Hide
15 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Investigator combos rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Sternald
msg tools
I just bought Arkham Horror and are about to start my first play, after spending some time reading the rules and study the investigators.
The first couple of times I will probably play solo to get a hang of the rules and the investigators, so it's easier to explain for new players later on...
I think I'll go for "4 investigators game", trying out these investigator combos:

1:
Michael McGlen - The Gangster
Kate Winthrop - The Scientist
Monterey Jack - The Archeologist
Mandy Thompson - The Researcher

2:
Gloria Goldberg - The Author
Joe Diamond - The Private Eye
Bob Jenkins - The Salesman
Darrell Simmons - The Photographer

3:
Carolyn Fern - The Psychologist
Vincent Lee - The Doctor
Harvey Walters - The Professor
Ashcan Pete - The Drifter

What are your opinion in this matter, what do you think of the above?
And what are your favourite investigator combos?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Hickey
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's your first game you might want to restrict it to 2 or 3 investigators just while you get used to the phases etc. Mandy Thompson and Joe Diamond is the best two investigator combo I think, add Bob Jenkins or Ashcan Pete for three.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Grouch
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Might rethink group 3. Both Fern and Lee have really low movement and I think Walters might, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sternald
msg tools
Hmmm, perhaps I'll go for a 3 investigator game the first time then, but I wanted to try out the investigators in a few games.
Group 3 is hard on purpose, I'm aware of the slow movements, but I'm curious how the stamina and sanity regeneration compensates for such things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
foksieloy
Croatia
flag msg tools
You need kulen.
badge
How can you have any pudding?
mbmbmbmbmb
Stamina regeneration is quite weak as an ability, and the doctor has issues with his stats so he ranks on the bottom of the list in the Arkham statistics project.

Sanity regeneration is very powerful, allowing for strong spell casting, and Carolyn has excellent stats, ranking in the top 3 characters in the game.

As a note, Mandy is the strongest character in the game (insanely powerful ability), followed by the violinist (also an insanely powerful ability).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1: Patricia Hathaway
2-4: Doesn't matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Simpson
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:

Thats funny but true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
redeye wrote:
Dam the Man wrote:

Thats funny but true.

And kinda sad too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
redeye wrote:
Dam the Man wrote:

Thats funny but true.

And kinda sad too.

I don't play her capacity to win 5 clue tokens with the ninth doom token. More balanced this way, in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
Dietch wrote:
Dam the Man wrote:
redeye wrote:
Dam the Man wrote:

Thats funny :D but true.

And kinda sad too.

I don't play her capacity to win 5 clue tokens with the ninth doom token. More balanced this way, in my opinion.

I give her three, and three if she passes her personal story. Only allow her to give one clue token to each investigator once per game.

But I play solo and let the winning survivors play until they lose.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dietch wrote:

That's not the biggest issue, rather, allowing all other investigators to use her clues is what breaks Patrice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
foksieloy
Croatia
flag msg tools
You need kulen.
badge
How can you have any pudding?
mbmbmbmbmb
I found that making her ability like Mandy's (once per turn) limits it quite well. She is still strong, but she can't pull the entire team all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sternald
msg tools
Dam the Man wrote:

Hmmm, I don't think I'm ready for Innsmouth Horror quite yet so I have to stick around with Mandy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I banned Patricia from my game.

Used Daisy, Mark and Leo.
Daisy used her starting book to get Arcane Insight and pull Mark through the gates for fast closure, and Leo maked sure Mark wont go insane with his low max sanity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sternald
msg tools
TrueLolzor wrote:
I banned Patricia from my game.

Used Daisy, Mark and Leo.
Daisy used her starting book to get Arcane Insight and pull Mark through the gates for fast closure, and Leo maked sure Mark wont go insane with his low max sanity.

Why did you ban Patricia? Is she too good?
I could use her now I guess...

In a game being played right now Michael McGlen has to prove his toughness as four monsters are located in the same street area...
But it's good, it really gives me the chance to see what the investigators are able to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.