Subject: Storm the Castle! Just Released on KickStarter - rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
I've got to be honest, having the $100 level as the lowest to receive stretch goals priced this right out of the water for me. I'll pay retail in a KS to a small publisher to help them out if I like the game, but that retail better get me the stretch goals. Here, you're asking for 166% of retail to get stretch goals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MattShinners wrote:
I've got to be honest, having the $100 level as the lowest to receive stretch goals priced this right out of the water for me. I'll pay retail in a KS to a small publisher to help them out if I like the game, but that retail better get me the stretch goals. Here, you're asking for 166% of retail to get stretch goals.

+1.

Jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Mueller
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MattShinners wrote:

Did you remember the $5 for shipping? I understand that shipping costs money. Please include it in your pledge levels. I don't back games with additional shipping costs outside of the pledge level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Alessi
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
The kickstarter runs until Nov 4. How on earth are you going to go from a potential successful funding in early November to delivering in Dec 2012? That seems incredibly, incredibly optimistic to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Manteca
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like this game, but I am in the same boat and agree with everyone above. I feel nickle and dimed. Even with the extra shipping I would have kick started, but the stretch reward tiers made me decide not to. Keep in mind this is coming from a person who has kick started 12 games in the two month. I love board games and buy them like my friends buy computer games.

If I understand the kickstarter correctly, there are many other already released games that my money would be better spent towards. I also worry about the estimated delivery. Maybe its possible, but I just do not see it. At this point I will hope that their is a retail release in the future and then decide how I feel at that point. With that said great game, I wanted to pair it with castle panic for a fun night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rich n
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all -

Thank you for your feedback - shipping is a weird thing and KS doesn't give many options to easily add that as a variable - shipping internationally is very expensive for a box of this size hence us not adding that in to the amounts due to both US and international buyers. I wish it were cheaper for international but shipping $5 for US is very reasonable and appropriate.

We're offering the game $10 less than retail plus able to get it first along w/ other KS exclusives. Totally understand some may want all the perks, which can be added ad hoc.

The stretch rewards are staggered at 5k each meaning we can give ALOT away for those who qualify. Many KS projects offer a little here and there for every 10-20k spread - take a look at our rewards and you'll see we're giving away quite a bit (14+ rewards and more if we exceed what we have listed).

We're looking into adding some additional goodies into our Elite tier that are already there.

Thanks again and we'll see what we can do. And would love any suggestions.

PS thanks for the kind words about the game design/etc - it is a fun game
Best,

Rich

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
ragesteel wrote:
The stretch rewards are staggered at 5k each meaning we can give ALOT away for those who qualify.

And that's why I'm out on this KS.

Edit: Just to be clear, I mean that I'm out because backers need to 'qualify' to be entitled to stretch rewards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
ragesteel wrote:
I wish it were cheaper for international but shipping $5 for US is very reasonable and appropriate.

I don't disagree, but then just up each pledge level by $5. As it is, your game is coming in on the expensive side, so I already have sticker-shock. Then, when I read that I'll have to pay even more for shipping, it takes me aback again. If, instead, I just had a pledge level at the current rate +$5, all of that feeling would be used up in the initial sticker shock.

Quote:

We're offering the game $10 less than retail plus able to get it first along w/ other KS exclusives. Totally understand some may want all the perks, which can be added ad hoc.

Offering the game at $10 less than retail isn't that big of an incentive - first off, online sites discount it deeper than that. So the people looking for a deal will wait for that (especially since they don't get the stretch rewards at that price - more later). And for those who will purchase a game straight from a publisher at retail price - the $10 isn't that much of a deal (shopping on principle tends to be a privilege of those with disposable income).

Also, getting the game first has fallen through so many times on KS now that even if you're 100% sure you can deliver, most people won't believe it anyway, as it can change at the drop of a monsoon.

Finally, getting the 'perks' ad hoc means that they're not 'perks' - they're additional products that I'm paying for. 'Perks' should be stuff I get for free for backing the product, enticing me to pledge in the first place. This is why Bones and CMON KS have been so successful - they offer a great price to begin with, and then keep making it better, while intermittently adding stuff for a cost so I can up my pledge and get EVEN MORE free stuff.

Quote:

The stretch rewards are staggered at 5k each meaning we can give ALOT away for those who qualify. Many KS projects offer a little here and there for every 10-20k spread - take a look at our rewards and you'll see we're giving away quite a bit (14+ rewards and more if we exceed what we have listed).

But those same KS campaigns offer those rewards at the basic plege. In short, I don't want to pay extra for KS/stretch rewards - I should get them for fronting you the money (that you'd otherwise have to take a loan out to get, which would require interest) and taking the risk on an unproven product.

And just to put this out there - I wouldn't be writing all this if I didn't think you had a game that piqued my interest. However, for the reasons above, I won't be Kickstarting this game. And, honestly, if I miss out on exclusives through KS, I very rarely end up buying the game at retail as I have plenty of others on my 'Want' list that don't have promos I'll never get a hold of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe F.
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What Matt said above!cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Manteca
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow Matt, I couldn't have said it better myself. I also need to agree exclusives tend to make me shy away from a game at retail. IMHO nothing should be exclusive. All game altering add-ons should be able to be released at some point (for a price) or what is the point of me purchasing in my view, an incomplete retail product. I also feel like stretch rewards need to be just that, rewards. I should feel like by taking the risk of backing your game (at a level that receives a copy) and helping it be produced; that the over funds are being used to enrich my experience.

Instead this game has set up its rewards as a per-purchase add-on shop and not as rewards at all. There have been some games that I have pledged to that have tiers, but all of those games included the game altering stuff to backers who had backed enough for a physical game copy. I love your game concept, but I think sometimes its forgotten that we take all the risks in this process. $10 off is not enough incentive for me to back an already expensive game (+ pay shipping). In the end if its good enough to make it to retail and it is not missing a lot of "exclusive" game altering content, I may pick the game up then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Drickman
United States
Ukiah
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well said by Matt. I saw Tom's preview of the game, went to check it out and then immediately crossed it off my list due to the way the pledge levels, shipping and ks rewards was set up. In all honestly, I think this is a very good example of how NOT to run a kickstarter campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rich n
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all - thanks for the feedback and we made some major changes - Check out our new reward structure on KS - we're giving many stretch rewards to backers now + including shipping - sorry original post deleted while editing - will repost the original launch announcement w/ some extras.

New Page with Information:
[url]http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/10244536#10244536
[/url]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.