Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Guerra
United States
Eagle pass
Texas
flag msg tools
Hey guys

Ive had the game for over a week now, bought 2 cores , 2 Y-wings , 2 Tie Advance, 1 X-wing and 1 Tie Fighter

I've played 7 games so far, and im getting a bit let down by the lack of strategy involved in the dog fighting. please tell me what im doing wrong.

So far i've been the empire in all 7 games, my bother has been rebellion.

He has used the same strategy pretty much in all 7 games. Keep all rebellion ships VERY closed to one another in a tight formation doing basically the same manuevers so they keep in formation. And mostly flying straight line towards me.

I have tried all sorts of strategies, from a full on frontal assault. to try and flank him on one side. flanking on two sides with a small force in the center etc...

So far nothing is working cause when he does get to attack he has 3-4 ships shooting at basically anything and blowing it up. while the rest of my ships are far to the sides. and if he does decide to go towards my flanking ships he would go with all his force taking on my small flanking force, leaving my flankers on the other side too far away from the action, so he outnumbers me every time i try anything but a full frontal assault.

The only time i got at least close to doing anything to his ships was with a full frontal assault with a tight formation (basically copying his strategy). but lost due to awful dice.

that battle went full straight then shoot - 180 turn - shoot- 180 turn - shoot , etc... if i had tried doing anything different my ships would be badly positioned to make a shot but he would still have my ties in his firing arcs...

The problem in my view seems to be that the firing arc is too big...

Please tell me i'm wrong, i really want to like this game, would love to see some REAL maneuvering going on, but i just dont see the point.

note* All battles have been 100pts vs 100 pts. loser is the one whose ships are all destroyed. no scenarios
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean D.
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why don't you try switching sides and see if your brother is simply that much better than you? Were the dice rolls that much different?

I like Darth Vader with swarm tactics, also Backstabber is great if you can have a couple sacrificial TF's to fly out front and act as bait? Its pretty hard to tell what you might be doing wrong without more info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Guerra
United States
Eagle pass
Texas
flag msg tools
well the dice have been consistently pretty dismal for me yeah, in that one game where i went straight on towards him, i fire off with vader and generic tie advanced pilot 2 shots of cluster missiles one each, so 3 dice, 3 dice, 3 dice , 3dice (both cluster missiles), and then once with 2 other tie fighters i had 2 dice 2 dice. all of the abover towards luke skywalker & R2D2 , 16 attack dice, on 6 rolls and all i managed was to take both his shields down (which he later recovered).

but thats not the point, my point is that facing a tight formation moving in tandem , i have found no way to counter it except for mirroring his formation myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Roddy
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Waramir wrote:

So far nothing is working cause when he does get to attack he has 3-4 ships shooting at basically anything and blowing it up. while the rest of my ships are far to the sides.

Are you staying out of the X-wings' front arcs, or minimally keeping out of overlapping arcs? Only the Y's have turrets, and only cause 1 damage with ion (plus that nasty aftertaste). Your TIEs have better turning radius's (radii?) than all rebel ships, so if you can keep your brother's 3-4 attacking ships blasting at 3 or 4 different ships of yours, all hopefully with evade tokens, your pilots should live long enough to whittle down the enemy.

Of course all this is useless if the dice actually hate you...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Foulk
United Kingdom
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What the other posters have said plus remember that your barrel rolls may be enough to get you out of his firing arcs - especially at close range.

Try to get some better pilots and give them the 'Swarm Tactics' card to let you move some of your ships after the Rebels, or use 'Squad Leader' to allow you to throw a free action at a ship in danger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Paul
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind that setup is done in order of pilot skill- lowest to highest.

Thus, you may be able to create flanking opportunities.

As well, often the imperial player chooses evade. But defence doesn't win. Use evade if there will be no rebels in your firing arc. But, focus can be used offensively or defensively - giving you more options.

I've been trying to grok the strategy of the the game as well, and I think there are a couple of "firsts" that control the game.

First shot (i.e. high initiative)

First kill

First forced loss of action (due to overlapping)

As well, based on the reports (the imperials are too powerful or e rebels are too powerful) I believe there are unique strategies for each team.

And finally, squadron building is key. Not all pints are equal - or should be flown the same

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
badge
Have you been successful with forcing collisions? What speeds are you choosing with the TIEs, and what is your strategy when you're choosing your speed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Weiss
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't have enough ties.

The advances face off against the Xs on pretty even terms. At that level the rebels actually have a slight advantage with their teamwork, but the matches depend on who made the best manuevers and who had the best luck. The empire really starts to get ahead when they ditch the advances and just go with a massive Tie swarm. The Rebels can't focus fire enough of them to death fast enough. Get 3 or 4 ties on a single X or Y and it's game over for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Different pilots can help too. For example, Howlrunner lets your friendly ships within 1 range of him re-roll 1 die when attacking. Maybe switch pilots up, add more Ties. You should for sure have more ships than the Rebel force. Take advantage of barrel rolls to get out of firing arc of enemy or get them into yours. Blow right through them and do the reverse maneuver. Gang-up on one or two Rebel ships at a time, keep their R2 from regenerating shields for them by swarming them.

Also, you could throw some asteroids out there in the center of the table about 1 range or more apart. Imperial ships have better maneuvering to help them get through them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cedric Chong
Singapore
flag msg tools
comic style
badge
comic style
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say try to force collisions. And keep on forcing collisions. It breaks apart their formations. And prevents them from taking actions. You have more ships, so other ships will be taking actions. Also, because you move first (with lower pilot skills), you still get to take actions.

I.e. Pilot Skill 1 (Academy Pilots) Activates... moves into position where X-Wings are likely to go. Takes action because it's base is not overlapping yet. X-Wings Activates later... collides into your TIEs. Cannot perform action.

Only point to note is both ships touching cannot target each other. But you have more ships, have advantage of performing actions. This should help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvin Simon
Philippines
flag msg tools
Make America Great Again
badge
Proud member of the Basket of Deplorables
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, but maybe his brother does know he is trying to force collisions and is actively avoiding collisions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Hughes
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you using asteroids?

They make a big difference, as the rebels fare a little better in an asteroid field due to their shields and larger hulls (especially the Y-Wings!)

Just use the set up in the dogfight tournament rules from FFGs website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jak of Shadows

Florida
msg tools
ArcticSnake wrote:
Ah, but maybe his brother does know he is trying to force collisions and is actively avoiding collisions.

I really doubt that. It seems like they are just flying their ships at each other with no strategy at all other than trying to avoid collisions because they are assuming collisions are bad without putting any further thought into it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.