Hide
7 Posts

Friday» Forums » General

Subject: Did I Just Get Really Lucky? A "Level 1 Seemed Too Easy" Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jacob Nushmut
msg tools
Just played my first game and enjoyed it thoroughly. I am concerned, though, that I made some kind of rules mistake, because I found Level 1 very easy and won with a pretty good 112 points.

I aggressively trashed early on, eating through my life points just to draw more 0's and -1's to trash. I trashed every -1 on my first run through my fighting deck.

As the game got going, I seemed to get pretty lucky with the one or two "destroy" cards in my deck, frequently drawing them alongside the aging cards I'd acquired (you can use "destroy" on aging cards, right?). By the time I got to about a third of the way through the yellow phase, my deck was solid enough that I was picking the hardest hazards and usually beating them, while slowly rebuilding my life.

I fought the "each additional fighting card costs 2 life points" pirate first, and quickly dispensed with him, only having to buy one extra fighting card with life points. I then fought the "each face up fighting card counts +1 fighting points," and beat him with relative ease as well.

At the end there was only one aging card left in my deck. I had 40 points from my fighting deck, 30 from the pirates, 60 points for my twelve remaining life points, and -18 points from remaining hazard cards, for a total of 112 points.

Does that sound like a plausible first game on Level 1? Can you think of anything I might have done wrong to make the game too easy? Thanks for your help, everyone; I want to bask in my first-attempt solid voctory, but I have a nagging feeling I did something illegal. I know there've been threads like this before; thanks for being patient with me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
One possible error...you can only trash cards equal to the cost by which you failed a hazard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Nushmut
msg tools
Thanks for commenting, Paul! I did correctly only trash as many cards as I could with the number of life points I had to pay to lose. Many times during the green stage I chose the harder hazard card on purpose, so that I could lose by a greater margin and get to trash more cards, and if I was (for instance) losing by 3 but only had two bad cards on the field, I would pay a life point in hopes of getting another 0 or -1 I could trash. That's what I meant by that comment (:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds reasonable Jacob. I haven't tried taking the higher challenges first time round so I could trash a lot - I take the lower challenges to make sure that I can trash cards equal to exactly what I have to pay. I'm not convinced of the wisdom of paying 1 to draw a -1 card - that means trashing that card cost you one more. If you'd managed to draw a -1 against a 1/0 encounter, it would work out exactly right.

Sometimes when you play the Destroy cards and the Aging cards just won't come out together, even with Look At 3 powers, and those are the painful times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Vos
Netherlands
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say you found the optimal strategy in your first game, which is not that unlikely. Some people take a couple more games to beat level 1. Personally, it took me 5 games to win, but since then I've only lost once and consistently scored more than 100 points (level 1). Others take a bit longer.
The strategy is pretty straightforward if you think about it, so I'm not surprised you won so easily the first time you played. Don't worry about winning so easily. Once you figure out the right strategy (which you did from the get go), level 1 is easy peasy and you'll quickly want to move on to level 4 (and beyond). I wouldn't waste time on level 2 and 3 if I were you (I didn't and I don't regret it).

Good luck and have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the powers have some fiddly rules, the publisher has been good to respond to those questions in the rules forum. Might check those out to make sure you are using those correctly. But sure it's plausible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think one of the easier rules to overlook is that all of the action cards like destroy, double, copy, and below strictly operate on *other* cards. So you can't, for example, activate an exchange ability on the activated card itself. If you do that, it makes the game easier: draw a 2x exchange, exchange the 2x exchange card and another card, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.