Popular Tags: [View All]
David Dixon
United States
Mauldin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just watched the documentary Restrepo.

I realize that I'm pretty late to the the party, since it has been out for awhile, but due to my own personal experiences I make it a point not to watch war movies, fictional or otherwise. But, I'd heard from lots of people, army and civilian to watch this one.

I can honestly say I don't think I've ever seen more honest, sincere, and outright-truthful portrayal of combat and combat arms soldiers than in Restrepo. It brought so much back to me from my Iraq days (even though Restrepo occurs in Afghanistan); somehow, the whole thing felt familiar. The physical landscape was different than anything I've ever actually seen, but the emotional landscape was intimately familiar.

The unrelenting frequency and intensity of the combat those guys went through for 15 months blows away practically anything seen by an other US soldiers since Vietnam or maybe even Korea. Its like they took the most intense combat experiences I had in my whole first year in Iraq and did them every single week for months on end.

Absolutely amazing.

I'm a tough guy, generally, but Restrepo literally left me sitting on the couch crying. It's that real, and that intense. If you want to know what combat is like, Restrepo is as close, I think, as you can get without being there.

If you haven't seen it, you should.

Diis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
In the latest issue of Rolling Stone (or the one right before it), there's a brief review of a novel that the reviewer calls the first Iraq War-based fictional work, written by a vet. Darn my memory, though, can't recall the title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
Korangal is about as bad as Afghanistan gets. Restrepo is about as good as documentaries get. This should be required viewing for everyone.

There is a similar documentary by HBO called "The Battle for Marjah" that follows the Marines in Helmand Province in 2010.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw Restrepo in the theater when it was released. A very powerful film.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Kob
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
I saw it in the theater when it came out as well. Definitely a perspective changing film.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I have read "War" by Sebastian Junger which is based on the same experiences he and Hetherington experienced while embedded in Afghanistan. I recommend it. I have not seen Restrepo yet, but it's something I had meant to.

Tim Hetherington who directed and produced Restrepo was killed in Libya.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/21/world/africa/21photographe...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm posting this from Afghanistan...

Though I'm an air force guy, and a pilot - so I'm VERY much inside the wire. I have a great deal of respect for those who have to go out and man the firebases, or patrol in bad guy land - my current job is manned tactical ISR, so a good percentage of my work involves keeping an eye on the friendlies on the ground and trying to keep them out of trouble (or, worst case, helping them out with tactical intelligence if they do find themselves in a fight...)

So, anyway, those that have been there (and those who are there) - I realize my Afghanistan experience is very different from yours, and I have the highest respect for how tough your job is here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
I'll think of something witty to put here...
mbmbmbmbmb
Diis wrote:
I just watched the documentary Restrepo.

I realize that I'm pretty late to the the party, since it has been out for awhile, but due to my own personal experiences I make it a point not to watch war movies, fictional or otherwise. But, I'd heard from lots of people, army and civilian to watch this one.

David, have you seen any of Generation Kill?
It's by David Simon and Ed Burns, who did The Wire (I don't know if you've seen that, but it's known for being gritty and realistic).

I'd be interested in hearing your take on it, I love reading your posts. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Superb film, really brought the war home for me. The book 'Infidel' is a very nice companion to the documentary. Its essentially a photo essay from their time there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.