Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
164 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Why do some people prefer playing board games more often than video games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan Low
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have recently departed from video games to take up the board gaming habit. While the mechanics are often simpler, I find that there are few avenues of entertainment that allow face-to-face interaction. There's just something about it that far exceeds having a conversation on Skype or playing Call of Duty online.

Moreover, now that I am older and "more mature", I appreciate time with friends even more. In that, I want to make the most of every minute. Hence, board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Miller
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it's two things.

1. The social side of board games is a nice distraction from the electronic leashes in our lives (as I sit at the computer and type this).

2. I can watch my son beat a $50 video game in a week but a $50 board game will last years due to the variety of players over an AI player.

matt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
korxonthos wrote:
I'm just asking this question for several reasons: I, for whatever reason, can't seem to get into the spirit of playing video games, even strategic ones like Starcraft; I would like to know if there's anybody else who shares a similar viewpoints; and, I oftentimes have difficulty explaining to people why I would prefer board games to video games.

Thus far, when I tried explaining that many board games have far more innovative mechanisms than some video games, such as Dominion, it just seems to fly right over their heads, and in response, they quote some random computer strategy as having "interesting mechanics" as well.

What exactly is so interesting about Dominion? I found it rather dull. Personally, I think you and whoever you're talking about are speaking past each other, and not really listen. The fact that you didn't give a concrete example of an interesting video game mechanic suggests to me you weren't listening, and probably trying to take some elitist attitude that board games are far superior to video games.

So you can't get into playing video games. Don't. It's not some big mystery that everything isn't for everyone. If you like board games, stick with them. Don't worry about what others enjoy doing or playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Video games make me feel ill and tired.

They demand attention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Koeppen
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
LEGO: Hopeful for new 'Castle' sets in 2015!
badge
Games: Regarding my favorite theme of 'Fantasy', I'm hoping for fewer 'card' games and more 'board' games.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bits n' Chits

On a more serious note, I enjoy the look and feel of board games. With video games, you have a mouse or a controller and all of the action happens on the screen. With a board game, I have my playing pieces and cards in hand and I feel more in control than I do by simply moving a cursor. This is a big reason I really do not enjoy playing board games on an electronic device.

My view may differ from the OP as I love my virtual fun as well, but I do enjoy playing board games more often than video games.

Matt (poster above) made a great point when he talked about the value of board games over video games. Just to expand upon that, graphics change, systems become outdated. Sure, I love playing video games in my collection that are 20+ years old, but board games seem to age more gracefully.

One final note, I find that others (friends, family, etc.) are more willing to play a board game than a video game. My grandma doesn't want to play Wii Bowling or have to fumble around with a touch screen, but she'll be happy to sit down and play a game of Zooloretto.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The War Chief
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
BRING ME THE HEAD OF SETH NEMEC AND RIK FALCH!!!!!!
badge
In Memorial: Moose, my dog. B:? D:01/13/16. He died peacefully surrounded by those who loved him. You will be missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
Socializing and replayability are my main reasons for prefering board over video games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Fraser
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hamtastic wrote:
I have recently departed from video games to take up the board gaming habit. While the mechanics are often simpler, I find that there are few avenues of entertainment that allow face-to-face interaction. There's just something about it that far exceeds having a conversation on Skype or playing Call of Duty online.

Moreover, now that I am older and "more mature", I appreciate time with friends even more. In that, I want to make the most of every minute. Hence, board games.

My thoughts exactly. I couldn't possibly say it better than you just did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Pinchback
United States
Leonard
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mostly it's the social interaction that I enjoy.
Also, I enjoy the slow brooding thought process competing against friends. I'm too old and slow to play FPS these days.... lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually play turn based strategy games on the computer which are LONG. I have a great time playing solo, it's not fiddly as hell like a board game and it's fun and deep. My buddy and I played video games every weekend for years(1983 to 2007) but switched to board games in late 2007 because they actually finish in three hours and we've played board games since we were kids in the 70's. Now he's got kids in high school and with activities so I see him 5 times a year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Chasteen
United States
Yorktown
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love that you can play an entire board game in one evening, as opposed to playing days and weeks to beat a video game.

Board games don't require buying new expensive hardware. They never go obsolete. You can play it for as long as you take care of it.

Instead of starring at a TV alone or playing with strangers on a headset, board games force you to engage with people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
Video games make me feel ill and tired.

They demand attention.

Man, I feel anything but tired playing Civilization or Endless Space or even Panzer Corps. They sit there quietly and wait for me anytime I have to pause and do something. They are there day or night and when I want to play. It's my turn? I can take forever on my turn and I'm not driving someone nuts. In addition, I don't have to pretend I'm Sybil and run all sides. That's just me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick somers
United States
wyandotte
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
video games go obsolete after a while, i have tons of ps1 games that i'll never play again but i still play old board games.

Face to face competition is just more fun than blasting someone in MW2 or whatever number theyre on now, even if its building farms instead of shooting eachother.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
C'mon guys. Have you tried Torchlight 2? It's pretty good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Marsh
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Video games demand so much of my attention that it's hard for me to find time to play them now that I have four kids. In place, I set up a solo wargame in some distant corner of the house. When I have a free 20 minutes, I can play a turn or two before resuming my duties.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Uncle Pennybags
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Point-and-click verses the incredible world of board game mechanics... What, is there even a question here? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
korxonthos wrote:
I'm just asking this question for several reasons: I, for whatever reason, can't seem to get into the spirit of playing video games, even strategic ones like Starcraft; I would like to know if there's anybody else who shares a similar viewpoints; and, I oftentimes have difficulty explaining to people why I would prefer board games to video games.

Thus far, when I tried explaining that many board games have far more innovative mechanisms than some video games, such as Dominion, it just seems to fly right over their heads, and in response, they quote some random computer strategy as having "interesting mechanics" as well.

My big problem, is that I go on xbox live, and I get absolutely mopped by 15-year-olds. I... have a job, a wife, and a kid. This makes it incredibly difficult to spend 10-15 hours a week on a game---not that I'm complaining.

As far as playing solo... most of the time, with most games, playing solo feels like doing work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a bunch of personal reasons, in no particular order:

1. I like handling the pieces.

2. I like knowing ALL the calculations going into a game. No hidden variables, computer cheats, or secret code.

3. The social experience is better. While I've had great times playing games online in the past, I never attended the wedding of anyone I played with. Boardgames? I've met couples, kids, girlfriends, wives, and THEIR friends.

4. It's relaxing. I can relax with a good video game, too, but find myself immersed in board games easier. They just seem to go with a cup of tea better.

5. Boardgame artwork looks so amazing. Compared to my first copy of Acquire, games these days are stunning. And while there is no argument that any game of Myst or Syberia was a work of art, the pretty screens just don't hold the same sway for me as physical components.

6. Board games are timeless. My collection of video games barely even runs any more. And that new hot game I want? No video card upgrade needed.

7. Medical. I have severe tendinitis/arthritis. I'm highly prone to repetitive motion injuries. Getting away from a mouse and keyboard is necessary if I want to play games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J T
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mattmill wrote:
For me it's two things.

1. The social side of board games is a nice distraction from the electronic leashes in our lives (as I sit at the computer and type this).

2. I can watch my son beat a $50 video game in a week but a $50 board game will last years due to the variety of players over an AI player.

matt

This is my #1 reason really. While there have been a very few video games that I can still play 10 years after getting them there are many, many board games I have owned for far longer and still play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sessoms
United States
Butler
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a Super Genius, but not in the style of Mark Madden, Local sports idiot.
mbmbmbmbmb
I love board games plain and simple.

Video games it feels like 75% of them are call of battlefield modern warfare 3 with zombies.

Modern video gaming just sucks. I haven't played a game on my xbox since march. and that was Mass effect 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Tadyshak
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
PC gaming has the best video games, most of the console stuff isn't that interesting. On the PC you have companies like Paradox that produce great historical strategy games like Europa Universalis or Crusader Kings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Edlund
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Today just isn't your day...
mbmbmbmbmb
NBAfan wrote:
PC gaming has the best video games, most of the console stuff is crap. On the PC you have companies like Paradox that produce great historical strategy games like Europa Universalis or Crusader Kings.

Console games aren't crap, they just serve a different clientele. The kind that doesn't want to play with graphics cards, or download new patches on release.

I generally play my shooters on my console, and if I want a strategy game... I'll go and find a board game. They scratch a different itch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NBAfan wrote:
PC gaming has the best video games, most of the console stuff is crap. On the PC you have companies like Paradox that produce great historical strategy games like Europa Universalis or Crusader Kings.

Wrong. If you follow sites like Gamespot you will find that voting for Videogames of the year now have ALL platforms (console, handheld, PC) lumped together. This is because technology is more advanced and you can fit and program excellent games in consoles, especially thematic and storytelling ones, and even extremely creative games in which you can create user submitted material for the entire online community to try (ie Little Big Planet).

As a gamer, I welcome games from ALL genres. True gamers can always appreciate mechanics and features each genre can offer, and enjoy them all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The_Gunslinger wrote:
They scratch a different itch.

This.

Go ask the same question, except swap the words 'video' and 'board', on a video games forum, and you'll much the same answers, with much the same justifications for why they prefer the one over the over.

Neither type of game is better, or deeper, or more sophisticated, any of that kind of thing, than the other, they're just different expressions of the same basic human urge to play.

But some people prefer to play one way, and other prefer to play another way.

There are yet others who never play board games, or video games, and yet, if you look at the things they do in their lives, you will find they too play games, but they'll be political, social, or financial, or engineering, scientific, or artistic games, and so on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am not interested in hunting the correct pixel or trying to twitch faster or more accurately than another player or in playing with (partially) undocumented systems. I am interested in games which are fully disclosed and with which time can be treated as an infinite resource without significantly affecting the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sitz
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
People.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.