Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Guys, I'm returning to my reviews after a few years off. I've still been gaming, just not as up to date on my reviews, but I'm excited to get back into the swing of them. I've recently just gotten married and that and a few other things have kept me from being more active in my posts.

I love board games. I love the strategy and decisions that go into them, and especially, I love that I can have fun while thinking. My gateway game was the Settlers of Catan, and my favorites are kind of all over the board with a range from Puerto Rico to Space Hulk.

So that's me - a background about my opinions - my reviews follow the same format every time, because these are the criteria I like to think about when I'm looking at purchasing a game. Feel free to check out my other reviews.http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/browse/boardgame/0?usern...

And now I'd like to take a look at a new game of zombie killing guts and glory, Zombicide!

1. The Components
This game comes with some great components. The blue ribbon here are the miniatures, the game comes with over 70 of them, 6 hero figures in their own player color, and 65 zombies of four different types. There are nine double sided map tiles, which are numbered in no logical way. Lots of counters for spawn points and objective makers, and the car markers. A few simple red six sided dice, six character sheets, and two decks of small cards. I wish the cards were larger, but they certainly do work. The art of this game, I think is fantastic. I think it really has the gritty almost brutal look that helps to set the mood of the desperation set by the theme. One of the main points of contention about this game was that the rule book was not well written. I don't feel that way. In fact, after reading all of the negative comments about this game here on the 'geek, I was kind of bummed out that I ordered it, but figured I'd be able to trade it for something I really wanted. Then it arrived, and looked great. My wife and I decided to try it, and we loved it. I found that I didn't agree with any of the criticism and had a great time playing. I'd be glad to answer any question about what criticisms and how I feel this game overcomes them. Lastly, 1 comment about the rulebook, it's got some great art, as does the very box the game itself comes in. I give this game a great score on it's components.

2. The Theme
This game is drenched in theme. I love the fact that it's a cooperative game. I've played Last Night on Earth tons of times, and gotten so tired of playing the zombies. Aside from the few strikes you can take at a hero that will actually mean something, the heroes definitely have much more meaningful decisions in the majority of the game. The cooperative feel of this game just helps tie it all together. Another thing that I love about this game is the amount of Zombie miniatures that come in the game. You'll reach a point in the game where you'll certainly have almost all of them on the board chasing after your desperate band of survivors. The art of the game as well, really helps bring in the theme. This game is definitely a great game for you if you love the zombie theme.

3. The Concept
The front of the game box nearly says it all, "Team Up, Gear Up, Level Up, Take 'Em Down." Your team of players will play as a group of survivors that has survived the zombie apocalypse and needs to survive by completing the objectives of different missions included in the rule book, and now on Guillotine Games' website. Over the course of a mission you'll search buildings for equipment to allow you to kill the zombies bent on ripping you to shreds. One of my favorite aspects of the game is the fact that each time you kill a zombie, you gain an experience point. Gain enough of the experience points and you'll gain a level. You can go from Blue level, then to Yellow, Orange, and Red. This will do two things, make your survivor more skilled, as well as increase the number of zombies chasing after you. I love the fact that this game gets harder as time goes on. One of the things I didn't like about Last Night on Earth was that after getting the right set of equipment, the game felt too easy with the right group, giving the zombies almost no chance. In Zombicide, it's very easy to die. Two wounds for a hero and they'll join the hordes of undead chasing after the rest of you. This means that you'll always have to be careful, and generally it's in your best interest to travel together. Admittedly, I haven't played all of the scenarios, but the ones that I have played have been very challenging, with the survivors only winning three games, in about a dozen. No one seems to mind this though, because you still have a blast laughing about how desperate your situation gets.

4. The Ending
The end of a mission can get very intense! In quite a few of the games, it's often up to one of the survivors to sacrifice themselves to save the rest of the crew. While I can't speak for every mission in the book, I have played 5 of them, and they've each been difficult, but very entertaining and fun.

5. The Game play
Moves quickly. Each turn a player has 3 actions (at least at the beginning) so the players will quickly move through their turn. After each round of the survivor turns, the zombies will attack, move and then spawn additional flesh-eaters. The desperation caused by how deadly the zombies are, cause for some really tough decisions in this game. There are some really intense dice rolls that will depend whether your character lives or dies, and it keeps you on the edge of your seat.

6. Replayability
I usually dislike games that have prepackaged scenarios because this is where they take a hit, but the game hasn't officially shipped out yet to anyone but Kickstarters and CoolStuffInc purchasers, and already Guillotine Games has released an additional scenario "Lost" which I really like. I think if Guillotine keeps us the support and comes out with a good expansion, this game will continue to be one that I love to get to the table, no matter how many times I've played it.

7. The "Luck" Factor
There is lots of luck involved in this game, but I think it just adds to the thrill and makes the game even more entertaining. There will be unlucky rolls that you'll make that will require someone else to rush to your zone and save you with a Crowbar. This isn't a perfectly balanced strategy game, and it wasn't meant to be. This game is absolutely perfect for what I wanted from a Zombie game, and I love it so far.

Conclusions:
My review has gone a little longer than I usually do, but as you can tell, I love this game. I was afraid that it would fall short in a lot of ways because of criticism here on the 'geek, but I've gotta say it's a favorite here at my house. We can't wait to grab our chainsaws, strap on the Goalie mask and go to town. Hopefully this review has helped you to see that Zombicide is a great game, and helped you decide whether or not it's something you'd like to pick up.

Please include any thoughts about the review,

and as always, Thank you for reading!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gosh... then it IS just me... I played it twice, solo, and it fell FLAT as a carpet... snore I will try it out coop with a dear friend who loves zombie games, and if it falls flat even with him, it's off to the selling pile... or I might even paint all the minis (from the abomination pledge level) and THEN sell it for 3 times it's price devil

Nonetheless, thanks for the review: it was a nice read

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dudley Drummond-hay
South Africa
flag msg tools
Great review. I feel exactly the same about the game. Very few games have come close to the high-five hooting type ending that this game has. I have also read the reviews about the rule book and think they are completely unfounded. People have forgotten how to read or how to play a game for fun. No every game is about managing a spreadsheet. Keep to the spirit of the rules if you don't know exactly what to do and play because it is fun.

As for solo play this is definitely not the game for it. Nothing like sharing the tension you feel when 50+ zombies are stalking your every move as you desperately search for the last item before legging to the exit. And yes even though it is cooperative, deciding which survivor to feed to the horde so the rest can get away involves some tense negotiation.

I rate this most fun game of the year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bubba P
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review! I love this game for solo fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another great aspect, my wife likes to play it! We played like six times last night, granted quite a few of those were quick failures, but we had a blast with some friends over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.