aaron belmer
United States
Webster Groves
St Louis
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there any big place mat type things that simulate open space? Maybe one the size of an entire table?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Bowers
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably be easy to make. Black cloth, white paint and done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nolan Cluff

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zenmazster wrote:
Are there any big place mat type things that simulate open space? Maybe one the size of an entire table?

HotzMat. Look them up on the net.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua R
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
GO TO JAPAN!
badge
Artist: Shohei Otomo
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a few threads on this topic, one focusing on Bannersonthecheap.com... I took advantage of their sale and got this fairly decent Hubble print for less than $15 (before shipping):

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kirby
Malaysia
KL
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What we've been doing at the local games shop is to download pictures from the website below, and send to a printing shop for printing and mounting:

http://www.hubblesite.org/gallery/album/entire/npp/all/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Örtman
Sweden
Malmö
Skåne
flag msg tools
badge
KDM
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone know if there plans on FFG's part to release any mats? Probably best off just getting my own, just wondering..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They have no plans that they have announced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aaron belmer
United States
Webster Groves
St Louis
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wow thanks so much all!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
HotzMat indeed. Rather expensive if you want a full table sized one, but awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
Canada
Kinda SW of Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
frogimus wrote:
This is "tiled" for home printing. Would be nice to stitch together and have a vinyl banner printer to make a mat

http://www.worldworksgames.com/store/index.php?view=product&...

This is the route I took. It looks like a very nice illustration and very affordable.

I plan on printing it out on label paper and then sticking it to chip board, maybe even doing a bit of engineering to make it a foldable board. A clear desk mat to sit on top would easily address miniature sliding during the game too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aaron belmer
United States
Webster Groves
St Louis
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If anyone owns 'battle beyond space' board game you can use that board as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Fox
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Provided you have ample storage space, you can make a great (read: CHEAP) DIY play surface. I simply went to my nearest big box hardware store and purchased a large sheet (4 ft x 8 ft) of 1/4 inch hardwood underlayment plywood sheeting for less than $15.00. Obviously, pricing may vary greatly based on where you live. However, this stuff comes sanded and ready to paint since it is often used for cabinetry. Also, you can have them cut it to size right there in the store for free. I went ahead and waited the 30 minutes to get an associate at the wood cutting station and asked him to cut a 4x4 panel and a 3x3 panel for my game boards. With that taken care of, I bought another plywood sheet that was 2 ft x 2 ft so I would have all my bases covered (that ran about $6.00 I believe). Then I grabbed a small can of latex based black paint and another of white paint. I also purchased a paint roller because I wasn't sure if I had one laying around or not ($5.00). All told, I invested less than $40.00 to get three game boards (and the materials to make them look spacey). It was then just a matter of rolling out a couple layers of black paint per board, then "flicking" white paint at them with a small brush to look like distant stars. Perhaps not as "artistic" as the vinyl banner route, but I was playing on my 2x2 board the very next day and have every board size I will need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Fuller
United States
Hartland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I went to Jo-ann fabric and found a black felt fabric that has a small amount of glitter in it. It's not obnoxious and it actually looks like a star pattern with the faint twinkling of the glitter.

http://www.joann.com/glitter-felt-many-colors/prd23482/

I cut a piece of OSB to the size of 3x3 and wrapped the fabric around it. Total cost of the playing surface: $7.25

My friend got a Hotz mat and I wasn't impressed by it at all, as I looks like I could have done better -- maybe it's just his mat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.J.
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thuddeus wrote:
zenmazster wrote:

HotzMat. Look them up on the net.

Absolutely. If you want to send someone money and then never receive the product and have all your emails ignored, Hotz Artworks THE place to go to become a victim.

Seriously, go elsewhere. He'll answer all your questions and such right away before he has your cash, making you feel confident all those complaints about his lousy service must be a thing of the past or aberrations. But once he gets your money, he'll ignore you for months, then lie about why you haven't gotten it and how it'll be going out right away, and six months later you're collecting your payment information & all your email contacts for filing complaints with the authorities.

Be aware that Paypal and your credit cards may have a time limit for helping you out easily.

I have no problem putting my name behind this: Stay away from Hotz. If you want to send me your money, I can promise the same service I've received of ignoring you and sending you nothing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered a 3'x3' space mat from Hotz. My experience wasn't as negative as others, but shipping did take awhile (~1 month or so). I felt that was pretty reasonable for the time it takes to make and treat these things and the backlog I assumed he has. It certainly felt like a long time, especially in this day and age of instant online shopping and shipping. But. maybe I was a lucky customer -- don't mean to dismiss anyone else's negative experiences. I hadn't heard all the bad reviews before I ordered.

As for the actual product:
- it doesn't look as astounding as you might expect (but still looks far better than a naked tabletop). The nebulae seemed a little sloppy and underwhelming. Nevertheless, I did get a lot of compliments on it last night at the game store when I had it set up and a few people seemed interested in getting their own.
- the price is very reasonable for a 3x3, but shipping is a bit high depending on how you ship it and where you're at
- it's heavy and thick. I think this is the best advantage over a DIY piece of fabric. I assumed thinner fabrics would wrinkle or bunch up or slide during game play unless mounted down to the table or another board. The Hotz mat is sturdy and think and doesn't move during game play.
- coarse surface. The friction from the rugged surface keeps ships from sliding nearly as much as they did when we played straight on a table top. This is a big advantage over something like a vinyl banner from BannersontheCheap (I have one of those with a Death Star surface pattern).

Well, that's my own personal experience and my own honest take on the product. But, it sounds like Caveat Emptor ('Buyer Beware').

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard van der Haak
Netherlands
Boerakker
Groningen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmmm, I ordered a mat from Hotz, three weeks later it arived. No problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
My HotzMat took over three months, but that was shipped over the ocean by ship. Everything fine. I was slightly underwhelmed when I first saw it, but it's very functional in play, and more details in the mat would compete against the spaceships too much IMHO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Fox
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've been mulling over the play surface issue for a while now and have been trying to come up with a more portable solution. Then, it struck me and I feel silly that it took me this long to think of it.

There have been many posts requesting someone make a play surface out of mouse pad material. However, this material seems rather costly for them to produce. A simple solution: cheap rubber mats. If nothing else, miniatures would not slide around very easy and prevent some of those "accidental" ship adjustments that inevitably take place.

Found this on Amazon, and it seems like a reasonable solution. http://www.amazon.com/Body-Solid-Super-RF34B-Bike/dp/B00186N...

Those who are more inclined to DIY projects could probably even add a custom space background with a little spraypaint/airbrushing and flicking small droplets to replicate stars. (I'll defer to any experienced painters for the best, if any, products to use on this material)

Anyhow, just wanted to add this in case anyone is feeling adventurous. I'll hopefully have time soon to give it a try. If I can, I'll post pictures of the project and offer input on the results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Hood
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadges by request, geekmail me for details!
mb
Rogue Squadron wrote:
I've been mulling over the play surface issue for a while now and have been trying to come up with a more portable solution. Then, it struck me and I feel silly that it took me this long to think of it.

There have been many posts requesting someone make a play surface out of mouse pad material. However, this material seems rather costly for them to produce. A simple solution: cheap rubber mats. If nothing else, miniatures would not slide around very easy and prevent some of those "accidental" ship adjustments that inevitably take place.

Found this on Amazon, and it seems like a reasonable solution. http://www.amazon.com/Body-Solid-Super-RF34B-Bike/dp/B00186N...

Those who are more inclined to DIY projects could probably even add a custom space background with a little spraypaint/airbrushing and flicking small droplets to replicate stars. (I'll defer to any experienced painters for the best, if any, products to use on this material)

Anyhow, just wanted to add this in case anyone is feeling adventurous. I'll hopefully have time soon to give it a try. If I can, I'll post pictures of the project and offer input on the results.

That's interesting, we've been experimenting with a black tablecloth, and while it certainly looks great, it's just too light. Any movement reaching over the table that catches the surface ends up moving ships, quite often we'd end up with such a crumpled play surface that it looked like a tear in the space-time continuum, which would be great if it were Star Trek I guess. I think I'd want to go either something like the product you posted, or reasonably thick card (but then it's really not portable at all).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This Guy
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I just picked up a few yards of black satin fabric with gllitter stars on it. http://www.joann.com/halloween-spirit-collection-glitter-sta...

Might seem cheesy, but for $5.19 a yard, I think it will be more than adequate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.