Popular Tags: [View All]
Rik Falch
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Prolific Osprey WWII artist Ron Volstad will take on the Soldier artwork requirements of Up Front. Need we say more?

First sketch of a soldier;

All of his original Up Front art will also be available in certain premium Kickstarter campaigns including the original painting of the new, soon to be revealed, Up Front cover art.

And just to create a little more excitement, a limited quantity Kickstarter tier will be offered where the supporter will be able to suggest a scene (within reason and can be clarified before pledging) and Ron will work with the supporter to create a one of a kind oil painting of that scene! Just imagine, a personalized and original Ron Volstad on display in your home!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He'll be busy then....

I think his work is perfect for this game! Looking even more for Kickstarter to start!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Over 50 Gamer
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Oliver......one cool cat
badge
MEOW!
mbmbmbmbmb
rri1 wrote:
He'll be busy then....

I think his work is perfect for this game! Looking even more for Kickstarter to start!

+1

I think this is a great direction to go with the art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roar Stensrud
Norway
Tolvsroed
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is really good news. I can hardly imagine a better man for the job!

For many years Ron Volstad has also been doing boxart for Dragon Models. I'm quite sure a few of you build models on the side too and is aware of Volstad's work for Dragon Models. Those of you who are not can take a look here:
http://www.dragon-models.com/d-m-list.asp?sid=1
to get an impression of his excellent work. Look for his signature to find the boxart Volstad has done (he has done most of them).

R.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
A quick Google search for Ron's work under images will show you why he's the perfect choice for the title. And those KS levels ... just wait, they'll be amazing. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dorosh
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Tactical Wargamer's Journal
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Volstad (has lived in Alberta for a long time and still does as far as I know); very humble and interesting to talk to in person. My first exposure to his work was getting copies of Squadron-Signal's "In Action" books as a young model builder in the 1970s. I think we were in elementary school and one of our pastimes was tracing copies of Volstad's colour plates, which have become the gold standard and even at the time were highly respected, certainly by us.

One of the modelling magazines had a good bio of him several years ago, as his own exposure was increased through his work with Dragon. Apparently he was working some tough construction jobs, just a regular guy making a living, when he found he could actually sell his work to publishers like Squadron-Signal. I think he is now firmly in the "never looked back" stage of his life.

Great to hear that he'll be involved with Up Front. I thought his work with Osprey was hitting new highs in recent years - and, in particular, the increased output of Osprey's book line and the reliance on other, lesser known, artists, made his work stand out even more by comparison.

Such as these ones. The artwork is not bad by any means, but I've always preferred Volstads clean flowing art more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Gendron
Canada
Chambly
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm so hyped about this! Volstad is the quintessential war artist IMHO! Nicely done Valley Games!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Muñoz de la Peña
Spain
Seville
Seville
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

You can be sure that the final cards will be awesome! Much better that those fan(home) made redesigns :p
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Maitland
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When can I give you my money?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WOW! Excellent choice. My AH copy is one step closer to becoming a shelf toad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you know this re-print is starting to sound like it's actually going to happen. Let's hope it's not plagued with delays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Over 50 Gamer
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Oliver......one cool cat
badge
MEOW!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sigh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
drmabuse00 wrote:
WOW! Excellent choice. My AH copy is one step closer to becoming a shelf toad.

Shelf toad. laugh That's good. Made me smile at my desk. I'll have to remember that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aaxiom wrote:
You have no idea what injustice has been performed with my money, sir.

That may be, but this isn't the appropriate forum to discuss this. It's off-topic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Sauer
United States
Willow Street
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
anarchy wrote:
aaxiom wrote:
You have no idea what injustice has been performed with my money, sir.

That may be, but this isn't the appropriate forum to discuss this. It's off-topic.

I stand corrected. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dorosh
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Tactical Wargamer's Journal
mbmbmbmbmb
davidmps wrote:

You can be sure that the final cards will be awesome! Much better that those fan(home) made redesigns

How many of which simply stole Ron Volstad art to begin with! Glad he will be getting some money ..."up front"...for his efforts(!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Dorosh wrote:
davidmps wrote:

You can be sure that the final cards will be awesome! Much better that those fan(home) made redesigns

How many of which simply stole Ron Volstad art to begin with! Glad he will be getting some money ..."up front"...for his efforts(!)

Who says he ACTUALLY will?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WAN CHIU
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
P R E O R D E R !!!!!!!

caius wrote:
Prolific Osprey WWII artist Ron Volstad will take on the Soldier artwork requirements of Up Front. Need we say more?

First sketch of a soldier;

All of his original Up Front art will also be available in certain premium Kickstarter campaigns including the original painting of the new, soon to be revealed, Up Front cover art.

And just to create a little more excitement, a limited quantity Kickstarter tier will be offered where the supporter will be able to suggest a scene (within reason and can be clarified before pledging) and Ron will work with the supporter to create a one of a kind oil painting of that scene! Just imagine, a personalized and original Ron Volstad on display in your home!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul West
United States
Staunton
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Excellent news guys!

I also have had the distinct pleasure of spending some time talking with Ron Volstad at the 2008 IPMS convention in Virginia Beach. Ron was there for Dragon as they co-sponsored the event. A very personable and friendly guy who answered all my questions- I have always loved his art style and I think it is the perfect fit for Up Front.

He actually has a studio with uniforms and props at home that he has models use for posing to get sketches on projects.

Looking forward to seeing his work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank god its not cg!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Hamen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Music sucks now....
mbmbmbmbmb
Cole Wehrle wrote:
Thank god its not cg!

Amen brother! Hannibal, Republic of Rome, and Liberte while upgraded component-wise look like a second rate PC game for Windows 95.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Key
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Thank god its not cg!

Can I double-amen that. I'm not sure why game companies think CG looks good, it NEVER does. I think it allows them to not have to pay an artist.... and it shows.

Good move Valley.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob mcgee
msg tools
mbmbmb
Scott Pasha wrote:
Quote:
Thank god its not cg!

Can I double-amen that. I'm not sure why game companies think CG looks good, it NEVER does. I think it allows them to not have to pay an artist.... and it shows.

Good move Valley.

Of course they have to pay an artist. A CG artist. Unless one of them dabbles in CG and does it themselves, but the same could be done if they dabbled with drawing and did the art themselves.

CG just looks less classy imo. But there are some really great CG artists as well. Just take a look at some of the card art for Serpent's Tongue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Kolman
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
Damn....that sketch look fantastic!

I can hardly wait for this game to go live on KS!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.