Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most reviews are written very soon after a game is released. Makes sense. Reviews are probably read primarily by people interested in new games and there’s a pressure to get reviews up quickly. The thing is that those reviewers have only played the game a few times, probably only once. I know my opinion has changed on some games after more than one play. So I got to thinking about writing reviews of older games. I won’t spend a lot of time regurgitating the rules. Initial reviewers have that covered. I’ll try to focus on opinions and maybe some strategies I’ve seen after numerous plays.

I would never had known about this game if I hadn’t heard about it on the Spiel podcast. They did an episode about small company card games and this was one of them. Hey, I have to give out credit where credit is due, eh?

Let’s take care of the ugliest bit right away. The card finish sucks. The cards are thick enough, but they are coated with some sort of plastic that attracts fingerprints, etc AMAZINGLY easily. I saw right away that this was going to be a problem, so after wiping them all down, I sleeved them. Problem solved. Except now there’s no way they’ll fit in the box they came in. Um… okay so I got another little box to hold the cards. New problem solved.

Your theme here is immigration. Exciting, right? Just get past it. Once you see what you’re doing, that’s not going to matter so much to you.

Basically, players are taking turns drafting cards from two different displays of six cards. As cards are acquired, they go in a line in the order you acquire them. You will care about that order and thus you’ll care about what you’re drafting. Some cards help you draft other cards. Some cards are about points. Perhaps most importantly, some cards help you KEEP the cards you have. Trying to maximize your score is all well and fine, but adding in the need to feed all of them constantly is the real kicker.

You keep going around drafting cards until you go through the deck. Then everyone looks down and adds up their score to see who’s won. There are three types of goods you can score for having a majority. There is one good that just flat out scores by having it. And the trickiest scoring to figure out is based on your line order. Each card has one of six different background colors. The more cards you can line up without duplicating a color, the more points you get. As soon as you duplicate a color, you start evaluating how big the next “set” is, and so on. All of these “set” scores will make up most of your points.

I don’t have a lot of sage advice on playing this game. You want to make longer sets, but don’t let that dominate your thinking. That really seems to kill new players. You need some sort of “infrastructure”. The people have to be fed or they’ll die and then it really doesn’t matter how good they were when you picked them up. Also, if you don’t get in on some of the different goods, even if you aren’t trying to get a majority in them, then you’re going to limit your choices as to what you can draft on your turn. In fact, I’ve often seen newer players NOT drafting at times because there wasn’t anything they were eligible to pick up.

This is a great little filler at an equally good price point and I’d recommend it to anyone who might be interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Foster
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What an entertaining review. This is a game I have had for a while but have not yet played. Reading your review makes me realize that I need to get it to the table. Thanks, well done!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael zalter
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review. I played it a lot when I first got it. Haven't played it for a while. You reminded me how much of a great game it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Nealley

Ardmore
Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I agree- this is a set collection game with a different angle, and it makes for a nice little game.

I love trying to manipulate the amphorae to drop a duplicate color to create a longre string (5 or 6 different colors) near the game end.

But managing all of the factors and guessing at what will be available to you definitely keeps you thinking in this game.

Another nice game from Eric Vogel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Vogel
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review. I agree that the high gloss cards aren't ideal. I actually ordered a matte finish from the manufacturer but got this instead.

On the plus side though, they are fairly water-resistent.

IOS version is still in the works BTW. Just delayed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
herendil66 wrote:
I love trying to manipulate the amphorae to drop a duplicate color to create a longre string (5 or 6 different colors) near the game end.

Have you had much luck with that? The rules describe this idea, but I have found it's a great theory that very rarely works in actual practice. Since you can't let anyone with an amphora starve, you really don't have many options when it comes to letting people go. It's pretty much only the three Roman colors that tend to starve and those are NOT the colors that you're wanting to get rid of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.