Subject: Waking up to the power of RAIDS rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Antonio Someone
United States
Mt. Ephraim
NJ
flag msg tools
Raids: they're not just for pillaging anymore!

My group has played probably more than a dozen sessions of AGOT now (mostly 4 player games, where the house rule is we ignore the existance of Pyke, which works well). In reflecting on our games, I have noticed that raids are hardly ever used. And I think that that is a bad error on our part! Most of our battles have high combat numbers, and a lot of that is from support. I realize now that we need to use raids a lot more often to help foil enemy support. I think I will exploit this knowledge during our next game! devil

Seriously, if there is any advice I can give, it's don't ignore the power of the raid in order to gain the advantage over your enemies! You need to use multiple armies to flank your enemies' positions and use raids before marching.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
mbmbmbmbmb
I couldn't agree more. A timely raid to suppress a flank or front is very key. We've played the game 5 times. Everyone is always worried about raids and there is lots of whining when raids are revealed.

laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvaro Gonzalez
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do agree too. In our first turns we tryed to guess where our opponents had put "Consolidate Power orders", but then we realize that what we had to guess is where the support orders were (or where were the others raid orders to protect our supports).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are useful, but don't rely on them. If your enemy knows you delight in raids he can easily arrange matters to undo you thereby...

Of course, it is much the same with all orders...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Powell
msg tools
Right. A raid is one of the more difficult orders to place, because if your predictions are a bit off, it can easily turn out to be completely useless. Most orders can still prove somewhat useful if your opponent does something other than you expected, but raid orders are often completely neutralized. If used well, it's devastating, but using them at all is always a bit risky.

I would say, on the whole, that raids are best used in combination with the raven. Slotting in a good raid once you KNOW what your enemy is doing turns a risky move into a devastating sure thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amin
Canada
flag msg tools
http://podcastoficeandfire.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
herufeanor wrote:

I would say, on the whole, that raids are best used in combination with the raven. Slotting in a good raid once you KNOW what your enemy is doing turns a risky move into a devastating sure thing.

This is very true

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.