Popular Tags: [View All]
Emil Juul Jacobsen
Denmark
København S
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys

I recently finished an android app i made for myself, but i figured others might be able to use it aswell so i put it up on Google Play.

The application is called "What Board Game" and is meant to make it easier for you to figure out what game to play at a given moment. Using your BGG username it looks up your Collection and makes it easy for you to see what games to play with a given number of players and/or within a limited timespan.

From the eligible games you can either make the app pick one at random or get the "best match" based on the games' BGG rank and how well suited it has been voted for the given number of players.

The app is absolutely free and you can find it here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=dk.nezbo.whatb...

If you have any questions or feedback feel free to post here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks good and the price is right. Thanks for putting your app out there for the rest of us to use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great app.
What would be useful is if you could look at all the games that met the criteria, or at least the best match 20 or something. Then you can choose between a group of games.
For example a number of my games are ones I don't know how to play yet, so I wouldn't want one of those to be the only choice that is returned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Juul Jacobsen
Denmark
København S
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the positive feedback It might not be too obvious but the feature you (Tony) are talking about can be found by pressing the menu button on your device. Please tell me if it wasn't what you were looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoic Bird
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool app, thanks!

Minor bug in Max Time: it seems to exclude games that have exactly what you entered. To test, I actually checked the games we played last night (I'd manually looked for 2 player games that were 20 minutes or less), and the one we ended up playing (Hive) didn't show up in the Valid list when I searched with 20 as the max, but did with 21, 30, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Juul Jacobsen
Denmark
København S
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn a logical error ^^ That has now been fixed for the next update, but ill wait with that until there's some actual content change. Its annoying (for the users) to update too often Thanks for reporting it, and its nice to see others can use this app aswell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Juul Jacobsen
Denmark
København S
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope you guys are satisfied with the app so far, I've just pushed another version to the marketplace with a lot of small features. You should be able to update it in a few hours (when processed by Google). If you have any requests or comments, please tell me here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomás F.
France
Maisons-Alfort
Val-de-Marne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea!

I'm goint to test it as soon as posible!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Tube
United Kingdom
Portsmouth
Hampshire
flag msg tools
eye, eye, eye, eye, eye, eye like you very much
badge
eye, caramba!
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the idea, but I'm having trouble getting it to work.
I have downloaded the app and entered my BGG user name, but when I ask it to choose a game the app tries to connect to my profile and either crashes or comes back with a list of no games (I have added games owned within my profile).
Is there something I'm not doing correctly, or is there some setting within my account that needs changing?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wardell
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
May 25
badge
I think you ought to know I'm feeling very depressed.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just downloaded it. Looks nice so far, but I'd really like the ability to search more than one user at a time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the "best match" button weighted towards my ranking for a game or bgg rankings?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Juul Jacobsen
Denmark
København S
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kvenosdel wrote:
Is the "best match" button weighted towards my ranking for a game or bgg rankings?

It looks at how good the game has been voted for the entered number of players (if any) and the games rank. Do you have any thoughts for or against looking at the user's "own" ranking of a game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoic Bird
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EmilJJ wrote:
Do you have any thoughts for or against looking at the user's "own" ranking of a game?

It would be a lot more useful for me personally if my rating was considered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Juul Jacobsen
Denmark
København S
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lee Barl0w wrote:
I have downloaded the app and entered my BGG user name, but when I ask it to choose a game the app tries to connect to my profile and either crashes or comes back with a list of no games (I have added games owned within my profile).
Is there something I'm not doing correctly, or is there some setting within my account that needs changing?

Thanks.

When implementing the possibility of listing multiple users i didn't know that you could have usernames here on BGG with space in, therefore the app will look at your username as two users (since it splits at space, comma and plus). I will fix this issue, but in the meanwhile you can "cheat" the app by writing "%20" instead of space in your username, like "Lee%20Barl0w" and it should work for now Hope you find the app useful, and i'll update it as soon as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Juul Jacobsen
Denmark
København S
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VolcanoLotus wrote:
EmilJJ wrote:
Do you have any thoughts for or against looking at the user's "own" ranking of a game?

It would be a lot more useful for me personally if my rating was considered.

Cool, i'll see if i can find a meaningful way of getting that used in the weighing of the games. Possibly replacing the rank entirely if the user has entered rating for most of the games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wardell
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
May 25
badge
I think you ought to know I'm feeling very depressed.
mbmbmbmbmb
Khedron wrote:
I just downloaded it. Looks nice so far, but I'd really like the ability to search more than one user at a time.

EmilJJ wrote:
Lee Barl0w wrote:

Thanks.

When implementing the possibility of listing multiple users i didn't know that you could have usernames here on BGG with space in, therefore the app will look at your username as two users (since it splits at space, comma and plus). I will fix this issue, but in the meanwhile you can "cheat" the app by writing "%20" instead of space in your username, like "Lee%20Barl0w" and it should work for now Hope you find the app useful, and i'll update it as soon as possible.

Apparently it was already possible. It might be worth documenting somehow that you can search multiple users at a time.
Edit: And possibly being able to save a multi-user search in previous users, or allow selecting multiple previous users.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Juul Jacobsen
Denmark
København S
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Khedron wrote:
Khedron wrote:

EmilJJ wrote:
Lee Barl0w wrote:

Thanks.

Apparently it was already possible. It might be worth documenting somehow that you can search multiple users at a time.
Edit: And possibly being able to save a multi-user search in previous users, or allow selecting multiple previous users.

Yeah, you're right about making the feature more obvious, i'll definately try to make the suggestions you're giving possible. Thanks for the feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Tube
United Kingdom
Portsmouth
Hampshire
flag msg tools
eye, eye, eye, eye, eye, eye like you very much
badge
eye, caramba!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, if I put the %20 in as suggested it works!

If I could make one suggestion; it would be that after a 'Best Match' has been found you could choose 'Next Best' to see the next suggestion and then the 'Next Best' after that etc...

Great app as it is though, thanks for your time and effort.

Edit - Having played with the app a bit more (and reading above) I've realised that you can get a list that meets your criteria and then sort by either Rank or Rating by going to the menu and choosing 'Show Valid Games'.
So in effect what I was asking for is already achievable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lee Barl0w wrote:
Thank you, if I put the %20 in as suggested it works!

If I could make one suggestion; it would be that after a 'Best Match' has been found you could choose 'Next Best' to see the next suggestion and then the 'Next Best' after that etc...

Great app as it is though, thanks for your time and effort.

Edit - Having played with the app a bit more (and reading above) I've realised that you can get a list that meets your criteria and then sort by either Rank or Rating by going to the menu and choosing 'Show Valid Games'.
So in effect what I was asking for is already achievable.

Even though its achievable it should be more obvious. The ability to swipe through entries would be really nice.

I am for using my personal rankings as more important than BGG rankings. Many times BGG will say something is best for me when I already know I dislike that game.

EDIT: It would also be nice to be able to exclude expansions. I realize some allow for play with more people but when I look for a game for 4 and Dominion takes up a ton of entries, or a game for 2 with an LCG expansion list, it makes the app less usable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mm C
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
Give me a man ripe for a breakdown, and I'll end the world for you.
badge
Our roads may be golden or broken or lost, but we'll walk on them willingly knowing the cost: we won't take our place on the shelves; it's better to fly and it's better to die, say the wicked girls saving ourselves.
mbmbmbmbmb
For supposedly "optional" fields, the thing seems awfully easily upset if I leave them out. It sits on "Loading user 0% 0/1 game" forever...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Juul Jacobsen
Denmark
København S
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have now listed up all your suggestion and issues and will see if i can get it all implemented in a clever way

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Juul Jacobsen
Denmark
København S
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, I have good news and an annoyance. First of all I've implemented all the requests you have stated above, and the features are awesome, thanks a lot

There were one problem however, I had lost the publishfile for Google Play when formatting my harddrive, so the new version had to be published as a new app. It is called the same (What Board Game) and can be found using the link above (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=dk.nezbo.whatb...). I hope you enjoy the changes nonetheless and you can, as usual, give any feedback right here

If you're in the giving christmas mood you can rate the app on Google Play aswell Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.