Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the basic game, with the normal layout (not atol), how do you lay out your tiles? Where do you try to fit your 3 length verticals and horizontals? Do you try to get a four length? Where do you put singletons? What spaces/configurations do you leave till last?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No plan. It plays differently every game so it is very unpredictable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark M
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely try to get a horizontal on the bottom line using the extra slot to the right. Therefore will usually do a vertical on the far left side and then work to fill in the rest however it works out. Could do a vertical on far right as well under same concept, but I just tend for the left to keep things cleaner. I do pretty well on Yucata with it, but sure there are better ideas out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:

Of course, but surely you have a standard position if you get a horizontal middle segment with a hut and three trees for your first piece. Or do you just randomly choose a spot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:

Of course, but surely you have a standard position if you get a horizontal middle segment with a hut and three trees for your first piece. Or do you just randomly choose a spot.

OK - I would likely put that in the first, second or third row from top, one (or possibly 2) spaces on from left.

My answer just may be too vague to help, but it's all I got...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Do you try to get a four length?

14 middle pieces in a population of 97; that's less than 15 %. Also, not all pieces will come out - especially with fewer players. Plus I know I'll have to share some middles with those other players.

Although it has indeed happened, most of the time my personality is far too conservative to put much hope into a 4-piece campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:
14 middle pieces in a population of 97; that's less than 15 %. Also, not all pieces will come out - especially with fewer players. Plus I know I'll have to share some middles with those other players.

Although it has indeed happened, most of the time my personality is far too conservative to put much hope into a 4-piece campaign.

Good point.

On a related question, do you ever build both ends of an island leaving a spot for a middle tile? Or is that just pure foolishness? Does the presence of one, or more, middle tiles on the board make it more likely?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I like to start with a middle piece if possible. If it's vertical, I'll probably put it on the left side; if horizontal, along the top or bottom. Otherwise, I tend to just let it evolve according to what tiles are available. Too much planning can be fatal in this game; you need to be flexible IMO.

I might go for a 4-piece island if I had an end and a middle on my board, and another middle was available. But I wouldn't try too hard for it -- too much chance of not being able to finish it. But if there were several potential end pieces available, it might well be worth the risk.

I would never place both ends of an island before the middle (unless I had the middle tile in storage) -- I think that's just asking for trouble!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.