Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have my Descent set (base + all non-AC expansions) in one giant tackle box.

I'd like to do something similar with RtL and SoB (together in one container,) and would like it to take up as little space as possible.

The second, less desirable, option would be to include EVERYTHING together in one big case.

Anyone have anything they did that worked?...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Burk
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance!
badge
Rakes, my arch enemy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I got almost all the way in one box. I also use the tacklebox method, and it fits all regular expansions, plus RtL and half SoB. The catch is the AC gameboard and save boxes are stored in a separate expansion box for me, which means I lug the thing around depending on which campaign we play. Otherwise, the tacklebox fits everything else: tokens, figures, cards, templates, dungeon tiles. I could take some pictures of how I have it organized if you like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deadsider wrote:
Well I got almost all the way in one box. I also use the tacklebox method, and it fits all regular expansions, plus RtL and half SoB. The catch is the AC gameboard and save boxes are stored in a separate expansion box for me, which means I lug the thing around depending on which campaign we play. Otherwise, the tacklebox fits everything else: tokens, figures, cards, templates, dungeon tiles. I could take some pictures of how I have it organized if you like.

That would be awesome and much appreciated. Is it the Plano 777 there is a thread about somewhere?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Burk
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Rakes, my arch enemy.
mbmbmbmbmb
This will be a huge post, bear with me. I'll show you how I organize our AC and feel free to make suggestions or comments too!

Quote:
This is the model of tacklebox I found. When I went looking for one, the one thing I really wanted to make sure I had was sliding drawers with room for small monsters and space enough for large monsters and dungeon tiles. That was priority one, priority two was ease of access to the insane number of tokens this game has. This is the Plano 758-005 model which is currently up still for sale on their website. I tried local fishing stores but didn't find ones with drawers large enough, on a whim I tried a local Walmart and bam, got it for $20 bucks (I thought it was a steal at that price but I don't know jack about fishing so who knows). This picture is taken on a couch for a sense of scale, it is really big and surprisingly heavy though.

Quote:
This is how it looks with the front panel dropped down. You'll notice I have labels everywhere for where things go. I didn't think I needed them at first but to be quite honest its been invaluable in the end, and whats more if someone else takes a spin at being an Overlord you'll be damn glad people put things back in the right place instead of screwing up your hard work. Highly recommended even if you just have to take a marker to the box. I tried to get an up close shot of the labels but my crappy cell phone didn't make it legible as the font is really small and compact on these labels.

Quote:
This is the tacklebox when your open the top. You'll notice I just split cards up into baggies so they don't spill around and lay them on top in places where I find room. Nothing fancy here, but be sure you get all the air out of them when you wrap them up. You don't have quite as much room as you think you do.

Quote:
This is one of the reasons I picked this model, it has a big open bucket of an area on the lefthand side, perfect for the huge pieces of dungeon tile and where I put most large monsters like dragons and nagas. All the templates are there too, like Bolt and the Camp tile, or the Cave Entrance from SoB too. I should mention I had to put the Lava Beetles in there too because they wouldn't fit with my small monsters because they are just too spiky to fit, but because I hardly use them its not a big deal to me. Actually they kinda stand out to grab anyway, and the random pile of large monsters is pretty easy to rummage through because once the cards are out there's a lot of space to see what you need.

Quote:
Here's the righthand view of the top of the box. It has 5 compartments with tall dividers, and this is how I used them. First, I have some monsters tucked away, the Chaos Beasts in the top slot due to rarity, in slot 4 I have Blood Apes and the bottom of the picture is the spiders. I did this because they have a lot of models for larger creatures and it made it easier to find things in the big open pile of large creatures. Also in the top slot is the large 4x4 corrupted tiles because they see very rare use, then below that I have most of the 4x4 dungeon tiles and similar sized ones like the 4 way intersection pieces. I also try to keep the ToI ones together so when I build my dungeons I don't just grab the first 4x4 I find but try to keep it to the theme. At first I had trouble getting used to pulling tiles from there but now I'm pro and barely look anymore, its fun actually. Below that is the outdoor RtL slot. Keeping in mind I wanted to have easy access to the different types of terrain, the outdoor tiles gave me a nightmare to store and this is the best I could come up with. Basically, almost all the large non-straight line pieces from RtL are here. The large elbows, the 4x4 squares, T-intersections, 4 way intersections, etc. I will admit I often pull out the whole hunk of tiles and rifle through them by hand anyway, I couldn't come up with a solution I liked. Anyway the other thing about the tall dividers is they also have room to place card baggies on top of them, minus the main dungeon and RtL tile slots. I often don't open a baggie or three during campaigns like Skills and "leftovers" like banned cards, vanilla monster cards or relics and leave them in the top slot to rot with the chaos beasts.

Quote:
This is the top drawer, where I keep most of my dungeon stuff. On the left is a large compartment where I keep 4x8 rooms, T intersections and the elbow corner tiles, all stacked neatly on each other. Next one over is the long 2x8 dungeon tile, then the 2x4 and RtL's little 1x2 extender piece, next one over is the small extensions and end pieces. Next one is the bulk of the doors, and beside that at the very end is the rune doors with their keys, and I keep the compass rose in there too for easy access. The bottom half of the tray is sort of a mishmash of dungeon tokens, from left to right I have gold piles then RtL ice extensions, stairs, ? tiles, glyphs, ice end pieces and then all the treasure chests. Often they get a little mushed up but its still easy enough to pull them out for fast deployment.

Quote:
Next is the hero drawer. The top and bottom on the left is the hero figures, then from top left across is dice with familiar tokens under them, AC training tokens (all types, and that huge pile is with SoB tokens added too), Curse and Frost are in the next slot over from that. Next is Bleed and Burn, then Poison and Web and finally Stun and Daze tokens are on the last slot at the top right. You'll notice I paired up most statuses in each slot but its really easy to pick them out. Bottom row, left to right after the hero figure bin is cannons and conquest (tight fit, cannons are huge but it fits well enough), then a wound slot. Beside that is Prolonged Actions and I keep fatigue tokens in there too but most are in my save boxes. Next I have a slot I nickname "DLC Potions" which is for the expansion potions of invulnerability, invisibility and power, while the one beside it is the base game potions of fatigue and health. Last slot down there is money, with SoB and RtL combined in there.

Quote:
Third drawer I use for map tokens and most obstacles, as well as the AC special stuff. Left to right on the top row I have scything blades and dart fields, then dark glyphs and boulders with ramps. Beside that is the LT drawer with all their tokens, plus SoB bits like sharks and tentacles. It fits it all fine though, a little hard to pick out a freshly bought LT but its not happening often so its not an issue IMO. Beside that one is the large AC map bits, like beds and altars, the summoning circle and that sort of stuff, a little rummaging required. Next over is my worst slot of all, the straight pieces to RtL (including ice tiles). I won't lie, I don't like how I have this one but everything else feels so nice and symmetrical like the status tokens in the hero drawer and stuff that I hate to change anything. I'm weird, I know. Anyway, this is for things like the exit portals and 2x4 and 2x6 long pieces, as well as the shorter extensions like 2x2. I often wind up picking up the whole thing and sorting by hand but its not too bad. Anyway the spot beside it is the reef and sea bits from SoB and under it is corrupted tiles, and the last top right spot is for crushing walls and stands for sharks and tentacles. Bottom left, we have relics, monkey tokens and other super rare 1 space tokens like that spook from WoD (you know, one quest only kinds of things), then beside that is the plot map piece tokens. Things like the Element Temples from Ascension, Brother Against Brother eyes, all that fun stuff. And things like treasure map pieces are in there too for SoB. Next over is the other AC map stuff like raze tokens, party marker, dungeon spawn eyes and OL keep marker. The next slot is 1x1 map bits from the ACs, like barrels and prisoners, palm trees and bone heaps and the like. Next over is my last rummage spot for RtL bits, this is where I keep the RtL ends (and on the reverse the dungeon colored portal pieces), and the annoying to find small corner pieces. I originally kept them with the main larger corner and junction pieces, but I was simply losing track of them so I kept them here. I also keep Asleep tokens in this spot too. Finally, the next two slots are the corrupted tiles and fog respectively.

Quote:
The last drawer is for monsters and traps mostly. Here I wanted to keep each small figure monster type to a single drawer slot, but I had a little bit in the way of trouble from space limitations. Not to mention some slots looked pretty sparse with only a couple figures so I combined a bit here and there. Also, all the razorwings don't fit in a slot at all, and some tightly packed spots for some figures too but it all fits. Anyway, top row left to right is master razorwings and deep elves, because the master 'wings didn't fit with the rest and it looked silly to have just 2 deep elves have a slot to themselves. Next over is a slot of kobolds, then hellhounds after that. The rest of the razorwings are next, then the shades. The top row finishes off with some obstacle bits, Lava then Ice, followed by Mud and Water. Bottom row left to right is beastmen just barely fitting, then ferrox have a spacious slot. Medusae next, then skeletons also barely fitting, then sorcerers and dark priests to round out the small figures. The last stuff is rubble, pits and of course, threat tokens. I keep most of my threat tokens in my OL save box though, because I'm weird.

Quote:
This is all the card baggies I use, and some are fairly large sized (I'd guess some bags have 80 cards or so). I do like the baggie method but I find it fiddly, so as a result I try to have less overall baggies and combine similar themes and such together, as well as not even taking some out for the AC's until required. That said, across the top from left to right is my hero baggie, then skills. I keep all skills in here, with the exceptions of what's been banned or restricted in a campaign. Most of the time I don't unpack this for a session anyway. Next one is the Overlord upgrades. This bag I keep the various upgrades like Avatars and LTs, as well as Dark Relics and the campaign's other Monster Level cards and plots. Often I don't pull this deck out of the bag either until I need it. Up at the top right corner is the unused deck. This has the relic cards, banned or restricted cards, vanilla monster cards and stuff like that, the stuff not being used in the AC I'm playing. I don't unpack this one ever pretty much. Bottom row left to right, I have a full baggie of Dungeon cards from all the expansions, then slightly between the rows I have the Encounter, Location and Rumor cards all bundled together. Below it I have the treachery cards all together, then in the bag beside it I have all the three levels of treasure separated by color (of course right?). Next one is the monster reference cards and main OL deck, and just about off the screen is the Feats plus Shop deck. So out of 10 bags, I don't even unpack 4 of them and it makes setup and breakdown a lot easier I find. And yes, all that fits in the top of the tacklebox without any trouble!

Quote:
Next is what I store in an expansion box for the campaign. Note that we are playing an RtL one right now, so I have the remaining bits of SoB in a box on a shelf somewheres. That one just has the ship tiles, sea encounters, sea map, overworld map and all its SoB only card goodies. All the tokens I keep in the tacklebox though because I didn't want to have to redo the main box if we changed campaigns.

Quote:
Surprisingly, it all fits neatly in here with a little room to spare. Here's what I pack in it, from the bottom up.

Quote:
At the bottom I put the map board, and then the ToI, RtL and SoB rulebooks. Not so much for the rules of course, but for dungeons and stuff obviously.

Quote:
I put the crazy big map pieces in here too, the hedge maze and the encounter start area. Now I should mention, there actually is room in the top area of the tacklebox for even the hedge maze tile but it requires planning. I had to layer out all the monsters evenly and the map tiles I described in its section, then place the hedge down, then card baggies. It fit, but it was a bit tight and if I wasn't being meticulous enough I was rubbing the tile connectors a bit when closing the lid. So, I put both tiles in here as I had the room anyway.

Quote:
Laminated quick reference sheets. Yeah I'm a geek, sue me. We're just doing our first campaign (read my exploits in the forum here, shameless plug: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/841252/re-whats-2e-heres-ano... ) so having to explain to my players the rules and requirements to upgrade themselves each time is tedious, and the less wear and tear on the rulebooks the better as well. Honestly, I'm proud of doing this as its not just really handy, but the lamination process at an office supply store was a lot cheaper than I thought and fast too, I think about $5. I forget which I printed off, but they are doublesided with the pertinent info and refreshers on status stuff and objects in the map and whatnot. And most valuable perhaps is the list of where the skills can be found (in RtL mind you, we haven't done SoB yet) and what they actually do all in one place. Such a timesaver to just hand it over to the heroes and have them look. And lamination is spill proof so that's a big plus! Sorry about the quality of the skill sheet though, I know its not really legible. I pulled most of it from these two links http://www.headlesshollow.com/downloads/games/DescentRTL_v2.... and http://www.headlesshollow.com/downloads/games/Descent_v3.pdf and the skill list from here http://boardgamegeek.com/file/download/8eav2gur0t/RtL_QuickR... so pull whatever you like or use most.

Quote:
Next I pack a scratch pad of paper and two pens, as well as the party record sheets. We just started using the descent online campaign tracker so I don't know how much use this will get anymore but I like keeping everything handy. I had a hero operate as a treasurer properly and keep a record of everything and it helped out huge, especially when recording the sessions to the sheet at the end. Still as you probably know by now, use the site if you can as its much easier and faster but my group will always keep a scratchpad as backup just in case. Finally, I can lay all the in use save state boxes in it and close it all up. With a little bit of room to spare.

There you have it, my guide on taking an AC with you in two boxes. Hope this helps or at least gives you some ideas. Holy crap this took a long time to write up lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have it all inside the Plano 777. There is a thread somewhere that I stole the idea from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Burk
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Rakes, my arch enemy.
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkbauer wrote:
I have it all inside the Plano 777. There is a thread somewhere that I stole the idea from.

The only thing I had against the Plano 777 is that its a big box that holds little boxes. Different strokes and all that, but I'll just state for the record that sliding drawers with almost everything accessible without playing with separate boxes is what sold me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.