Subject: Philosophy and gaming rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geekgirl123
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My brother's girlfriend is coming on Saturday and staying till Sunday. She is a philosophy major. The last thesis she did was on philosophy of mind.

Could you recommend a game you think she might like. Also could you give a reason why you think she would like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Steph
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Ergo?
It's basically symbolic logic, which is the basis of philosophy. Can't promise you'll enjoy it too though...

S.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Warrender
United States
Averill Park
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Without a doubt, the game you are looking for is International Philosophy Grudgematch by P.D. Magnus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, there's Sophie's World. I read the book a long time ago, and it was great (basically a lay-person's intro to philosophy), but I don't know anything about this game. Appears to be "just" a trivia game, if you're into that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Talese
United States
Horsham
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride because it is easy to learn and you can't over think it.

Also Through the Ages: A Story of Civ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
War on Terror: The Boardgame.

Get it, and play it, to find out why...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dixit. (I seem to be always recommending Dixit, but then it is an awesome game.)

I reckon she'd get a kick out of something that isn't "game-y" in the traditional sense, where she can find out how people made the decisions to choose certain cards. Great way to get to know someone and how they think a bit better too, plus you already own it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
The one I live with does not like Carcassonne but does like Tri-Ominos.

He likes Ticket to Ride, as long as the kids pay attention & don't dilly dally too much.

But he does not do philosophy of mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael B. Hansen
Denmark
Odense N
flag msg tools
badge
"duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck" Ralph Wiggum .....
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe choose a game that you really like. Your joy of the game will help the other players enjoy it as well.

I noticed that you had Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age listed as an 8, that might be a good starting point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zoran
United Kingdom
London
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Trial of Socrates she may get a kick out of it and inspire her to revisit the Platonic dialogues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DigitalMan
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
Zendo might not be philosophical... but it'll definitely mess with your mind.

(This game can be played with a wide variety of things... we use Legos. Others use Icehouse/Treehouse pieces... and I've seen Zendo played here on BGG with words... and also with images.)

Every gamer should know Zendo. It's in a class by itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey McC
United States
Central Point
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Opus-Dei is basically Guillotine with philosophers. It's full of cards she would recognize, which are themselves full of philosophy history/trivia. Descartes and Aristotle are the highest point characters and the "action" cards are things like "Dualism" and "Cogito, Ergo Sum." As a game, though...well, again it's Guillotine, which I see you've only rated a 6. Maybe not the best choice to introduce to a non-gamer, unless you think theme is the most important factor.

I was halfway through typing a recommendation for Zendo when I saw that Rob beat me to it. To me, the game occupies that interesting space at the corner of Perception and Reality that might suit your guest's thesis. Consider that recommendation heartily seconded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geekgirl123
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ergo - I'm getting it for my brother for Christmas because he studied computer science and so did some of his friends.

Sophie's World - I would get it if I could find it. It seems the board game is not as popular as the book.

War on Terror - I won this game and haven't really looked it but maybe I should.

Dixit- I have it and didn't think of it but it might work well. Thanks for reminding me of this one.

The Trial of Socrates - looks interesting.

Opus-Dei: Existence After Religion - I wouldn't mind a re-theme of guillotine.

Zendo - looks very interesting. I will be trying this one for sure.

Edit: I won war on terror at a con as a prize. I haven't actually played the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
geekgirl123 wrote:
War on Terror - I won this game and haven't really looked it but maybe I should.

Most definitely.

I consider it a game that any 'thinking person' should play at least once, and suggested it here for the same reason I suggested it in the recent 'games as art' thread.

Because, though on the surface it seems a very 'light' (in the 'frivolous' sense of the word), and not particularly serious, or cerebral, and though you may not notice it during play, it, like all good satire, presents you with situations, and choices, that really get to the heart of some deep questions about oneself, one's world-view, and one's system of morality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorcerer will mess with a person's mind.

The Plot to Assassinate Hitler raises some philosophical issues.

Beware of Analysis Paralysis - Philosophers are not always thinking about the game in front of them...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Give her a break!

Finding a game tangentially linked to philosophy is unlikely to be that fun. Just because she studies philosophy does not mean she will want to play a game about philosophy (lovely though your care is). Further, philosophy is a way of being/thinking/seeing by the individual rather than inherent in any object.

Assuming there is 4+ of you - get out Dixit. She'll like it because Dixit is about love and community.

And just to play the game:
Revolution!... in so many ways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:
Give her a break!

Finding a game tangentially linked to philosophy is unlikely to be that fun. Just because she studies philosophy does not mean she will want to play a game about philosophy (lovely though your care is). Further, philosophy is a way of being/thinking/seeing by the individual rather than inherent in any object.

what he said.

I have a diploma in philosophy and tend to keep it out of my gaming (reviewing is another matter...). If I think of the games where my background serves me best (and it doesn't really), I'd say party games:
1. Time's Up (or even better: Celebrities, make your own cards before you play).
2. Wits and Wagers
3. Dixit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.