BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: How much did u spend on Board Game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Lam
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've alreadu spend $1,048.50 US, My boardgame experience is only 9 months......yuk I got to find a job. I find I got addicted to open a new box of board game.....devil

Settler of Catan
Settler of Catan expansion
Res Publica <------ Reiner Good game, got out of print <----50% off
Witch Trial
The Big Idea
Quest of the Round table
Citadel
Zombies!!!
Zombies!!! 3.5
Grass <-------- 50% off clearance
Carcassonne - The Castle <-------- 50% off clearance
Cluedo - Card game
Bohnanza <-------- 50% off clearance

Hong Kong 05 - June ~ August
Louis IV
Colossal Arena
I'm the boss
6 Nammit
Coloretto
Pueto Rico
Shadow over Camelot
King Me!

Denmark 05 - 25% tax free ^^
Kingdoms
Through the desert
Dungeons & Dragons
Mare Nostrum
Caesar and Cleopatra

Sweden 05 - Malmo Buy at 55% SALE ^^
Private Cove
Memoir 44
Memoir 44
Zombies!!! 3

Paris 05
Pitchcar

Vienna 05
Liberte <----- Out of print, but find 2 new copy in Austria Vienna.
Mini Inkognito
Fiese Freunde Fette Feten

Hong Kong 05 - Book shop
High society
Buy low, Sell high

How about you guys?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think I want to calculate it. Even though my total can't be as bad as most people on this site, I am a student, so I really can't afford what I'm spending on games. Then again, the school buys many of the games for my club, which is nice. And this is certainly a much cheaper hobby and form of entertainment than most people I know have, what with how much going out costs in New York City. I guess multiplying 60 by $25 I'd get a very rough calculation of around $1,500, eek! But you can't put a price on happiness, right? I certainly did enjoy my club's game night this evening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Fuller
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
my wife will tell you way to much, I say I have barely scratched the surface.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Acosta
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well if you look at my profile, I have 57 games, but I probably have a few more than that; Im lazy about updating and logging games lately. Im not sure of the totals of all that, and I probably would rather not know. I used to have a decent collection of magic cards, I have other ccgs lying about, plus miniatures for tons of games, as well as expansions, etc. But this is over a decade of collecting games.

But these days, I probably spend about $20.00 on gaming a month. so if I want a pricey game, I generally dont get anything for a while. Plus I dont like buying games and not getting to them before I make another purchase. I still feel guilty about when I got Axis and Allies DDay free when I bought another game at toys r us about a year back. Ive still not opened the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've bought about 70 games since I discovered BGG maybe 15 months ago. That's roughly $2300.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Rasmuson
United States
Draper
UT
flag msg tools
um... $1700, in the last month. Plus the cost of going to Essen... but, BOY WAS IT FUN!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I was into Magic a while back, and D&D...this is not as expensive, I reckon about £90 in the past 3 months. For 6 games (Ok, 3 were birthday presents). Given I don't drink or smoke, my budget is holding out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Staley
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just doing some math on this subject the other day. Since "finding" BGG last January, I have purchased roughly about 100 games. Now, I'm on a very tight shoe-string budget, so I have mostly done my "shopping" at the Thrift.

I did find some good bargins at the Toys R Us clearance last year though on two games; Battle Ball for $5 and The LOTR Movie Trivial Pursuit for $6. Other than that, the other 90+ games cost me 35 cents each because the Thrift near me is an "outlet" and all their games are 35 cents, no matter what their condition.

So, for roughtly 100 games I spent less than $50.

Not all of them were vintage or common fare either...but I do look forward to the day I can walk into the local hobby shop or order a brand new game online!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Adey
United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been gaing for many years now. My first purchase that I can remember was Risk! in about 1972, along with Subbuteo Test Match Cricket. Then Tri-Tactics at about 1974 (I was born in 1960).

The first SPI invasion was in about 1977-78 - October War, followed by Fulda Gap and Stargate.

When I was a student I discovered D&D, and miniatures gaming.

I have spent about £2000 on purely board games in 30+ years I guess, and presently buy about 3-4 games a year. Add about £1000 for my minis collection and sets of wargames rules. I am very picky!

Why no more? I have difficulty getting opponents for anything other that Settlers and other German games. So I "settle" (no pun intended) for a computer opponent mostly. Usually computer games, but sometimes ports of board games to the mighty micro.

It`s a pretty cheap hobby if you`re careful about what you buy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's hard to say exactly with everything I've bought and likewise sold on ebay. If you average it out to about $30 per game then around $9000 or so within the last eight years or so.

But that isn't factoring in 24 years or gaming. Add in roleplaying games, ccgs, and miniatures... I'd guess a little over $20,000 total. If it was signifigantly higher then it wouldn't surpise me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McIlhatton
New Zealand
Palmerston North
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been in catchup mode for the last year so I've probably spent about US$1400.

I expect my budget for next year to be in the region of US$500. I need to be careful that I don't enter the realms of the 'games collector'. I already have far too many unplayed games and lately I have been buying them faster than I can play them.

For the hours of fun you get out of it boardgaming is a fairly cheap hobby.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In 9 years, not counting trips to Essen, around £12000. Just ordered from Adam Spielt, €460 but it wasn't all mine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've spent between $300 and $350 (US). I probably have another $200 worth that were given to me. The best part is, at the moment, I don't feel the need to buy any more games. :)

b

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Siggins
England
Bexhill
SUSSEX
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Know the feeling Jon, know the feeling...

Data before 2000 is classified and unknowable. I don't think it could have been less than $30,000, and possibly more.

Data since 2000 is reasonable. Probably $300 per year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robin goblin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
I'm probably spending about $500 a year...which seems pretty restrained to me!

Compare it to the money we spend on daycare or food or housing or...and it's not so much...Lots of my spending is for games as presents for my kids (which means i get to play too!) and I buy only a few new things (last six months it would be Triumph of Chaos, ASLSK#2, Dune, Alcase 1945, Odin's Ravens and both boxes of Wings of War) then do smoe thrift storing, the odd second hand thing of ebay or csw, and lots of trading!

Robin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barak Engel
United States
Oakland
CA
flag msg tools
And the Geek shall Inherit the Earth
badge
I am the unholy trinity: Agnostic, Atheist, and Skeptic.
mbmbmb
Well...

Strictly speaking, considering that I've bought most of my 100+ games in the past year or so (thanks BGG! shake), and considering that the average retail is, say, $35, then probably quite a bit.

But practically speaking, I spent very little, for several reasons:

1) I bought quite a few online at discounted prices
2) I picked up at least 30 of them, from an FLGS that is going out of business by year's end, for similar discounts to online or better (50% in many cases).
3) I made a lot of it back on "buying low selling high", again from said FLGS. The owner is OK with it - it's not his main job, he doesn't have time or energy to deal with selling stuff online, and from his standpoint, I'm seriously helping him clean up. Over the last 8 months I think I managed to add roughly $600 worth of games to my collection this way - the vast majority at 30-50% off retail - or basically 30 games or thereabouts for free, if you will. That's $600 in profit, mind you; the overall cash outlay was 2-3 times that, and the risk is all mine; I can't return the stuff to him once I buy it, so if I can't resell the things I bought purely for financing my own game purchases, I'm stuck with them. Up to now I've only gotten "stuck" with some minor stuff, like a copy of Settlers card game that I really only got as a trading item but can't find anyone to trade it with.
4) Thrift store finds financed quite a bit of it. I picked up Talisman, Talisman Expansion, Talisman Adventure, Talisman City and Talisman Dungeon a while back for the whopping price of $6 total or so. I recently sold the last two (City and Dungeon) on eBay for a net profit (after all related costs) of about $150, financing more game purchases. I do plan on selling the rest as well, and I expect a similar return on them (Talisman+Exp+Adv should go for $200 or so).

So all in all, I think I actually *spent* in the range of $500-$800 or so out of pocket for all those games I got in the last year or so, and I got some serious gems in there, like Die Macher and Talisman 3rd Ed. I *paid* a lot more, but I got most of it back. Nothing like a bit of entrepreneurship, eh?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I started keeping track I've spent $3155
I've sold games totalling $3001

that's since 2002. So that's $154 over four years

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bryan
United States
Barbourville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've probably spent somewhere around $20,000 I average $1000-$1500 a year, not including conventions. I used to play lots of wargames which added to the cost, as those tend to be a bit more pricey than Euros.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
According to my little spreadsheet of doom, I've spent ~$5000 since February 2004 (that includes applicable shipping for each game). I know that I way overspent, but I had some catching up to do . At any rate, I now have a nice game library, and I'm not itching to get much except for a handful of newer releases, and the occasional piece to fill in a collection hole.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
I seem to average about $350 per month...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I just started re-building my collection last fall, I had a lot of catching up to do so I'd guess somewhere in the $1500 range this year. But it's trickled down to the $60/month or so range lately. And really, unless I trip across an estate sale full of grail games, or my wife changes her mind about me filling more shelves with games , I don't see that changing for the forseeable future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Witchey
United States
Laguna Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm currently running about $200 to $300 per month.

A year ago, my $$$s where going to PotSM through the Crimson Coast expansion, then I lost interest. Before that, it was Heroclix. Before that it was D&D 3.0 and 3.5 books.

Now, my game purchases are all board games.

My wife is very supportive of my purchases because she likes to see me gain something for all the work I do. She is a stay a home mom working very hard to take care of our house and daughter. When I get home from work, I give her a break by playing games with the little one for an hour or so until dinner time. So, she is very happy to see me spend $$$ on a hobby I enjoy and on a hobby provides for quality time with my daughter. Sure as hell beats watching TV for hours (although I do that too).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Jacy
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I just recently bought a bunch of games at once (8), for about $160. Before that, meaning the rest of this year I've spent maybe $15. And before that, meaning all the years total before that (about 4-5 years) I probably have only spent about $40.

Seeing as how I own over 75 games, I figure around 55-60 of those were bought by other people for me. Xmas and my b-day being close together, the end of the year is just about the only time I get new games (and incidently new music). But now that I've got a bit more money to spend, I expect to average maybe $200 per year on games, give or take.

No matter how little I seem to actually game (never enough), I like having some new stuff at least yearly, even if it is just "new stuff for me," as I doubt I'll see any of this year's Essen games in my possession anytime soon.

-Normally I wouldn't have thought about the question, but I guess my recent game order provoked me, and I didn't want to do a list just to show my happiness about my new games.

-jjacy1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
I'll give 5GG to anyone who can figure out for me how much I've spent on games this year:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listi...

I did this to have an idea of how MANY games I was buying, but I hate putting a figure on that sort of thing. Sometimes, it just frightens me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
Peso Pete wrote:
Power Grid - Rio Grande (for $10, no less!)

Wow, that's a deal! Wish I'd found a copy at that price....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.