Tyler Durden
Germany
Goettingen
flag msg tools
Brettspielblog.net
badge
Visit my blog: www.brettspielblog.net
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh lord, Risk Legacy is becoming my No 1 Boardgame 2012 - and i usually really really hate any sort of risk. The last game was awesome - i hope there will be more plays like this in future:

Yesterday we met for our weekly Risk Legacy evening. We startet Legacy with four of us, after three games a fith friend joined, but he couldn't be there yesterday, but we decided to play it anyway (do you know this NEEEEEED to play this game again as sooon as possible? It's terrible but it's what makes this game a clear 10 for me).

Due to rule misunderstandings in the first game Australia is totaly overpowered and only one Player, Ben is allowed to start there - and he starts there and he is always the menace number one for the rest of us. So in the first game of the evening the other three of us made agreements to not attack each other and just try to stop or eleminate the Australian Player.
This lead to a game of military build up - although we were relying on the agreements ... well you just need to get sure, so you have to secure your borders and spread you units.
Australia even just gathered ressources in Australia, but did nothing - he just doesn't wanted to be eliminated and after few rounds the european player who didn't wo any of the previous games took his chance and overran the other two of us and won with our two HQs, his HQ and his Victory point for not haveing won a game right now.
The game was over soon, the evening with still young and we just wanted more. We couldn't even open another package - no World Capital, no 30+ Units + missles and no three missles in one battle action.

But wait! There is this "Do not open. Ever." Package on the bottom. So we opend it and well - it's a nice addition but not a game breaker. Ancients. But they were leading to one of the most interesting plays of risk legacy so far.

I was the last to set up so i did the dishes until it was my turn. When i came back to the gameboard i was astonished. Ben was again in Australia as usual, Tobi was in europe again, understandable after winning the last game from europa and chris started at his own capital on madagascar. So America - north and south - was free. South america has become to me what Australia was to Ben, but it was not that overpowered and had a biohazard sticker at the connection to north america ...nice but not that strong, but a lot of cities - continent bonus was hard to obtain.
So i started in middle america, starting first and everything ran as usual - tobi started to secure europa, ben bared in australia, chris got africa and i had the choice to get north or south america first, so i decided to get to SA first.
And then a lot of strange things happend.
I lost my HQ in round two or three to the european player. Australian player spread through asia towards north america. Africa invaded first europa, breaking the continent bonus there for tobi, and after that he invaded south america, so after round three or four i just had one unit left in venezula - the region with a biohazard sticker on it. ONE F***ING UNIT !!! Until then australian player was present in australia, asia, north america, and northern europe, getting ton's of unit each round, while the rest of us wear down ourselfs instread of uniting against the australian power.
for me the game was over. one unit left while australia started dominating the world - same procedure as every time.

i put out my ipad and started to do other things, while the rest were fighting for the victory - have seen no chance

we played agressivley. After almost killing me, the african player tried to attack the fortress Australia - a thing never ever had done in the past five games - australia was invulnerable to us, but due to some powerful events, the australian player had no capital anymore, so he was forced to do something. the african player succeeded and was able to get the capital of australia what made those two to fight for australia within the next round.
so all attention was in australia - well i had three ressources, giving me for units, so i got 7 units after my round where i was down to one unit and i just wanted REVENGE !!! i was out of the game so tried to do as much damage as far and tried to reach the African HQ in Madagascar - and i was lucky and succeded.

at this point of the game everything has changed. the african player was dominating in Sout America and Australia, me from South America was dominanting Africa - the European player wandered to North America and Australia was banned from there and stucked down in parts of asia and north america. Absolutely crazy.
In the second last round the guys in australia were fighting for it and i was able to get almost all of europe, including the headquarter, giving me two VPs and i was identified as a danger - after having just one unit left two rounds ago. The Australian player attacked me in europe, since there were very valuable ressource cards on the side board and he was successfull and took my HQ there, but for the first time since decades he just got three units - strange feeling for him - and couldn't a lot of things, but was well preparing for the next round to fight back for australia (even the fortification was destroyed there).
I the next round i gathered all my units (must have been 8 or so + 2 from my two ressource cards) in russia and started to fight for europe again. The current missions was to conquer four regions by seaways and i got a VP due to another mission some time earlier on. so i fought back my HQ giving me three VPs and after some fights i got three regions via seaways and i had just two units to attack ontario over - the first attack failed so it became a heartbeatdecision - a roll of 5 by - the defender rolled 4 - i won the game after beeing nearly eleminated from the game some rounds before - that was awesome.
Of course, i enjoyed that play the most because i won, but i thin all others had tons of fun, because it was the first game, where literally everything changed from round to round, and even used-to habbits were broken up - at first australia seemd to be the clear winner, but after conquering australia in every round every player seemed to be the dominanting player.
i hope there will be more games like this from now on - after having seen that australia is beatable i think we play more agressiv next time, or we are again lock up in our contintens to avoid beeing conquered - we will see, but we are mor excited than ever.

As winner i eliminated the bio hazard sticker in south america and the power of the faction who wins a region by rolling the same number on all three attack dice becomes more and more powerfull - it helped me twice in this game, and was - for me - the game breaker.

For sure i did not remembered every thing correctly but i just wanted to write down some aspects of this play, since it will be a remarkable play - at least for me - and it's again confirming my opinion about risk legacy - it's the best risk every and even a good game for risk haters like me

It's simply my most favorite game i played in 2012!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
flag msg tools
You Greeks are always children!
badge
Jean Gabin in La Grande Illusion
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds like it was a fantastic game. Several Earths have a problem Australia for one reason or another. I am glad our Earth does not have a problem Australia.

Africa on the other hand, as a starting location for one particular faction, is nearly a sure win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
V Dickson
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, our Australia is no longer a problem--pretty quickly balanced out thanks to the way Legacy works. And our South America was next. There are no "easy" starting places any more. Everywhere you go, things are rough. I love it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Collegeville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1Mmirg wrote:
Yes, our Australia is no longer a problem--pretty quickly balanced out thanks to the way Legacy works. And our South America was next. There are no "easy" starting places any more. Everywhere you go, things are rough. I love it!

Yes, one guy in our group tried to break Australia and make it his personal fortress. Well, that didn't work out so well. I think now that all of the packets are open it's become one of the weakest positions on the board, after being dominant in early games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.