Subject: Material? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Homer S.
Germany
Dortmund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I got it right, MANTIC will use plastic to produce the DB miniatures, which is ok for me per se. But does anybody know, what kind of plastic they will use for this game? As I like and prefer the miniatures FFG uses for their kind of games (the material is sturdy enough, so nothing breaks while used in matches), I am a little unconfident about e. g. the material GW uses, let´s say for Space Hulk, etc. I´m asking from a gamer´s point of view, who will use the miniatures for matches, and only in second view for painting.

Any ideas? I just want to be sure before I invest further $170 in "damageable" plastic for all the season 2 and 3 teams. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Homer S.
Germany
Dortmund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thx for your reply. My further hope is, that I won´t have to assemble the miniatures, as they - in best case - consist of only one part, even the big ones. As example I see those miniatures FFG uses for boardgames like RUNEWARS (Heroes), DESCENT, etc. Maybe MANTIC uses even another way here, than for Warpath or Kings of War, as these are more Tabletops than boardgames ... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carmen Cerra
United States
Ames
IA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember reading that most of the figures are one piece, but there will be the odd arm or limb here and there to attach to a few of the figures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
No doubt, the figures will be done in hard plastic, and that bodes well for the primer sticking!

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B'Cup x
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
trebormills wrote:
Im sure an official reply will appear but I understand it will be the "restic" sort of plastic that they have used for many of the newer figures they produced for Warpath and Kings of War.

Seem pretty sturdy to me- assembly works best with Superglue (where needed)

not that I'm doubting you, but why would superglue be better than polystyrine cement? I've never seen Mantic miniatures irl so I'm genuninely curious x

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fisher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adam Baxter wrote:
trebormills wrote:
Im sure an official reply will appear but I understand it will be the "restic" sort of plastic that they have used for many of the newer figures they produced for Warpath and Kings of War.

Seem pretty sturdy to me- assembly works best with Superglue (where needed)

not that I'm doubting you, but why would superglue be better than polystyrine cement? I've never seen Mantic miniatures irl so I'm genuninely curious x

That would be because they're not made of polystyrene. Polystyrene cement works by melting polystyrene - which is by far the most common plastic used for miniatures. However, it needs to by injection molded in steel molds. Mantic's 'restic' figures are plastic, but not injection molded polystyrene. So they're not melted with the solvent in polystyrene cement. Hence you need to use an adhesive, such as superglue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Hough
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it's just me, but I would really prefer these to be multi-part minis. Makes customization so much easier if I don't have to remove heads and limbs myself!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazee Yak
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bosh wrote:
Maybe it's just me, but I would really prefer these to be multi-part minis. Makes customization so much easier if I don't have to remove heads and limbs myself!

As someone coming from the tabletop side of the equation, I fully agree!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmbmbmbmb
And I am looking for a game I don't have to spend hours preparing to play. I want to be able to open up the box, pull out the board, place the figures, and play. That's it. That's all I want.

The most annoying thing about Blood Bowl, was the need to model this Skaven and Chaos mutants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazee Yak
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never been a fan of having to proxy a model because it does not exist to be bought. I can agree with you that I will be wanting to get going with this game pretty quickly, and if most of the models are one piece that will be nice, and the ones with some assembly will make for some fun evenings when I can not play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
Bobby4th wrote:
And I am looking for a game I don't have to spend hours preparing to play. I want to be able to open up the box, pull out the board, place the figures, and play. That's it. That's all I want.

The most annoying thing about Blood Bowl, was the need to model this Skaven and Chaos mutants.

I've played miniature wargames for more than half my life. The prep-time is the reason I don't play anymore. It's a freakin' chore!

If I'm really feeling up for it I might base every team in a monochrome color, like orange for the skaven, and then paint shoulder pads and/or helmets in white, red and black depending on if the player is striker, jack or guard and then wash them over in devlan mud and lacquer the sh*** out of them so the paint won't chip ever. That way teams are separated by overall colour, the positions are separated by somewhat large details on their gear.

I can paint well, but it sucks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazee Yak
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stunke wrote:
Bobby4th wrote:

I've played miniature wargames for more than half my life. The prep-time is the reason I don't play anymore. It's a freakin' chore!

If I'm really feeling up for it I might base every team in a monochrome color, like orange for the skaven, and then paint shoulder pads and/or helmets in white, red and black depending on if the player is striker, jack or guard and then wash them over in devlan mud and lacquer the sh*** out of them so the paint won't chip ever. That way teams are separated by overall colour, the positions are separated by somewhat large details on their gear.

It's funny, as a veteran of 40k and WFB I am viewing Dreadball as an opportunity to finally get some really good painting in. The whole team is basically one squad in 40k, and I always felt so overwhelmed I never wanted to get really crazy. Here I can at least get one team really nice, though I will probably base coat, etc the teams I am less interested in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lex Major
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stunke wrote:

That is just a great idea. I Love it. That way you start with teams that are easy to differentiate and can be used "as is", but you can still go the whole way and paint it to your taste eventually. You can even leave them on primer, and if you scratch the paint in the meantime you can easily correct that.

For Dreadball which has three clearly defined positions, that's a great way of going about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
javascrybe wrote:
For Dreadball which has three clearly defined positions, that's a great way of going about it.

Please put up some pictures so we can see how it fans out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Palmer
msg tools
The DreadBall figures are made from a similar plastic to that used in the X-wing game and the PP Warjacks. They push fit together nicely, but a dab of superglue will ensure they stay fixed.

This is our sprueless plastic "Plastic Resin" material - not hard plastic that you can use polysterine cement on that Games Workshop and us use for our mass battle miniatures.

The miniatures aren't multipart because we want gamers from all walks of life to be able to pick up the game and play straight away. We've experience with other board games where we've used multipart models and they've become more hobby products that straight out of the box games, so this is something we've worked hard on with DreadBall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.