Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm new to the game, it seems the Republic and Imperial versions are already in the box, whats with the extra decked taped to the outside?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eastside, Esq.
United States
Richmond Hts.
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That's the Geek expansion.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dreadnaut wrote:
That's the Geek expansion.


yup thats the geeks expansion , it was a kickstarter promo.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
West Union
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't know anything about it, be warned that it was thrown together as a lark, rather than the result of any kind of careful game development.

It's not the kind of expansion where you automatically add it into the game, because it makes the game better. It's more of an amusement.

Calling it the "geek expansion" is a bit of a misnomer, to me.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
xethair wrote:
Calling it the "geek expansion" is a bit of a misnomer, to me.
As I understand... it was created by help of us geeks.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Sistrom
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's the expansion the the publisher is putting there to really rub it and say "ha Ha you stupid fools that backed us on kick starter. Not only are we going to make sure other consumers can buy this in stores months before you get your copy for cheaper, but we will also give them the kick starter promos too."

Maybe you think I am getting bitter about this, well maybe I am. But seeing the publisher seems to ignore just about everything the kick starter backers say its clear they don't care, so neither do I and why should you.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
waza wrote:
Maybe you think I am getting bitter about this, well maybe I am. But seeing the publisher seems to ignore just about everything the kick starter backers say its clear they don't care, so neither do I and why should you.

Maybe they printed extras and thought they'd be put to good use as promos, but yeah, regardless of how I feel about Kickstarter I get your point.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
waza wrote:
I think it's the expansion the the publisher is putting there to really rub it and say "ha Ha you stupid fools that backed us on kick starter. Not only are we going to make sure other consumers can buy this in stores months before you get your copy for cheaper, but we will also give them the kick starter promos too."


Hey, at least he didn't mention the free copy of Plato 3000 that KS backers were/are/will be given as an apology for the tardiness/lateness/clusterfuck, which also came taped to the front of store copies of GTR:BB in the UK. I've had to endure over a month of taunting from people in my FLGS who were able to buy the new edition of GTR *weeks* ago, complete with the KS-backer expansion *and* the free game (though it's got so old now, the main protagonist has stopped. I think he's had the new edition of GTR for so long that he's forgotten that I'm still waiting for my KS-backed copy).

I'll match your bitterness and raise you a thoroughly hacked off.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Still. Not. In. Huge. FLGS. Must. Be. Patient. And. Not. Angry. devil
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoardGame N00b

California
msg tools
Quote:
Hey, at least he didn't mention the free copy of Plato 3000 that KS backers were/are/will be given as an apology for the tardiness/lateness/clusterfuck, which also came taped to the front of store copies of GTR:BB in the UK.


The two copies I ordered from CoolStuffInc didn't have Plato3000... despite being assured by some Cambridge Games people that they WOULD be included. The management of this entire endeavor has been... suboptimal.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sniezek
United States
Dorchester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
boardgamen00b wrote:
Quote:
Hey, at least he didn't mention the free copy of Plato 3000 that KS backers were/are/will be given as an apology for the tardiness/lateness/clusterfuck, which also came taped to the front of store copies of GTR:BB in the UK.


The two copies I ordered from CoolStuffInc didn't have Plato3000... despite being assured by some Cambridge Games people that they WOULD be included. The management of this entire endeavor has been... suboptimal.


Please understand that in the case of CoolStuffInc - and undoubtedly other stores - they did not order their games directly from CGF. They ordered through their distributor. If their distributor chose not to pass along the Plato 3000 that were provided, that was their decision, and CGF had no control over it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Shanowitz
United States
Bristol
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
csniezek wrote:
Please understand that in the case of CoolStuffInc - and undoubtedly other stores - they did not order their games directly from CGF. They ordered through their distributor. If their distributor chose not to pass along the Plato 3000 that were provided, that was their decision, and CGF had no control over it.

This has been pointed out a few times in other threads, but I just want to reiterate that, early on, Ed specifically did say that CSI preorders would be getting Plato 3000. It was only after this turned into a huge mess that they started saying only preorders directly from CGF would be getting Plato.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
West Union
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
As I understand... it was created by help of us geeks.

Oh, I don't mean it isn't accurate or applicable. It's just that it sounds like something well-designed and refined to enhance the game, like eg, Agricola's Gamer Deck, rather than a thrown together batch of fluff to fool around with.

As for complaints about missing Plato 3000... I have to admit, I really fail to understand how anyone that enjoys Glory to Rome even wants to be trapped playing that turd. When I picked up my Glory to Rome, I handed my Plato 3000 right back to the store owner. CGF's sweetening the delay with such a terrible game kind of blows my mind.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried a partial game of Plato3000. It's no GtR, but as a game of chicken between scoring lots of pts and "going out". It aint half bad. Inv a pasted on theme of a hopefully future is novel for such a game.
theaaron wrote:
csniezek wrote:
Please understand that in the case of CoolStuffInc - and undoubtedly other stores - they did not order their games directly from CGF. They ordered through their distributor. If their distributor chose not to pass along the Plato 3000 that were provided, that was their decision, and CGF had no control over it.

This has been pointed out a few times in other threads, but I just want to reiterate that, early on, Ed specifically did say that CSI preorders would be getting Plato 3000. It was only after this turned into a huge mess that they started saying only preorders directly from CGF would be getting Plato.
Chagrin to say... We were supposed to get gtR much sooner as well, so all bets were off in more ways than one
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.