Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1 and 2 are better with second ed. Most 'quests' are under 2 hours (though some can bleed into 4 hours). Most quests are smaller in map size too, in fact a LOT smaller. The biggest issue though is that the game is best played as a campaign, which is about 20 hours in length. You are meant to play in segments of quests, but if you don't intend to play a campaign, it's not as fun.

3 is hard to say. Each character class is different and have their pros/cons, but I'm not sure it's that much different than 1st Ed. It's a little more focused/less random for the different classes, but it has a similar feel that you might not feel it's that different from 1st Ed. My 1st Ed fans feel that many of the changes favor the overlord, but I feel it's that while there are many changes, there are still some issues. It's really hard to explain without playing a few quests. YMMV.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
Menin Gate at Midnight, Will Longstaff, 1927.
badge
"At the landing, and here ever since" - Anzac Book, p. 35.
mbmbmbmbmb
matzi1 wrote:
Hi!
1. My first issue was with Descent 1 that it took ages to play. (At least 4-5 hours). We do not have that many time, sadly. Maximum 3 hours we got. What is the shortest and longest scenario's length?

I agree with Bryce above, the average time my group (of 4) has taken to play a scenario (both parts) is 2 hours.

Quote:

2. Other problem was the SPACE. D1 has eaten so many table-space, we often had to place items on our chairs. This led to the problem when we wanted to carry the large coffin to a friend, there was even less place. How much space does 2nd ed. occupy?

As Bryce noted, very small maps and table space required. A typical map might be the size of an A4 sheet of paper. I don't think many layouts go much beyond that.

Quote:

3. Balance. My concerns were with D1 that almost everyone choose to be a Tank, because other classes simply s..ked. Not-tank-characters were always beaten to death, which led to player frustration: "Get off me, you!" And besides, the base game was too easy for the Heroes, the expansion were too hard for the Heroes...
Was the balance-issues corrected? (or, at least are they on an acceptable level?)

We've had even wins for the Overlord and Heroes in all our scenarios thus far (probably about 10 played), and in general I'd say most of those scenarios have hung quite closely in the balance.

However, how you fare in any given scenario will depend on the characters you have. Some scenarios require a fast character, some require a healer, some require a warrior. My group picked our characters, then realised we didn't have a warrior, so it has been a bit of a struggle at times in those scenarios needing a lot of bashing about.

I think the scenarios we've lost, we've put down to 'our bad tactics', and those we've won we've put down to 'our good tactics'. We've only played ONE scenario where we felt that it was a little unbalanced towards the Overlord (can't remember what the name of it is), but again, I think with a Warrior we would have fared better in that particular scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matzi1 wrote:
Hi!

I want to buy this game, but first of all I need some info.

I had Descent first ed. once, but had to sell it for certain reasons. In order not to do the same mistake, I have to ask a few queestions about 2nd ed. (Moreover, here in Hungary it is around 90 dollars Ugh!)

1. My first issue was with Descent 1 that it took ages to play. (At least 4-5 hours). We do not have that many time, sadly. Maximum 3 hours we got. What is the shortest and longest scenario's length?

2. Other problem was the SPACE. D1 has eaten so many table-space, we often had to place items on our chairs. This led to the problem when we wanted to carry the large coffin to a friend, there was even less place. How much space does 2nd ed. occupy?

3. Balance. My concerns were with D1 that almost everyone choose to be a Tank, because other classes simply s..ked. Not-tank-characters were always beaten to death, which led to player frustration: "Get off me, you!" And besides, the base game was too easy for the Heroes, the expansion were too hard for the Heroes...
Was the balance-issues corrected? (or, at least are they on an acceptable level?)

Thanks for helping me!

1. Most quests are split into two encounters, and each encounter usually takes about 60-90 minutes, including map setup. You shouldn't have many issues completing one full quest each session. I don't recommend stopping the game between encounters, because there's a lot more information to note at the end of an encounter.

I will say that the two Interlude quests are one encounter, but that one encounter is much longer than usual. You may want to make sure that you have some extra time when going into the interlude, in case the game runs long.

2. The maps are significantly smaller, and there's less fiddly bits to keep track of, so you shouldn't have an issue there. Again, the two interludes are much larger than normal.

3. There's a few changes to how the game works, that should fix most of the more glaring issues with balance. For one, the heroes don't have a large power spike during a single quest - in D1, you often had the issue of the heroes being incredibly weak and easy to kill in the start of the quest, and incredibly powerful and unkillable at the end, while the overlord, aside from monsters that are already on the map, doesn't get much more powerful over time. In D2, the heroes stay at the same power level throughout the quest, and both sides get a chance to get stronger after each quest.

The overlord isn't encouraged to beat up on the weakest hero any more, since the objective isn't related to the conquest tokens mechanic. The overlord has specific objectives to complete, and many times "knocking down the heroes" isn't part of it (though don't get me wrong, heroes that are taking a dirt nap are much easier to beat than those standing at full health...) So the incentive for everyone to play beefy tanks is mostly gone.

As for how balanced the game as a whole is, it seems to be pretty good. There's still a few kinks to be worked out (not surprising with a game of this complexity), but overall it's pretty good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
matzi1 wrote:
Okay, BIG thanks for you, guys, I have ordered the game. It seems like to be a game what I wanted D1 to be.

I had similar problems with D1 and have found D2 to be exactly this and more (the more being primarily the class system).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Most 'quests' are under 2 hours (though some can bleed into 4 hours)

Sethala wrote:
1. Most quests are split into two encounters, and each encounter usually takes about 60-90 minutes, including map setup.

I think I need to institute a turn timer of some sort. We usually get through just one encounter per session (~2 hours), and that's with me setting everything up beforehand. The Heroes take a good chunk of time discussing the situation before any of them takes a turn. So if it were straight playing time, I'd agree that each scenario would take an hour or so, but depending on how quickly your Heroes decide what to do and act, it may go longer than that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matzi1 wrote:
shnar wrote:
The biggest issue though is that the game is best played as a campaign, which is about 20 hours in length. You are meant to play in segments of quests, but if you don't intend to play a campaign, it's not as fun.

-shnar

Oh, plying in a campaign is not an issue for me. Moreover, my players always complained about D1 that there is no character advancement.

As long as you don't mind the campaign concept, then you'll probably like this game more than 1st Ed. 1st Ed has a lot more character advancement than 2nd Ed in one sitting. A quest in 1st Ed advances a character to its maximum potential (i.e. potions, coins, copper/silver/gold treasure, skills, power dice, etc), but doesn't connect from quest to quest. Basically, it's like a campaign in one sitting, another reason it takes so long to complete. What 1st Ed does in a 5 hours game session, 2nd Ed does in 20 hour game sessions.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryann Turner
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
What 1st Ed does in a 5 hours game session, 2nd Ed does in 20 hour game sessions.

-shnar

That's a bit of an exaggeration. In 1E you started with 3 skills and money, so you're starting much further than in 2E. By the end of the quest in 1E all you acquire is equipment, if you're lucky and draw well.

In 2E after 2-3 quests you'll be at the exact point you are at the end of a single 1E quest, but you've taken the whole journey, not beginning in the middle with 3 random skills.

I much prefer 2E's advancement arc than 1E.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
btizo wrote:
shnar wrote:
What 1st Ed does in a 5 hours game session, 2nd Ed does in 20 hour game sessions.

-shnar

That's a bit of an exaggeration. In 1E you started with 3 skills and money, so you're starting much further than in 2E. By the end of the quest in 1E all you acquire is equipment, if you're lucky and draw well.

In 2E after 2-3 quests you'll be at the exact point you are at the end of a single 1E quest, but you've taken the whole journey, not beginning in the middle with 3 random skills.

I much prefer 2E's advancement arc than 1E.

You can prefer 2nd Ed as much as you like, but my statement was not an exaggeration. In 1st Ed, you can purchase skills just like 2nd Ed. You can also purchase power dice upgrades, and potions, both of which you cannot in 2nd Ed. After 3 quests in 2nd Ed you're no where near at the same point as 1st Ed, you're lucky if you're there somewhere in 2nd Act, i.e. the end of the campaign. The only real advantage 2nd Ed has over 1st is the non-random skill acquisition. It's much more focused on the 'class', which is fine (and one reason it appeals to a lot of people), but remember, it takes 15hrs+ to get there over multiple sessions.

Not trying to say which one is better or worse, just laying out the facts.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.