United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I was just looking through my newly acquired 1912 expansion and noticed that the "Mega Europe" variant suggests that you mix *all* of the tickets together, the new and the old. This seemed a bit odd to me, in that I would be inclined to play the game with all of the new tickets and not use the old ones. Mixing both in essentially creates duplicate routes for the original 40 routes plus the 19 new ones. I guess this adds the possibility that people might be trying to complete the exact same route.

Does anyone play this way?

I understand that there is incentive to not follow the "give 2 long routes, choose one, THEN give short routes" rule in "Mega Europe". So as it stands, it seems like the "Mega Europe" variant is a pretty big bust.

I guess what I'm getting at, is how do YOU play with 1912? Do you do as I plan, just use all of the new cards and don't use any of the old ones, so you essentially get 19 new short routes and 6 new long routes, or do you mix *everything* together?

Also, does anyone bother with the "Big Cities" variant, and how do you feel about it? My assumption is that it's intended to increase player interaction and tension.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cosined
United States
Walpole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
When using Europa 1912, do not use the tickets that came with TTR: Europe.

What the rules for Europa mean by "old," are the tickets that existed in Europe originally, but were reprinted in Europa 1912. "New" are tickets that exist solely in Europa 1912
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Gumby
Australia
Taree
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi

I just use the new cards and leave the old ones out of it. I assume that was the intent. I tend to only play Mega Europe with at least 4 players. I like the conflict and there is too much room to move with 2 or 3.

And that's why I love Big Cities. It can get very nasty and makes the stations a lot more valuable (I vary rarely use stations in Mega Europe). Given the choice I'll usually go for Big Cities.

Have fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
key:
Dtick = abbr. for destination ticket

Misterboy wrote:
Hi all,

I was just looking through my newly acquired 1912 expansion and noticed that the "Mega Europe" variant suggests that you mix *all* of the tickets together, the new and the old. This seemed a bit odd to me, in that I would be inclined to play the game with all of the new tickets and not use the old ones. Mixing both in essentially creates duplicate routes for the original 40 routes plus the 19 new ones. I guess this adds the possibility that people might be trying to complete the exact same route.

Does anyone play this way?
No. I just use the 1912 deck, and leave the Dticks from TtR E out of it.

From what I understand, when they say "old and new", old does refer to the Dticks available in TtR E. However, for your conveninence, they've already been duplicated in the 1912 deck. This way, all of the Dticks have the same backs (well, except for the 1912 long ones, but that's intentional), and if you ever wanna do just TtR Europe, you won't need to fish out the new ones from the old ones... you have 2 separate decks to quickly switch between.

Misterboy wrote:
I understand that there is incentive to not follow the "give 2 long routes, choose one, THEN give short routes" rule in "Mega Europe". So as it stands, it seems like the "Mega Europe" variant is a pretty big bust.
There was some disdain for this tweak in the rules. Others are saying it's a necessary evil, as it can become very OP-ed to allow players who have a long Dtick to plan out and overlap with short ones at the start of the game.

Misterboy wrote:
I guess what I'm getting at, is how do YOU play with 1912? Do you do as I plan, just use all of the new cards and don't use any of the old ones, so you essentially get 19 new short routes and 6 new long routes, or do you mix *everything* together?
see my response above

Misterboy wrote:
Also, does anyone bother with the "Big Cities" variant, and how do you feel about it? My assumption is that it's intended to increase player interaction and tension.

Thanks!
Dunno about this. We tend to stick with Mega Game simply b/c setup's easier (ie, you don't need to fish out the non-Big Cities Dticks). For that reason, haven't done Big Cities with 1910 either.

On a similar note, I have 1910 for iOS, so I really oughtta give that a whirl just to see what it's like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This rule is worded very strangely:

Quote:
Shuffle all the other Tickets (both regular and big city, new and original) from this expansion together and deal 5 to each player.

It's the part in the parentheses that is odd. If you leave it out, then it would clearly indicate to just use the cards from the expansion, which is what you are suggesting. With the words in the parentheses, it is redundant YET specifically uses the word "original" which lead me to assume it wasn't actually redundant.

I'll assume your interpretation is correct, which is what felt right anyway. Thanks for your input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor-Smith
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Notice that all the cards in the Ticket to Ride: Europa 1912 set have a 1912 logo in the upper right on the backside of the card. Thus to avoid marked card abuse the expansion contains a (extra, additional) set of the original ticket cards that came with Ticket to Ride Europe.

So to play Mega Europe you use all the tickets in the expansion but not the tickets that came with the actual Ticket to Ride Europe. If you did then of course you would have duplicates of the original tickets. Plus if both sets of the original routes were mixed together one could spot the TTR:Europe set through the lack of the 1912 logo on the card back. There are no duplicate routes in the total card set(s) that are included in the expansion.

So yes I play Mega Europe the way it is described in the rulebook. Following the instructions means there are no possible duplicate routes.
If you read the rulebook about Mega Europe carefully it does say 'Shuffle all the other Tickets (...) from this expansion' . None of the expansion variants outlined in the rules use the ticket cards from the actual Ticket to Ride:Europe box.

The Big Cities variant is best used by players who like route competition or blocking since it's easier to guess the routes ends. Basically like the Ticket to Ride: USA 1910 Big City variant worked.

I like to play with Mega Europe as it is less likely to get really hurt by a initial bad ticket draw. Something that is far more likely in Europe Expanded or Big Cities. The Warehouses really speed up the game and is the main draw of the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
flapjackmachine wrote:
I like to play with Mega Europe as it is less likely to get really hurt by a initial bad ticket draw. Something that is far more likely in Europe Expanded or Big Cities. The Warehouses really speed up the game and is the main draw of the expansion.

When you play Mega Europe, do you stick with the stock rule of dealing out 2 Long Route cards, have everyone choose 1 or none, and *then* deal out the regular route cards?

It feels like that would introduce more luck than I'd like. I *think* I would be inclined to deal out the Long routes with the short routes and let players decide what to keep (though only letting them take a max of 1 long route).

I figure I must be missing something, or the designers wouldn't have written that rule as is. Maybe because the new Big City routes can be very long it requires long routes to be chosen blindly, to prevent a lucky draw? I wonder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.