Android: Netrunner» Forums » Strategy

Subject: How to Make the Most Noise with the Right Influence Choice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
...do not calle up That which you cannot put downe; either from dead saltes or out of ye Spheres beyond.
badge
Wicked Lich of the West
mbmbmbmbmb
The intent of this thread is to start an open ended discussion on making a critical Influence based decision. With that in mind I am purposely not posting a deck and I ask anyone responding to do, or I should say not do, the same.

Scenario:
Your Noise deck is almost built. You have your in faction viruses and card draw mechanics along with the prerequisite Ice Breakers and you made the right choice going with Crysis>Wyrm. There realistically are not all that many cards to choose from at this point so use your imagination to fill in the blanks. Now it comes down to the nitty-gritty... You have around 10-12 Influence points to use and there are three cards that are catching your eye:

Forged Activation Orders: Along with the Noise ability to trash R&D with viruses and Parasite the Corp player is going to be thin on Ice. At minimum Corp will be rezzing the Ice you choose when you want, depleting their credits.

The Maker's Eye: In combo with Medium the Corp player is going to need to devote a significant amount of attention to stop you from running their R&D for an easy win.

Bank Job: Perhaps less sexy than the other two choices the reality is Noise tends to be strapped for cash and this card does the trick to get those much needed credits.

Without considering additional cards (pretend any you think of fit into the remaining 3-5 point slots) 10-12 influence points lets you put in two of these cards... Which card is NOT going to make the cut?
Poll
Which card does not make the cut?
Forged Activation Orders
The Maker's eye
Bank Job
I do not agree with the above choices
      107 answers
Poll created by Tokhuah

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt - Conduit23
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Voted for FAO because it serves so many purposes. It either straight up trashes some good ICE, or it scouts AND drains credits.

I think Medium does enough damage without Maker's Eye.

Bank Job is nice money but I wouldn't cut FAO for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah D

Arlington
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You say "which are going to" but the the poll says "which aren't going to" I see what you're saying here, but I'm guessing you're going to trip some people up there thereby messing up the poll results

*EDIT* Haha, point proved...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Lindsay
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think the poll is phrased as 'which 1 of these 3 would you not end up including.'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
...do not calle up That which you cannot put downe; either from dead saltes or out of ye Spheres beyond.
badge
Wicked Lich of the West
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, sorry about the confusion. I fixed the text with a well placed bold & cap NOT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah D

Arlington
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Tokhuah wrote:

Without bringing in additional cards (pretend any you think of fit into the remaining 3-5 point slots) which 10-12 influence points worth of card is NOT going to make the cut?

May I suggest

Quote:

Without considering additional cards (pretend any you think of fit into the remaining 3-5 point slots) 10-12 influence points lets you put in two of these cards... Which card is NOT going to make the cut?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt - Conduit23
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Woops. Then I would vote to cut Maker's Eye because FOA is too powerful and I like money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wicked Lich of the West
mbmbmbmbmb
I changed the text per the suggestion by Noah.

The poll allows you to change your vote.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Jamet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry. I don't speak english well enough to understand this expression: to make the cut. And Gogol translator doesn't help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Yates
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
badge
Tea and Board Games
mbmbmbmbmb
"Which card does not make the cut?" = "Which card is not good enough to include?"

That must be a really difficult English phrase to try to work out with a translator.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Jamet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK thanks. ”...ne vaut pas le coup.” in french, I suppose (does not worth the shot).

I completely agree with Matt Danuser :
FAO is very good.
The Maker's Eye isn't necessary. Medium already produces enough chantilly.
And Bank Job does not make the cut.

Inside Job is another good card, but it costs 3 influence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Steinbach
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
Of the three, I'd cut The Maker's Eye. The combo with Medium is nice, but it seems a bit redundant; the interaction is somewhat of a "win more" setup.

FAO is just too good and too versatile to leave out. Bank Job is also a nice source of income, which Noise will probably need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Anderson
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Pyjam wrote:
OK thanks. ”...ne vaut pas le coup.” in french, I suppose (does not worth the shot).

Well, to clarify: "to make the cut" = to pass a rigorous selection process in which not all worthy candidates can succeed; "the cut" is the moment at which it is decided which candidates will be rejected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Buchanan
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
The biggest problem that I see with maker's eye in a noise deck is that you can't use it at the same time as a demo run. Medium is a lot more effecent when used with a demo run. Of course you could always put one maker's eye in as a sort of finishing move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah D

Arlington
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
JBgames wrote:
The biggest problem that I see with maker's eye in a noise deck is that you can't use it at the same time as a demo run.
Same thing with Stimhack.

Yeah, it seems the majority are in agreement that Anarchs need Maker's eye the least. I think that's two part, one being its inability to combo with the other run cards and two being the fact that as Anarch you're already going to win if you can get into R&D enough. FOA and Bank Job spread the Ice thinner, destroy Ice, give you money, or rob money from the Corp, all making it more likely that your R&D runs will succeed. Maker's eye increases the value of the R&D run (already very high) without helping it succeed.

Not that it wouldn't be great to have, but when tough choices have to be made, I think it's the easiest to let go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Giovannetti
United States
Woodinville / Bothell Area
Washington
flag msg tools
Cutting FAO is by far the worst choice. FAO is extremely strong and works quite well with parasites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.