Subject: Space Alert as 2 and 3p? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dean Hunt
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
I am looking to purchase Space Alert, but my main group is 3 people, sometimes there are just 2 of us...

How does this game play as 3 and 2p vs 4 and 5?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
It works, but I wouldn't say it's ideal with 2 or 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raviv Nagel
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you should take a look at the fan made Little Duckling (fan expansion for Space Alert).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't get the hate for 2 or 3 player Space Alert. It works just fine with 2 or 3 players. Solo Space Alert is COMPLETELY different, but 2-5 players is great, and more or less the same: You have to talk to another human to coordinate the crew to survive missions.

Cameron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Space Alert. I love it as a solo real-time puzzle, I love playing it 2 player with my brother, or 3 player with him and a mate. I love playing it with 4 or 5 players in a game group too. It plays/feels different with the different number of players and the chaos is lessened with fewer players trying to communicate, but I still think it works well as a game in all cases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2-3 players is just fine. Some of my favorite sessions have been with 3 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Allow me to make it clear, I'm not hating on this game as a 2 or 3 player game. I've definitely had fun that way. I just think it's best with a full crew, especially for first time players. It feels hard enough trying to take care of your own stuff as a new player, I can't imagine trying to manage an android too. Of course the fun of the game is sometimes in watching things fall apart, so I guess that wouldn't be so bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stanislaw Juzwicki
Poland
Sieradz
lodzkie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In 2p you get a totally different challenge. It's not about communication chaos anymore, now it's about efficiency and good timing. I played some 2p games with a friend... We had something like 40-50 missions under our belts at that time, so we knew how to communicate and what to do with the threats. What killed us was that we just did not find the time to manage that one last threat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To learn the game its good to have four people, but as you get stronger you can play it perfectly with 2-3 Players.
also if you are bit trained its not a big problem to learn it one or two new gays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Short answer: no.

Long answer:This is a strict 5P game that works well with 4.

Some people might say otherwise, but don't be fooled. This game isn't even an option with 3 or less people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:

Some people might say otherwise, but don't be fooled. This game isn't even an option with 3 or less people.

You mind backing that up with your reasoning? I completely disagree, and have had almost a hundred games with just one other player.

I don't even see how you can argue it's a strict 5 player game, given that 4 players is exactly the same game except you ignore the unconfirmed reports.

Cameron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
mb
Zimeon wrote:

Hmmm: I have to say that 5 player (in my experience) is just too easy, and (while there's nothing wrong with it) five player is probably the worst way to seriously play Space Alert. The fewer players you have, the harder it is.

Mind you, if you're totally new to the game, four or five is probably best, just because you haven't learned yet how to work well together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zeede wrote:
Zimeon wrote:

You mind backing that up with your reasoning? I completely disagree, and have had almost a hundred games with just one other player.

I don't even see how you can argue it's a strict 5 player game, given that 4 players is exactly the same game except you ignore the unconfirmed reports.

Cameron

First: it was tongue-in-cheek because of the previous posts.

Second: The reason I won't even half consider this for anything else than 5 (or, if you're desperate, 4) is that what I find is the joy with the game is the importance of immediate, fast and non-confused communication between human beings. This game avoids the alpha player syndrome on detailed level because of the time limit; people can bolt out requests of help, but there is simply not time for detailed instructions else than "go there, do something about that meteor and see to that you have energy!".

With 3, this fun of seeing how quick and fast you can communicate and cooperate with a ton of people at the same time, while still doing your stuff on a timer, diminished vastly. Add to this that one or more people will have to control 2 fellows, which in turn diminishes your feel of "you" being there on the ship.

I admit not having played the games hundreds of times – something between ten and twenty – but it was clear after some four or five plays that this communication chaos was the bread and butter of this game. Hence I won't even consider it for anything less than 4, and 4 only if I'm desperate. I'm actually playing it on 6 now and then. The more people shouting silly stuff, the better.

Not saying people can't find fun when playing fewer than 4. Just saying that the enjoyment I get from the game isn't even half there when doing so. And I'm giving this a 10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, the tongue-in-cheek didn't carry through very well. Text-based communication, and all that.

The OP is asking how the game is with two or three players. I think it's great with two or three players. Much fun to be had. While you may prefer it with only five, or even more, that is misleading, because there's nothing wrong with playing it with only two or three players. You still get the "immediate, fast and non-confused communication" with two-players, in fact, if you play with the same partner enough times, it almost becomes like ESP.

Cameron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zeede wrote:
The OP is asking how the game is with two or three players. I think it's great with two or three players.

And I don't. I think it sucks big time with three or (makes cross-sign) 2 players. The OP was asking for opinion, right? Just because my opinion isn't in line with yours doesn't mean that I'm misleading. Just like you, I'm answering the original posters question. The answer is just not the same as yours. Mine is: "No, the game sucks with 2 or 3 players".
It's not the same game at all. I tried playing two players once and realized immediately that this wasn't what the game was. For the chaos to erupt, you must have 3 or 4 other human beings to communicate with. Not just 1. For me, the whole point with the game was that there were five different minds trying to communicate with each other. Playing with 2 or 3 players completely defeats this purpose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
mb
Zimeon wrote:
Zeede wrote:
The OP is asking how the game is with two or three players. I think it's great with two or three players.

And I don't. I think it sucks big time with three or (makes cross-sign) 2 players. The OP was asking for opinion, right? Just because my opinion isn't in line with yours doesn't mean that I'm misleading. Just like you, I'm answering the original posters question. The answer is just not the same as yours. Mine is: "No, the game sucks with 2 or 3 players".
It's not the same game at all. I tried playing two players once and realized immediately that this wasn't what the game was. For the chaos to erupt, you must have 3 or 4 other human beings to communicate with. Not just 1. For me, the whole point with the game was that there were five different minds trying to communicate with each other. Playing with 2 or 3 players completely defeats this purpose.

And again, I've got to say: fascinating! I agree with you completely about Space Alert's glory being in the communication chaos that usually happens. However, in my plays with five experienced players, I find that (generally) people figure out what they're supposed to be doing pretty early on in a mission, and it's (by Space Alert standards!) smooth sailing after that, because each player has his or her assigned task.

In two or three player Space Alert, each player has to handle several tasks, and it's a lot easier to get confused, since you're multi-tasking. No multi-tasking required in five player!

And then there's the androids. Sure, we kinda assign each player an android, but anyone can play a card on them, and MUST play a card on them when the right cards for that android aren't in a player's hand. Then you've got communication chaos galore! "Why are you playing a B card on my android?!" "Because you said you'd play an A on mine!" "I did!" "That's not mine, that's yours!" And, of course, with the androids, you can't take back moves.

Yeah, with five noobs, the communication chaos is wonderful. But with experienced players, you've got to have a lot of responsibilities to have the same chaos. And you get that in a two player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both Simon and Andrew have good points. It just depends on what your definition of chaos is.

Playing a red alert mission with just one other human player is plenty chaotic for me. As Andrew said, the two of you are furiously trying to coordinate yourselves and your android buddies to handle the most terrible threats the game has to offer.

However, if "chaos" is more narrowly defined as "the more people screaming at each other at once, the better" then sure, five players is "better".

Simon, I'm guessing you guys don't have the expansion, and thusly, no red threats?

Cameron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zeede wrote:
Both Simon and Andrew have good points. It just depends on what your definition of chaos is.

Playing a red alert mission with just one other human player is plenty chaotic for me. As Andrew said, the two of you are furiously trying to coordinate yourselves and your android buddies to handle the most terrible threats the game has to offer.

However, if "chaos" is more narrowly defined as "the more people screaming at each other at once, the better" then sure, five players is "better".

Simon, I'm guessing you guys don't have the expansion, and thusly, no red threats?

Cameron

I have it, but haven't tried it yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah D

Arlington
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Basically Space Alert is awesome period.

I would say though, if you can rustle up 4 other people to come over for a whole evening and work through the training missions together, I would highly recommend that. I think there's a whole lot of advantages to that. One, everyone can concentrate on their on character and the chaos is more from attempts to communicate than individual brain-overload, which is I believe more beginner friendly. Also, that way you'll get a larger number of people to learn the game all at the same time.

If later on, you've only able to have 1 or 2 of those people join you for a game I think that will be fine and you should still have a lot of fun.

Yeah, so my vote is go for it, and play it 2 to 3 person, but also, to make the first play / learning session a marathon 5 player get-together. I think that'll give you the best experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.