used as often as the other "bonus" cards, but wow! The one time you need it, and you use it to get control of Conan, you will be very glad indeed.
TK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.