Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most reviews are written very soon after a game is released. Makes sense. Reviews are probably read primarily by people interested in new games and there’s a pressure to get reviews up quickly. The thing is that those reviewers have only played the game a few times, probably only once. I know my opinion has changed on some games after more than one play. So I got to thinking about writing reviews of older games. I won’t spend a lot of time regurgitating the rules. Initial reviewers have that covered. I’ll try to focus on opinions and maybe some strategies I’ve seen after numerous plays.

If you’ve read the rules (or perhaps watched a review) for this game, you might think this game is about collecting ships and crew and sending them out to make money and victory points. Five turns later, somebody will win. Nothing sounds new there and I can understand why some might give it a pass. That is NOT what this is all about though. I played it and loved it and this has to be one of the most popular games in my current group. I can’t MAKE anyone like (or dislike) this game, but I can try to get across what’s really going on and you can decide if it might be up your alley even if you first thought it wasn’t.

This game is really about timing, pressing your luck, and risk management. What this seems to often translate into is that YOU are your own worse enemy as you botch one of these three things. I don’t want to teach the game here, but I have to explain how the worker placement works so that you can see how different it is from other games that sound similar.

Each turn, each player will get four “workers” (I’m going to just ignore the special patrons you can get). First player puts one down, then the second player, and you go around four times putting them down. There are also a set of numbered disks. When you put your “worker” down, you also choose one of those numbers and lay it on top. Once all of the “workers” have been placed, they all execute IN NUMERICAL ORDER. So maybe I rushed over to get a “worker” down somewhere I was afraid I’d miss out on, but I choose a high number for it. I want to do that action, but I don’t want to do it until the end of my turn. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen someone mess up that sequence and I don’t exclude myself. So that covers the timing…

Pressing your luck comes with choosing the lower (a.k.a. faster) numbers. Each turn, a “bar” will be set. Perhaps it’s set at 9. That means every action numbered 9 or higher will execute normally. Any numbers before 9 have to pay an additional cash penalty to execute equal to 9 minus that number. So if I chose a 7, I’d pay two before I could even take that action. The trick here is that AFTER all of the workers are placed but BEFORE the actions are executed, the bar can move up to three in either direction. So maybe I picked a 7 and the bar jumped UP 2 to the 11 and suddenly my action will cost me 4 to execute. On the flip side, the bar could suddenly jump DOWN 2 to the 7 and now the action I thought I might pay extra for will cost me nothing extra. As the game progresses, this variance becomes more predictable, but you’ll never know for sure. That’s where you’re pressing your luck because you will often want an action to go off before the other players’ actions.

The risk management goes hand in hand with the pressing your luck. Can you make enough money to cover any variations that might develop? If you can’t, should you choose “safer” numbers that you know you’ll get to execute?

I can give out a couple of strategy tips that are readily apparent after playing a few times, but I’ll mention them in case you’re new to the game. First of all, the Navigation Phase is a KEY part of the game. Manipulating the traffic flow of the ships can really help you and hinder others. Don’t just blow off the Merchant ships as a way to get an extra bonus when you place them. They can cause critical traffic problems during the Navigation Phase.

You can send out more than one ship with one action as long as both ships are going to the same port. No, it’s not always an easy thing to pull off, but that little extra efficiency can be a lot of help. Look for those opportunities.

If you’ve only read this review, you don’t really know how this game is played (and probably haven’t understood half of what I’ve said). This review is more supplemental., but I think it adds information that you really need to know so that you can understand what distinguishes it as a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Gelven
Australia
Morphett Vale
South Australia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great to see some positive comments about this game. It was an instant hit at my gaming group and has made it the table quite regularly.

The rules were bit of a challenge at first however.

cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Maggi
Italy
Rome
Rome
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good review.
I've played only one game of Vasco da Gama, I've found it enjoyable yet a bit too much "on rails" compared to similar games. I've appreciated the innovative mechanic that - has you said - gives the game both a push-your-luck and risk management feeling, but I wasn't really sure about the fixed procedure enforced by the game "get ships, get crew, get captain, sail, gain points". Of course there are small variations and subtle differences depending on which ships you get and where you place them, but it kinda felt "seamy" with a very limited sense of progression throughout the game.

Obviously these are just first-time impressions, impressions that I'll be more than happy to see fade with further plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Walsh
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too have played this a fair bit - perhaps 15 times and am always happy to play it again . My view is that if you are a fan of Euros you will find enough here to distinguish it from others .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jbrier
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:
Most reviews are written very soon after a game is released. Makes sense. Reviews are probably read primarily by people interested in new games and there’s a pressure to get reviews up quickly. The thing is that those reviewers have only played the game a few times, probably only once. I know my opinion has changed on some games after more than one play. So I got to thinking about writing reviews of older games.

I really applaud this effort!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
Nagold
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I watched a video review of Vasco da Gama. This reviewer did not seem to be very fond of the game. But who was it...

Thx a lot for a well thought out positive review unlike well that video. Thx really!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xeenu wrote:
I think I watched a video review of Vasco da Gama. This reviewer did not seem to be very fond of the game. But who was it...

Thx a lot for a well thought out positive review unlike well that video. Thx really!!

That same reviewer has only ever posted one other video review with so much negativity and it was for a little game called Hawaii. You may have heard of it since it ranked so highly with all of the major game awards this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
miloboy gogogo
Thailand
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gelvo wrote:
Great to see some positive comments about this game.
cool

A lot of negative review ?

I really love this game
my group love them
we play more than 10 games in 2 days

I really like tunr order system of this game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
miloboy gogogo
Thailand
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our boardgame club president just told me this game got
a really bad review from dice tower

Me : Who's him ?
President : He's the most famous board game reviewer

So I just watch review video.

He really hate this game
and even throw a game away -0-

Well This is one of the great game.

So what can I say ?

Do not believe that over self confidence guy

Try the game by yourself if you have a chance.

Ps. I never judge the game by any reviewer . I must try them myself if I have a chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
Nagold
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do trust reviewers. Certain ones. It does not instill confidence if a reviewer throws a game off the roof. Or does some fake apology. And over confident does seem to be not far off the mark. You may be into something here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
miloboy gogogo
Thailand
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xeenu wrote:
I do trust reviewers. Certain ones. It does not instill confidence if a reviewer throws a game off the roof. Or does some fake apology. And over confident does seem to be not far off the mark. You may be into something here.

sorry I'm not native English user.
I don't understand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xeenu wrote:

You CAN build a level of trust with certain reviewers, but only after you understand them. For example, I read a review a few years back where the guy just HATED a game (Medici) and everyone else was seeming to like it. A little more investigation showed that he'd also said before that he hates auction games... and that's what the game I was reading about was. He did a grave disservice to the readers by not disclosing that up front because, quite frankly, if he already hates auction games then why in the world would we care that he hates yet another one?

Tom Vasel (The Dice Tower) does like some Euros, but he really likes Ameritrash better. While his description of new Euros can be useful, his opinions of them is nearly meaningless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
Nagold
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
miloboy wrote:
Xeenu wrote:

sorry I'm not native English user.
I don't understand.

I basically meant that You are right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
miloboy gogogo
Thailand
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe this guy is full of Bias

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tomvasel/the-dice-tower...

I dare him to give a bad review to company that paid him

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
Nagold
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
May I ask where the link leads to? I only get some picture of the dice tower logo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Weckermann
Canada
Powell River
British Coumbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A Super game, our games group loves and so do all i taught it to. Just came back from Gottacon, hosted the game to a pair of young girls and guys who loved it. Later in the convention the girls sought me out to ask what was that game again? They were intent on buying it as compared to other games they played at Gottacon.
Stupid comments made in a review by the dice tower lead to this picture and comments there in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
miloboy gogogo
Thailand
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xeenu wrote:
May I ask where the link leads to? I only get some picture of the dice tower logo.

Sorry

Edited

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.