Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
Situation: We set up scenario 7 - a recon and bombing heavy tasking for the Brits, with only one flight of scouts. I rolled for weather and got "mostly cloudy" in the LOW band.

You can't photograph through cloud and you can't bomb through mostly cloudy bands. Referring to rule 3.1:

Quote:
Weather Determination Phase. Players will roll for at-start weather conditions. Players may re-roll weather results by mutual agreement if the rolled conditions would prevent the scenario from being successfully completed. [my emphasis] Place Sun marker on the appropriate time slot for time of day.

Of the five taskings in this scenario (7), unless weather changes, three (13, 15 and 59 Sqns) would be required to fly below Low+0 to be successful. A fourth (27 Sqn) conceivably could fly up through the clouds to the Medium band and then come down to bomb, but it would be prohibitive, especially if using the navigational error optional rule 10.71.

My opponents graciously offered to permit me to reroll the weather, but I suggested we continue as is, as certainly pilots in March 1917 would have encountered similar low ceiling conditions.

Predictably, almost every recon Squadron was shot down or severely mauled, as the intercepting Jastas comprised of Albatroses hardly had to break a sweat to climb to intercept the intruders. Three of four bombers were shot down.

Two recon planes out of six made it home, and one crashed on landing, having been crippled by enemy fire.

I did not begrudge this result, expected though it was, because I was curious about what my chances would be on a low-level recon effort. I enjoyed the game, but I did want to make some comments.

Comments:

Killer Weather and Mutual Agreement

The weather rule suggests "mutual agreement" to re-roll weather. Some weather might conceivably make missions impossible, while others merely make it very hard. In this case, the altitude restrictions combined with the vulnerability of a recon/bombing heavy tasking made it easy pickings for the German players.

Situations may arise where players cannot mutually agree to re-roll. Obviously this should be discussed and "argued" to some degree. I recommend that in cases where weather cannot be agreed upon, a competitive die roll should be made, with the higher rolling player either allowing the re-roll or keeping the rolled weather as desired.

Tasking Realism

Given the primitive navigation available to pilots of the time (essentially dead-reckoning and VFR-visual landmarking), guiding a plane to climb above a cloud layer, flying to the target and then dropping down through the layer to take photos or bomb, seems to me to be a bit gamey. However, I have not read many accounts of missions of the era besides the scout-oriented ones.

One thought that came to mind with the scenario above was to air start all of the flights at medium altitude bands, fly them to where they needed to be, then drop them down through the clouds to photograph or bomb as required. This seemed to me to be a little "gamey", but perhaps it wouldn't to other players.

Perhaps one would use this "gambit" to counter a player who steadfastly did not agree on re-rolling the weather.

[cross-posted to CSW]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check 10.7 nav error adv. rule. You may modify this. Perhaps forced to going below cloud layer and fly to nearest landmark - city, road, river, woods before climbing through the clouds again.

Playing a wargame is not about winning, but the experience. Flying in bad weather is part of the experience. But a lot of missions was cancelled due to bad weather - not that ahistorical to cancel a flight. If it is an early mission you may reroll and assume a delayed mission (move sun accordingly) - or just agree that mission today is cancelled, and reroll for the same mission postponed to next day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
eker wrote:
Check 10.7 nav error adv. rule. You may modify this. Perhaps forced to going below cloud layer and fly to nearest landmark - city, road, river, woods before climbing through the clouds again.

Playing a wargame is not about winning, but the experience. Flying in bad weather is part of the experience. But a lot of missions was cancelled due to bad weather - not that ahistorical to cancel a flight. If it is an early mission you may reroll and assume a delayed mission (move sun accordingly) - or just agree that mission today is cancelled, and reroll for the same mission postponed to next day.

As I mentioned, they offered to permit me to re-roll - I was actually curious about how well or poorly my flights could do if they were required to work with the weather as it was. Now I know for certain... low ceiling + slow and vulnerable Entente aircraft = almost certain heavy casualties.

I agree completely about wargaming being for the experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Simo
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing to remember about weather in the game is that even if it starts bad, it can/or will change every 10 game turns. So conditions may worsen or get better as the game goes along. I'm on the boat with Christopher, I try to play through a situation with the weather as rolled and hope for the best. Depending on how many turns in the scenario, if it is a long block "60" game turns - you will potentially have at least 5 opportunities for the weather to change - wind shifts, clouds clear up, rain occurs etc. So if I have bad weather to start, I may mull around with the flights waiting to see if things clear up or try to make dashes where possible to get a tasking in where enemy activity is light.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.