Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Gordier
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I currently own Combat Commander and Conflict of Heroes: Storms of Steel.

I am looking at possibly selling SoS because it never really clicked with me the way Combat Commander did. I liked CC's large amount of variety and the replayability of the scenario generator. The problem I have with it is the set-up time and relative complexity for first-time wargamers.

Since most of the people I will be playing my games with are not hardcore wargamers, I would like something similar to CC that will lead them into it. Something that is a little quicker to set up and play, and may be less frustrating for new players (a few players found it difficult to manage the hands properly their first time around)

What WW2 tactical game would help with that? Any game offering a slightly different style or set of mechanics is fine, I am just more or less interested in having a gateway game to CC.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom0909
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you necessarily talking about squad based? Nations at War: White Star Rising is a larger scale but fairly simple. Band of Brothers: Screaming Eagles seems to be the current fave for fairly easy squad based WWII. Advanced Tobruk System Basic Game 1a: Screaming Eagles is also pretty straightforward and an intro into a deeper system, but the components aren't much. Only four scenarios; the second basic game is actually fairly complex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While BoB:SE is great for a tactical game, it's not that similar to CC either. BoB:SE has no cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom0909
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
True, but if card-based is a requirement, then it would need to be Memoir '44 I think. And I don't know if that counts as similar to CC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gordier
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answers so far!

No, card-based is NOT a requirement. I am looking for something that has a similar theme and feel, but something with a few different mechanics would actually be preferred so that I actually have 2 different choices.

I'm not really looking for 'CC Light', but simply a game that is a bit easier for beginners that would easily lead into CC. Screaming Eagles looks like it might fit the bill, it's similar enough in concept that I think someone who gets used to that game would look at CC as a fun/new step forward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing BoB:SE is what you are looking for. The next print with updated errata is suppose to be out this month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Carroll
United States
Joplin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might check out Top 10 Tank/Squad-Level WWII Games for some ideas. Also, have you played Frontline: D-Day, or is that too CC-lite?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gordier
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will definitely check out the BoB reprint, is there anything new besides the errata?

I debated getting Frontline for a long time but I found the artwork to be too off-putting. I wasn't into the whole cartoony look. How does it play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MattG666 wrote:
I will definitely check out the BoB reprint, is there anything new besides the errata?

I think that's vastly it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Combat Commander, Up Front, Fields of Fire, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzy┼╝ Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
MattG666 wrote:
I debated getting Frontline for a long time but I found the artwork to be too off-putting. I wasn't into the whole cartoony look. How does it play?

Disregarding the cartoony look, I'd suggest reading the reviews, both positive and negative. For what it's worth, IMHO, it attempted to be a modernized, lighter Up Front and failed. I'm a supporter (my name's on the box) but I was ultimately disappointed with the morale and pinning mechanics and the clear demonstrable first-go advantage. There are some house rules about that help alleviate bits of this, but the game fell flat for me.

Full disclosure: I'm in the "Up Front is the greatest wargame ever made" camp, so anything that purports to be in that vein had better be really good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
DaveyJJ wrote:
MattG666 wrote:

Disregarding the cartoony look, I'd suggest reading the reviews, both positive and negative. For what it's worth, IMHO, it attempted to be a modernized, lighter Up Front and failed. I'm a supporter (my name's on the box) but I was ultimately disappointed with the morale and pinning mechanics and the clear demonstrable first-go advantage. There are some house rules about that help alleviate bits of this, but the game fell flat for me.

Full disclosure: I'm in the "Up Front is the greatest wargame ever made" camp, so anything that purports to be in that vein had better be really good.

if you dont like cartoony, is not BoB going to be a problem?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hipshot wrote:
if you dont like cartoony, is not BoB going to be a problem?

I don't find BoB:SE to be cartoony in terms of art. I don't think Frontline's art is that bad, but at least with BoB:SE you don't have cards. It's just maps, chits, and dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gordier
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the art certainly does not look overly good to me, but it's still passable. I was sort of hoping the new print would do away with that but I don't think I'm in luck.

I don't know how to explain it exactly, but Frontline just did not sit well with me. The soldiers seemed more like caricatures of soldiers. BoB still seems somewhat realistic, although the faceless soldiers do sort of creep me out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gordier
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any other suggestions out there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.