Popular Tags: [View All]
G. Gambill
United States
Shawnee on Delaware
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Crazy Creatures of Dr. Gloom (Doom is apparently translated as Gloom here in the States for reasons unknown to me) is a small card game that I received from Stronghold Games for review purposes. The game is from a designer that I know and like. Games like Zooloretto and Coloretto were family favorites for my kids, but also games the adults liked to play as well. When I heard about Dr. Gloom, I was intrigued because of the short play time and theme. After receiving the game and playing it several times, I have formed some impressions that I thought I could share.

First, the game is fast. Very fast. It is a perfect filler game for those nights when I want to play something with the kids, but don't have as much time as I would like. It fills this niche nicely, and also fits in well while waiting to begin another game, or when waiting for people to arrive for game night. I believe this is the definition of filler. So much so that I believe that if you look up the term in the dictionary, the good Doctor will be glowering at you from the pages of your Webster's.

The game art is wonderful! For what is, essentially, a suit game, the art is fantastic. The creatures depicted in each colored "tank" get larger or smaller depending on the value of the card. A 1 shows a tiny cute little critter, while a 6 shows it in full grown, ferocious form. The art is quite fun, and the kids enjoy it very much.

The game is very simple to teach and learn. Like many Schacht games, the rules are quite straightforward and simple. You are dealt a hand of cards from value 1 to 6 that you must shed in order to end the round. The goal is to have the fewest points at the end of the round by shedding all cards. Cards have skull symbols on them that are the points that you will score if they are still in hand when the round is over. Interestingly enough, the three and four cards are the most deadly to your score, while the ones and sixes are worth no points against you. These cards are also "wild" and can be played in the appropriate color tank at any time on top of other 6's and 1's. On your turn you play a card if possible to one of four different colored tanks in which the crazy creatures are set to grow. The tanks either have a minus, or a plus sign at the top. This dictates the value of card that can be played. If the tank shows a +, and a 4 is played, then the only card that can be played is a matching 4 (more on that later) 5 or 6. You can also often play a 1 or 6, or always play one on top of the other which makes these cards very powerful as they can serve to "reset" a tank, or block a tank depending on the situation. Herein lies the hidden meat of this game. Manipulating the tanks, and counting cards is the secret to success. If you can lock up a tank in such as way that no one else can play cards to it, you can devastate an opponent in this game. For example, if all red 1's and the other 6's are out when you play the last 6 on the red tank that is currently showing the + sign, you've just locked the tank and worked over any of your opponents that may still be holding red cards. Just make sure you've disposed of all of yours first! If you counted wrong, someone may still have a 1 which will reset the tank so that any other red cards can be played to it, and your evil plans will be foiled! Another interesting idea in the game is that if you play a card of matching value, you can chose to either flip the tank to the opposite sign (from + to -, or - to +) to allow you to get rid of some of your other cards in the future (provided someone does not instantly play a card that will min/max the tank out again!), or you can keep the tank's sign and force another player to draw a card. Enjoy!

The game is very, very simplistic in rule set. It is deceptively simple. At first blush, it may appear that there is little going on in the game, but repeated play will reveal that this is a very nice (nasty) tug of war game that can be played with kids as well as adults.

Crazy creatures of Dr. Doom and/or Gloom is a fun little filler that is deceptively simple, yet conceals some nasty fun. It is well worth a look as a filler that can be enjoyed by the whole family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Buonocore
United States
BOYNTON BEACH
FL
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ggambill wrote:
Crazy Creatures of Dr. Gloom (Doom is apparently translated as Gloom here in the States for reasons unknown to me)

The reason is that I would prefer not to have any more multi-billion dollar firms looking askance at me... again...

Dr. Doom(tm) Marvel, Inc. All rights reserved (most likely)...

Thanks for the nice review, Geoff. Yes, it is an excellent filler game, as well as a very good game to play with the family!

Thanks,
Stephen M. Buonocore
Stronghold Games LLC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Hartman
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Found this at a game store while visiting family over the weekend, and my daughter and I loved it. I figured it would be a good solid game, after the success I've had with Coloretto and Zooloretto. We were certainly not disappointed. Light and fun, but just enough strategy to keep everyone interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.