Popular Tags: [View All]
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
DKI Jakarta - Jakarta Utara
flag msg tools
badge
https://www.facebook.com/gopopnow
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I don't know if the question was already mentioned or answered in the forum. But, I guess no titles were likely to represent the question so, I need to ask.
When you hire a tradesman from the general supply for 2 influence, do you need to do this on your turn when you need to use that tradesman? Or you can hire (stockpiling them in your personal supply) one during your turn even you don't need to use them at that turn?
Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no advantage to stockpiling meeples, though I don't think anything in the rules expressly prohibits you from doing so.

Edit: I can see now you might want to stockpile in case you would lose the influence to some event. You are allowed to do this, according to the rules. You must buy the tradesmen on your turn, but you don't have to use them right away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan C
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose."
mbmbmbmbmb
vardamir wrote:
Okay, I don't know if the question was already mentioned or answered in the forum. But, I guess no titles were likely to represent the question so, I need to ask.
When you hire a tradesman from the general supply for 2 influence, do you need to do this on your turn when you need to use that tradesman? Or you can hire (stockpiling them in your personal supply) one during your turn even you don't need to use them at that turn?
Thanks.

The rules do not say that you cannot hire a tradesman solely to put into your personal supply... But what possible reason could you have for
Doing this? It seems to me like it just limits your flexibility later on -- if, for example, it would have been more advantageous to use that influence to modify a die role, for example.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Orban
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Hello,
you can hire a tradesman when you need one to make one of the actions.
So no, you can't hire a tradesman to have a lot of them in stock.
I don't know for which reason you'd like to to that with the basic game. For the Ladies of Troyes, I can understand why you'd like to do that seeing some new activity cards related to influence.
Have fun,
Alain,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alain13 wrote:
Hello,
I don't know for which reason you'd like to to that with the basic game. For the Ladies of Troyes, I can understand why you'd like to do that seeing some new activity cards related to influence.
Have fun,
Alain,

Interesting, as this is a contradiction of the rulebook. But it makes sense in order to keep the game moving and really only matters in edge cases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Orban
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
QBert80 wrote:
Alain13 wrote:
Hello,
Have fun,
Alain,

Interesting, as this is a contradiction of the rulebook. But it makes sense in order to keep the game moving and really only matters in edge cases.

why do you think it is in contradiction with the rule book ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The English rules, page eight, say:

Before countering a black die, or executing an action, you may spend your influence points in various ways, in addition to your main action:

2 points: add a citizen from the general supply to your personal
supply

It says nothing about needing to place the citizen directly onto the board. Just that you can buy these guys for two influence and place them in your supply, hoarding them as the OP suggested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Alain, thanks for the clarification. I thought so as well, but just to clarify the rules, since me and my friends got into an argument last time on this case.
About your question why, a friend asked me this because he wanted to stock his tradesman for later use while he has influence and there was an event that make you lose 2 influences. So the next round he would lose 2 influence and he still did not receive VP, so he thought that it would be more effective if he get the penalty but did not get his VP taken.

So, this can't be done, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Orban
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
QBert80 wrote:
The English rules, page eight, say:

Before countering a black die, or executing an action, you may spend your influence points in various ways, in addition to your main action:

2 points: add a citizen from the general supply to your personal
supply

It says nothing about needing to place the citizen directly onto the board. Just that you can buy these guys for two influence and place them in your supply, hoarding them as the OP suggested.

you're totally right !!!!!
sorry for my mistake whistlewhistle
I've never done that in the millions of games I played but it's totally legal and the reason of doing that can be not loose influence point with the corresponding event !!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Orban
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
vardamir wrote:
Hi Alain, thanks for the clarification. I thought so as well, but just to clarify the rules, since me and my friends got into an argument last time on this case.
About your question why, a friend asked me this because he wanted to stock his tradesman for later use while he has influence and there was an event that make you lose 2 influences. So the next round he would lose 2 influence and he still did not receive VP, so he thought that it would be more effective if he get the penalty but did not get his VP taken.

I was wrong, this is totally legal and your friend should have been allowed to do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, thanks for the clarification. It really should only matter in rare instances, but it's nice to know the rules are correct on this point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh so now this can be done?
Okay, thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Stewart
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's sooo Hot out here...
mbmbmbmbmb
Alain13 wrote:
vardamir wrote:

I was wrong, this is totally legal and your friend should have been allowed to do it.

Its still a weak move...if you are in a predicament where you have no meeples but influence, I would keep influence... if yku take a meeple off abuilding to use...later on you could use a die for 2 bucks to maneuver to the front of tbe line....you vet your cake and eat it too....

More disadvantages in buying meeps prematurely...i.e. Indicating to a certain extent the lack of that bonus card in your hand...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lufia22
msg tools
I was coming to the forums to ask this question.

I've been playing Troyes on BGA and I haven't noticed a way to hire a tradesman without first needing to place one. Maybe I'm missing it or is that rule just not implemented correctly on BGA?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.