- I did not write this review. I simply 'translated' it by throwing it through a translator and sorting out a ton of irrelevant bits about the books, PC game and where he bought the game, nothing more.
- The review is of the second Russian edition.
- Original: http://nastolnost.daniilmarkov.ru/2012/03/21/obzor-nastol-no...
- I reccommend reading the Rule Book for an overview of the game, I won't post the reviewer's summary.
Second edition. The first version of the board game Russian professional gamers met cool. "
Colonialists Catan" they said. And the reason - the station brought resources as a result die roll. The authors were listed Maxim Istomin, Vladimir Sergeev and Ivan Popov. Time has passed. Someone "above" has apparently decided that "there is shot in the locker" - gave the game to refine Golubkin Sergei and Pavel Ovchinnikov. Those removed cube remade combat system have a hard phase mode, and get a more "intelligent", but "dry" gameplay. In general, many of the differences can not say, because the first version was not playing, unfortunately.
Game together takes about 2 hours. The optimal number of players, in my opinion, should be 3-4. The two of you can play, but then all too predictable and hard (it all depends on the right decisions as ever), not to the same "push elbows", select opponents, communication and fun.
Here I want to talk about some of the absurdities. Registration Card threats sins illogic - strong monsters colorfully decorated, full-color and drawn, while some cards weak monsters drawn deliberately sketchy. Would have done so uniformly - the weak would be monochrome "sketches", and strong - multicolor "fantasy graphics."
All threats of the first stage:
(3-4), the contaminated water
(3-4) radioactive waste
(4) a bandit gang [x2]
(4) live web [x2]
(4-5) mutation mushrooms
(4-5) mutation pigs
(5) rats [x2]
(5) satanist [x2]
(5-6) a winged creature
(6), the epidemic
All threats of the second stage:
(5) Flesheater [x2]
(5) Ghoul [x2]
(5-6) headless mutant
(6) Librarian [x2]
(6) the unseen horror [x2]
(7) ghostly giant [x2]
(7) tunnel worm [x2]
Combat. It occurs in a primitive way, that in no way prevents it elegance. Say "attack", and then compare power of who attacked and strength of the one attacked. Who it is, is the winner. Of course, it would be more in-depth match (for example, as in the "Paragraph"), but then the game would drag on for days. But I have described only fight players with the game (Tunnel monsters), and the fight between the armies and heroes live opponents is slightly more complicated. Duelists dealt three combat card, they choose through logical thinking and reveal themselves one at a time. The map shows the different preferences and modifiers. They and increase the strength of what you fight. There can be cunning and calculating prevail over a little more than a strong contender. But if the forces are too unequal, wins battle maps will not do.
[25/03/2012] * It is understood that the decision to use these cards in the game quite ingenious. This is not a mindless dice - there is a significant and meaningful calculation. Happy. Just do not rush to relax in the battle of the strategic component of the playing field - and then have to think about!
Appearance and quality: Everything is made with love. Beautiful, high quality, stylized. Printing cards at height, put paint everywhere evenly, nothing stands out and does not irritate the difference in the shades, especially shirts *. Only the cards could be done thicker. A level playing field in the same place I smeared dried clear liquid (so they sent me out of the store, though, and was sealed). The schedule for the fields at the bottom slightly fuzzy (district placement of equipment and cards market Hansa). For all this, I give it 3 and not 4. And could make additional packets to different tokens.
Tactics: In the game you have at least 3 stations (if you selected and it is possible to take "free" no-man's land). The problem is set to expand its influence and "dial gold" (well, replenishing resources to move to the cherished goals.) To do this, you have two mechanisms - the hero and the army. These are two of your muscles, which act in a similar way, but they have different qualities.
The best tactic - to pump either a hero, or the army, that it is in any case won and tunnel threat and Army / heroes rivals. With this powerful machine to win can be planned to conquer the underworld.
Strategy: For the implementation of "pumping" power base you need to choose the appropriate faction and hero. At first, it is desirable to get some cards with jobs (some of them will help to increase the strength of your army-heroes). It is also necessary to improve the combat capability of militarized units to withstand the first threat and even beat them, because for that you get the resources and "burn" the resources of the enemy. Try to avoid the no-man's failures and battles, they are not pushing you forward.
• «Confederation in 1905," though, and has some influence on the choice rules of the game and turn them back on track, you still can not do anything against a stronger opponent. Starting bonus can say nothing. Faction rather useless.
• «red line" has a close finish (they must dial 9 OP instead of 10), but in the game, if you do not play in the style of a successful breakthrough, this quality will help you. You just do not give off enough. Starting bonus uninteresting. Faction rather useless.
• «Arbat Confederation." Is interesting. Too close finish, but in another way - it is easier to capture the station Polis. Starting bonus good - job card. This is a small reserve, though small, but handicap. Fraction is normal, if you play at the target capture Policy.
• «Bandits" well can be protected - their army wins in a draw in the defense. Here it is desirable to systematically crush his opponents sprawling carcass of your empire, provoking them to attack, in response to which the "Bandits" is a slight advantage. Starting bonus so-so - 2 rounds.
The best choice
• «Bauman Alliance." Starting bonus: Equipment card (good). Permanent feature: your hero wins the battle, if the forces are equal. One of the most interesting factions! Strategy: Suck the hero, he will strike force. Suitable heroes Khan (hang on a periodic PKK + grenades), Hunter (injury is gone), Miller (this can sometimes carry explosives).
• «The Fourth Reich." Starting Bonus: start the game with the army force 3 (instead of 2) - a kind of fast start. Permanent feature: when you attack an army wins the battle, if the forces are equal (this gives you a significant advantage can only be active). Strategy: Suck the army, it will strike force. The most interesting group. Suitable heroes Khan (convenient to buy flags and set in their stations without spending moves - very important!), Sasha (even producing resources, buying flags and / or rail car), Miller (ideally, he rides a rail car with 2 flags).
Indestructibility. It is good that a weak player can simply push the board. As I said, it will be in any case three stations. If you lose the battle army's strength is reduced by 1 (tolerable, but not fatal), at a loss of a hero, you need to skip to the next phase of action hero (+ he loses a "rags"), but this is normal. Although defeat you in the unfortunate situation will not be possible, it is acceptable to keep afloat is still possible.
Impressions: On my face good combination evrogeyma and US-drama. Evrogeym expressed in prudent planning competent policy offensive, winning AP and the application of laws (though they are not as strongly influenced by our party). Ameritresh seen in the combat system, RPG-action, random maps and monsters in the spirit of the game. Beautiful design conveys the content and message. There are a range of actions and strategies to achieve victory. It is necessary to calculate the moves and probability factors.
Summary: I like it. While most stylish my purchase. It's great that a lot of it was the Russian realities - SVD, RPK, AKM, "Red Line", "Artem", "miller". Soviet such "trending."
3/4 - Development
4/4 - Randomness
3/4 - Quality components
4/4 - the desire to play again
3/4 - Christian component
4/4 - Atmosphere (pogruzhenie!)
4/4 - Advanced
3,6 / 4
He gave the game a 7/10 on BGG
- Last edited Mon Oct 8, 2012 6:47 pm (Total Number of Edits: 4)
- Posted Tue Oct 2, 2012 7:57 pm
And the author has given the game a 7 on BGG scale.
So, the review might be a bit biased towards praising the game.
Colonialists = Catan
Colonialists = Catan
I'll throw that in there for clarity's sake, thanks!
New Dia die Los Muertos. Lighter, sillier, and Stickers.
I'll second that it is a pretty terrible 2 player game. ( I played the Essen 2011 promo copy that was in the BGGCon library last year). Several of the mechanics of the game rely on voting and multiplayer dynamics. I suspect it wants 4-5, unlike the reviewer's estimate of 2-3.
It is a particularly interesting mix of game styles. You have the basic Talisman-like move around the map, kill things and buy things. Some of this. You kind of leave behind generic army force tokens, and there is an army strength indicator which can go up by spending resources. And they collect resources for you based on an event cycle turn track on top of the board.
That turn track also includes occasional laws which come up for vote by the players.
Which all sounds like a giant, sprawling behemoth of a game instead of the 60-90 minute Euro time length the game is likely to take. It quickly became one of my most-wanted games.
So , is this game worth the money and is it good with 4 + people ?
I couldn't help but read this with a Russian accent