United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I've been following this "development" since before the actual development of FTP technology. In other words, I've been reading SF since before Al Gore created the internet, which allowed file sharing. I think the people I link to here are on the cutting edge and most of you have probably read about them.

Well, in a not-so-serious turn of events, the printer they leased to make a printed, functioning .22 hand gun was taken back by the manufacturer. Heh. Like a $10,000 printer lease is going to stop this from happening. Trust me, they'll get another printer.

What interests me most about this concept is, of course, the intent. Taking the means of producing and distributing goods away from the system that has been built over the span of thousands of years and just flat making it possible for people to honestly make a substantial portion of the goods they would otherwise be reliant on "The Man" to access. It's totally harmonious and in sync with my view that the first usable files ought to be weapons. Why, you might naively ask? Well, I sagely answer, what is the one thing that keeps entire populations of people subservient to other, smaller, populations of authority?

Weapons, silly.

The Jinni is out of the bottle people. There is no putting him back. Soon, all you smug Brits who turn your noses up at us Americans and our guns are gonna be doing one of two things - either cowering in your basement trying to not get shot in the face, or printing your own sidearms, strapping them on and going out to the movies and dinner like a real man, with your lady on at your side and her and the kids all equally packed, strapped and deadly.

The project - click here

What life might be like for you and yours in the future, listen here:

So. Whaddya think? Will the Illuminati and it's minions have to now restrict access to plastic in order to keep us from arming ourselves?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Michealson
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Couldn't the Illuminati and its minions restrict real bullet access? Sure, you could still print your own to go along with your printed gun. I have no problem with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
mrspank wrote:
Couldn't the Illuminati and its minions restrict real bullet access? Sure, you could still print your own to go along with your printed gun. I have no problem with that.

Ammo supply is cake. Easy to make. Especially given that these specific people intend to create files for .22 cal and Ar-15, a 5.56mm round. Both rounds are, to use a word I think ought to be banned in RSP -ubiquitous.

I'm certain that right now, even as we speak, someone(s) is developing home kits for ammo that doesn't require brass or traditional, traceable materials.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep it will be so much better when we live in fear of being shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
mrspank wrote:

Ammo supply is cake. Easy to make. Especially given that these specific people intend to create files for .22 cal and Ar-15, a 5.56mm round. Both rounds are, to use a word I think ought to be banned in RSP -ubiquitous.

I'm certain that right now, even as we speak, someone(s) is developing home kits for ammo that doesn't require brass or traditional, traceable materials.

What about propelant, can you print that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:

Your feelings about this are unimportant Slater. This is going to happen. Period. Anyone who believes it won't is whistling in the dark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1.) I think "3D printing will make all men equal" triumphalism is still a very long ways away - it's going to be at least a decade or two before the technology alone is cheap enough to be a trivial expense.

2.) That having been said, I can think of many, many things I would like to do before I fire a gun that had been 3D printed - or at least fire a gun whose barrel had been 3D printed. All of the tests I've seen so far have been of guns where the lower half of the gun had been printed, but the dangerous bit of firing the gun is the bit where the barrel does not explode in your face. 3D printing plastic isn't exactly the stuff that goes into a Glock polymer handgun, after all.

3.) As an aside: it's easier to get a gun license in Canada than it is to get a driver's license. There isn't anything stopping me from going out and getting a rifle other than the fact that I don't care to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
Chigwell, Essex, London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think this is a really interesting topic.

My general position is that a society (well a stable, first world democracy) is better off where access to guns is limited. I'm prepared to forgo my "right" to a firearm in exchange for pretty much everyone else doing the same.

If technology advances to the point that a sizeable segment of the population can and does make their own guns and the government has no way to stem that flow then that calculation changes. I'm more inclined to want one as well to protect my family.

Which is a fairly depressing thought. Although I then think that if people could make guns that easily then they could probably start making a whole lot worse. Ah thats not helping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Michealson
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Your feelings about this are unimportant Slater. This is going to happen. Period. Anyone who believes it won't is whistling in the dark.

/me closes his eyes and starts whistling...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
Didn't we talk about this a couple months ago?

As we speak armed gangs are not roaming the street and shooting people with guns they don’t have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

No it's not, OK it's just possible that some people who can afford these printers (and the materials) may try and make guns. It’s more likely that without the fanatical fetishism of guns that Americans suffer from no one will bother except a few crazes who will soon be killed by the police. The government will just ban (with out a proper licence) owning the materials to make propellant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mightygodking wrote:
1.) I think "3D printing will make all men equal" triumphalism is still a very long ways away - it's going to be at least a decade or two before the technology alone is cheap enough to be a trivial expense.

2.) That having been said, I can think of many, many things I would like to do before I fire a gun that had been 3D printed - or at least fire a gun whose barrel had been 3D printed. All of the tests I've seen so far have been of guns where the lower half of the gun had been printed, but the dangerous bit of firing the gun is the bit where the barrel does not explode in your face. 3D printing plastic isn't exactly the stuff that goes into a Glock polymer handgun, after all.

3.) As an aside: it's easier to get a gun license in Canada than it is to get a driver's license. There isn't anything stopping me from going out and getting a rifle other than the fact that I don't care to do so.

Exactly, it's not availability, its attitude. most people in the UK do not want to own a gun, they don’t consider it an issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Michealson
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mightygodking wrote:

Apparently you're ignoring the "you too Canada" part of the subject line. Stop it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
Ammo supply is cake. Easy to make.

It's actually not. Well, most of it is but primers are basically impossible to make at home, as is reloading rimfire. The project FAQ itself acknowledges this and expects designs to revert to older technologies eventually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
damiangerous wrote:
DWTripp wrote:

It's actually not. Well, most of it is but primers are basically impossible to make at home, as is reloading rimfire. The project FAQ itself acknowledges this and expects designs to revert to older technologies eventually.

I also believe that other components of the gun (such as the reciver) cannot be printed either, thus it's still possible to control this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
damiangerous wrote:
DWTripp wrote:

CAP-AND-BALL 4 LYFE MUDDAFUGGAS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
I also believe that other components of the gun (such as the reciver) cannot be printed either, thus it's still possible to control this.

There is a clear path to that happening though, as the availability of printable materials expands beyond resins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Yep. Been discussed. But the thing that caught my eye was the printer company repossessing the printer - as if that will stop this from happening.

This will happen. While it's true you can't reload a rimfire cartridge where I grew up that was always considered an advantage - why bother buying pricier ammo and the reloading it to save money when .22 ammo is cheaper than Taco Bell. Believe me, a couple of hours spent on the internet instead of playing games will net you a surprising basket of knowledge about what can be done in the world of ammunition. It's a hurdle, not a show-stopper.

The thinking of the guy in the video is what parallels mine. A gun is just a thing. Albeit, a thing that has more power than a lot of other things, but a mere thing nonetheless. I can't think of a better place to start if you really want to transform the entire planet under the aegis of "information wants to be free".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
Yep. Been discussed. But the thing that caught my eye was the printer company repossessing the printer - as if that will stop this from happening.

This will happen. While it's true you can't reload a rimfire cartridge where I grew up that was always considered an advantage - why bother buying pricier ammo and the reloading it to save money when .22 ammo is cheaper than Taco Bell. Believe me, a couple of hours spent on the internet instead of playing games will net you a surprising basket of knowledge about what can be done in the world of ammunition. It's a hurdle, not a show-stopper.

The thinking of the guy in the video is what parallels mine. A gun is just a thing. Albeit, a thing that has more power than a lot of other things, but a mere thing nonetheless. I can't think of a better place to start if you really want to transform the entire planet under the aegis of "information wants to be free".

You can't really import .22 ammo into the UK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
damiangerous wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

There is a clear path to that happening though, as the availability of printable materials expands beyond resins.

Which is the point at which controls can be brought in. The whole point is that not only is the genii not out of the bag, but he may not have even thought about leaving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
Are the materials that these printers are using even capable of handling ballistics above a .22? Do they even deal with materials like steel and hardening that is required?

Making a fancy .22 capable toy is one thing. I can do that with a bic and a gum wrapper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:

Yep. And it's illegal there to import street drugs, traffic in child prostitutes and plot terrorist acts. Your point is?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Yep. And it's illegal there to import street drugs, traffic in child prostitutes and plot terrorist acts. Your point is?

That in fact we are not over run with these things. In fact the fear of most of these crimes is actualy greater then the threat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Are the materials that these printers are using even capable of handling ballistics above a .22? Do they even deal with materials like steel and hardening that is required?

Making a fancy .22 capable toy is one thing. I can do that with a bic and a gum wrapper.

And we have been able to make Zip guns for decades, guess what the streets of Britain are not overrun with zip guns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:

That in fact we are not over run with these things. In fact the fear of most of these crimes is actualy greater then the threat.

Like voter fraud....I'm sensing a pattern.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.