Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's finally happened. After buying two core sets, two Y-Wings, two TIEs, two TIE Advanced, and an extra X-Wing, I think I have enough games for years. Between this game and 1812: The Invasion of Canada, I have at least two games in my collection that I find endlessly replayable. I could play 1812 forever and never be bored of it (ask me in 5 years though), and my friends are big enough Star Wars nuts that this will always be fun.

We haven't even played a scenario - in our two games so far, we just grabbed a bunch of fighters each and tried to blow each other up. It's so perfectly simple and Star Warsy.

It will, however, be super hard not to buy any of the Wave 2 ships. Damn it. Ok, so maybe I can let myself do that. But then, no more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to say, how can you say no more buys with Wave 2 around the corner?!?

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mbmbmbmbmb
I might not buy any Wave 2 ships because I'll have to buy a larger table if I do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
futhee wrote:
I might not buy any Wave 2 ships because I'll have to buy a larger table if I do.

I play on the floor...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackSpy wrote:
futhee wrote:

I play on the floor...

Just don't get up and walk around!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bogen
United States
Verona
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's funny, but your two obsessions are my EXACT SAME two obsessions, 1812: Invasion of Canada and X-Wing. I, too, absolutely love the 1812 game, which I find is becoming an even deeper game the more I play it.

While I don't share your philosophy of not buying more anytime soon, though I probably should! I can't wait for Rebellion, the next in the Birth of America series to come out, and I already have my X-Wing big ships on pre-order.... Too many games, so little time.

Game on!

- Scott
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BogenBlitz wrote:
It's funny, but your two obsessions are my EXACT SAME two obsessions, 1812: Invasion of Canada and X-Wing. I, too, absolutely love the 1812 game, which I find is becoming an even deeper game the more I play it.

- Scott

Damn it, Scott, you live in Wisconsin, which by my crude calculations is a bit too far for me to cycle to weekly for board gaming. Perhaps you would like to move north to beautiful Toronto, Canada? We have plenty of maple syrup, bad sports teams, and alternative spellings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
futhee wrote:
[...] We have plenty of maple syrup, bad sports teams, and alternative spellings.

@Dennis: Thanks. You just made my day. Your last comment gave me a real good and long laugh over here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt H
United States
Morganton
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cut_ wrote:
futhee wrote:
[...] We have plenty of maple syrup, bad sports teams, and alternative spellings.

@Dennis: Thanks. You just made my day. Your last comment gave me a real good and long laugh over here

Same here. My best friend is Canadian, and I couldnt help but laugh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
futhee wrote:

It will, however, be super hard not to buy any of the Wave 2 ships. Damn it. Ok, so maybe I can let myself do that. But then, no more!

"Ah, the Millenium Falcon...you want this...don´t you?" devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cox
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is the gentleman with the BroStache invited to this party?
mbmbmbmbmb
To the OP and others, just out of curiosity, what makes this game so good? And so good that you don't see yourself needing to buy any other games for years?

I, like many who post to BGG, have a natural pre-disposition to want to collect things, including games with many expansions like this one, but I've yet to find one that I want to go "all in" on.

I am also an avid Star Wars fan who has loved and loathed various Star Wars cash grabs over the years.

Currently, I have a pretty extensive Star Wars Miniatures collection that hasn't been played. I always had a dream to set up a sweet diorama on the shelf, but never did. I also had a dream to play a bunch, but don't really have regular opponents. Heck, I've even been collecting the Star Wars (Saga) RPG books in hopes that I might use the miniatures for that, but I've yet to play.

Sure, these X-Wing Miniatures ships look incredible (I cannot stress this enough), but is the game good? Is it worth the investment? Or am I going to have a set of "shelf-display" Star Wars ships sitting in a box in my closet 5 years from now?

I guess after writing all that, basically I'm asking if I should sell off my Star Wars Miniatures collection and pick up Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures, or shift my focus to filling out my Memoir '44 or Arkham Horror collection, or start a Talisman (Revised 4th Edition), Commands & Colors: Ancients, Commands & Colors: Napoleonics, PitchCar, or GIPF Project collection. (As you can see, I'm on the cusp of quite a few different things.)

P.S. You made me put 1812 back on the want list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Star Wars Miniatures too, and it's never seen the table, even though myself and my son are avid Star Wars fans. Not really sure why, it just hasn't. However, X-Wing has hit the table at least a dozen times now, and I can't wait to play another game!

Trying to boil down why X-Wing is such a success with me:
- The models are just super, amazing, awesome.
- The game play is very fast
- It's not over complicated (explain how to play in less than 5 minutes)
- Even though the mechanics are simple, there's a lot of depth to be had here.
- The setup isn't complicated (takes less than 10 minutes to spend pts)
- FFG treated the source material with kid gloves (the look, the abilities, the miniatures, the theme, everything is perfectly Star Wars)
- Did I mention the miniatures are super, amazing, awesome?

All of the above, oh and they're putting out the Millennium Falcon. Drool.

I have to add, a lot of "miniature" games look better in their promo pictures than they do in real life. Not so with this game. The figures are really that good. Heck, I'd even say better up close in your hand.

Also, the way the game is so simple to play, even a 5 year old can enjoy it (to some degree). But I liken this game to Go/Paduk, it's very simple mechanically but can be very deep and even difficult to master the subtleties of the game.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To me, this gets as close as possible to playing with Star Wars toys as a kid -- except they're more than just toys. The game is totally simple, and yet there's so much fun and excitement to be found in there that you want to play it over and over again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric T
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fuzzydice82 wrote:

Sure, these X-Wing Miniatures ships look incredible (I cannot stress this enough), but is the game good? Is it worth the investment? Or am I going to have a set of "shelf-display" Star Wars ships sitting in a box in my closet 5 years from now?

I guess after writing all that, basically I'm asking if I should sell off my Star Wars Miniatures collection and pick up Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures, or shift my focus to filling out my Memoir '44 or Arkham Horror collection, or start a Talisman (Revised 4th Edition), Commands & Colors: Ancients, Commands & Colors: Napoleonics, PitchCar, or GIPF Project collection. (As you can see, I'm on the cusp of quite a few different things.)

Don't buy it...stay away!!.."This is not the Star Wars game you are looking for...*move along...move along*

It is like smoking and golf. Once you start you can't stop!

*somebody please help me...I have two core sets and one of each expansion and feel the need/urge to buy one more y-wing, one more tie advanced, and one more tie. Not to mention wave two ships*shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Very dangerous this game is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
I have Star Wars Miniatures too, and it's never seen the table,-shnar

Seriously guys!?! Bust out a map, build some squads and play it. It's an awesome mini/skirmish system. My favorite or close to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fuzzydice82 wrote:
To the OP and others, just out of curiosity, what makes this game so good? And so good that you don't see yourself needing to buy any other games for years?

I, like many who post to BGG, have a natural pre-disposition to want to collect things, including games with many expansions like this one, but I've yet to find one that I want to go "all in" on.

I am also an avid Star Wars fan who has loved and loathed various Star Wars cash grabs over the years.

Currently, I have a pretty extensive Star Wars Miniatures collection that hasn't been played. I always had a dream to set up a sweet diorama on the shelf, but never did. I also had a dream to play a bunch, but don't really have regular opponents. Heck, I've even been collecting the Star Wars (Saga) RPG books in hopes that I might use the miniatures for that, but I've yet to play.

P.S. You made me put 1812 back on the want list.

Brian, it's amazing because the rules are dead simple, the miniatures look fantastic, and, at least for now, seems like it could have endless replay value. I've spent more than I wanted to on it already, but it's still only about $125 and I have enough ships to play it dozens of times and not get bored. Sure, I've only had two games so far, but it's so rare for me to get this excited about a game. It's true - I do love Star Wars a lot and grew up watching the trilogy over and over, but I would hate it if it wasn't a good game. This is more than a cash grab - this is cash grab with a great game attached.

As for 1812, get it as soon as you can. I think a reprint is coming, but I don't think this is a game that will get reprinted over and over and over. It's the only game I have that I would put above X-Wing; actually, though both are a 10/10 in my books, if X-Wing is a 10, I would want to give 1812 a 12 out of 10!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Jakster wrote:
futhee wrote:

"Ah, the Millenium Falcon...you want this...don´t you?" devil

Yes, yes, I sort of want it, but scale wise, do I want a large ship on the table? I almost want the purity of a lot of small ships.

OK FINE I WILL BUY IT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cracky wrote:
shnar wrote:

Seriously guys!?! Bust out a map, build some squads and play it. It's an awesome mini/skirmish system. My favorite or close to it.

I think it's the complexity of the game that just made us go... meh, let's not play.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cox
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is the gentleman with the BroStache invited to this party?
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Cracky wrote:
shnar wrote:

I think it's the complexity of the game that just made us go... meh, let's not play.

-shnar

For me, it's a lack of an opponent. My wife will play more games with me than she cares to, but SW Mini's is not it. My best friend will play with me, but he's not as in to Board Games as me, and I will have to read up on all rules and try to build balanced teams to get a good game.

I suppose I've hit on a bigger problem I have than what game to buy

I am seriously considering staring a monthly Game Night at my house and inviting friends and family just to have a regular event to play games. People I know like games, they just aren't on BGG...yet. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fuzzydice82 wrote:
shnar wrote:
Cracky wrote:
shnar wrote:

-shnar

For me, it's a lack of an opponent. My wife will play more games with me than she cares to, but SW Mini's is not it. My best friend will play with me, but he's not as in to Board Games as me, and I will have to read up on all rules and try to build balanced teams to get a good game.

I suppose I've hit on a bigger problem I have than what game to buy

I am seriously considering staring a monthly Game Night at my house and inviting friends and family just to have a regular event to play games. People I know like games, they just aren't on BGG...yet. ninja

Come on up to Toronto! I have a group of friends who want to play more often than I have time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Hortness
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just need to buy some more X-Wing miniatures & 2nd wave, any Netrunner expansions, Arkham Horror & the Dunwich Horror expansion, Merchant of Venus, Battles of Westeros: Lords of the River & Tribes of the Vale, Eclipse & its expansion and then I am DONE! NO MORE!!

(I reserve the right to buy more if a new version of Magic Realm is released or if I see something shiny).

All of the above assumes that my wife doesn't catch me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
frogimus wrote:
Is this a game that you can setup on a table at the LGS and random strangers get all zombie-eyed and absolutely MUST sit down and play a game?

Yes.

And the mechanics are very sound, easy to explain and play. However, since this is a part bluffing game (trying to predict which maneuvers your opponent is going to play) makes for very high replayability. Also, just building a good squad is fun, more to the replayability. I see this game as easy to learn, difficult to master, which adds more to the replayability.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Robinson
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Wars Miniature game is super fun and really isn't that complicated. Sure each figure has some unique traits but these are easily learned or referenced. You don't need to play with a large squad at first. I would just try a 50 point squad with basic figures to really learn the game. It basically is move and attack.

I also own the X-Wing game and it is really enjoyable but doesn't have the same feel as the miniature game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Rooks
Japan
Kobe
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's interesting to see 1812 come up from so many different people in this thread; I couldn't agree more. It's a true diamond in the rough, and one that has become a huge hit with my gaming group.

I too am trying to slow down on game purchases, but I know I will be getting plenty of expansions for X-Wing. I can't wait to see what Wave 3 will bring!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.