Daryl Wilks
United States
Peshastin
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Love one another."
mbmbmbmbmb
My oldest son (8 years old) and I recently watched Return of the Jedi to complete this beloved space trilogy. He loved it and we had some great father-son time.

He spent most of last week in the hospital with a serious infection. Thankfully, it turned out to be "just" Mono (another possibility was Leukemia). Since returning home he's been having a hard time getting to sleep at night. Coincidentally, X-Wing arrived Monday so after his brothers went to sleep we stayed up and played the game for the first time. He had already seen the Fantasy Flight tutorial videos so when I started to teach him the rules, he let me know that he already knew how to play. So we skipped the intro rules and dove right into a basic standard rules game.

Setup
One Core Set - 31 point set up.

Rebel Alliance [Judah]
Luke Skywalker [28] + R2-F2 [3]

Galactic Empire [Daddy]
Mauler Mithel [17] + Black Squadron Pilot [14]

Thematic Elements
-Star Wars Music - A New Hope DVD background music on laptop
-Star Wars Soundboard thanks to Farkon's recommendation.
-Sheet of black premium posterboard ($.99) - only 22x28, but big enough for a 31 pt skirmish.

Game Play
"We'll have to destroy them ship to ship."
We headed straight for each other to engage, Imperials at top speed, Luke a little more cautiously. Thinking my superior numbers and bonus at close range would overwhelm him, I risked a frontal assault to overwhelm the rebel scum. Should have consulted the force... Our initial engagement saw Mauler take two damage, including one critical [Console Fire] that ate up my next action. My return fire (including Mauler's 5 dice attack!) only pinged one shield from Luke's T-65.

"The Force is strong with this one."
That didn't go too well, so I decided to try take advantage of the TIE's manueverability by outflying the young, inexperienced rebel. Pulled a couple of K-turns to get behind him and took some wide open but ineffective shots. (Luke's special ability saved him some damage and I realized R2-F2 was probably not a good fit for him).

"Got him, I got him!"
After a few turns of turning and burning, Luke finally got a shot on Mauler and made it count. My son had previously acquired a target lock and the re-roll gave him the one damage he needed to send Mithel to his fiery doom. KaBOOOooom!!!

"Great kid! Don't get cocky."
It was looking bad for the bad guys. But with a Sith Lord to answer to, you don't just give up. So what if you're facing an 8-year old with mono - no time for excuses! Time to dance like a bee and sting like a butterfly! Using some fancy flying I managed to get behind him and deal some respectable damage - blasting through his deflector shields for one hull damage. Meanwhile I managed to stay out of his firing arc for the most part, taking only one hull damage on my remaining TIE.

"This will be a day long remembered... it will soon see the end of the rebellion."
My lowly Black Squadron Pilot had turned the tables and evened the odds. Now I just needed to get into position to finish off the rebel scum. This young pilot had shown a pattern of straight and banked manuevers, rarely pushing the limits of his ship. After another K-turn I was set up to pull in behind Skywalker for the finishing shot. One more move and he would be dead square in the center of my sights at point blank range. The trap was set, all that was left was to pull the trigger and collect my well deserved rewards...maybe a promotion? I've been longing to take one of those TIE Advanced out for a cruise. Nothing can stop me...What? Where'd he go? Why won't this bucket of junk go any slower?

"You have failed me for the last time."
I moved (the shortest route I could) anticipating his move into my firing arc, but this was my fatal mistake.

Skywalker made a hard turn for a point blank shot and used his target lock to deal one regular and one critical damage. You know how the last TIE always seems to go up in an explosion 3 times the size of the previous TIEs? It was like that - the critical damage was a direct hit, effectively dealing 4 damage to my 3 hull vessel and setting off an impressive fireworks show. Vader will not be pleased, but I guess he can take that up with my scattered atoms.

Victory
"Your all clear, kid!"
My son triumph over the Decadent Aging Dictator (DAD) to restore balance to the force and justice to the galaxy. And though I would have blown him to star bits, given the chance, I was proud of him.

Impressions
We had a great time together with this game and it felt like it could have been a dogfighting scene from a movie. Wish I'd taken more pictures. He easily grasped the rules (just a couple of reminders of what he could do with his actions) and clearly picked up the strategy at the end. It is a rare game that I can find equal enjoyment playing with my son or with my gaming buddies, but this one nails it. Can't wait to do some 100 point multi-player games!

Thematically it is a hit, especially since he's already a Star Wars fan. The extras that we used really added a lot to the experience. In fact, towards the end, he started recreating each turn with a sequence on the soundboard (scary how fast he picks this stuff up). Our final turn went: [TIE flyby][X-Wing flyby][X-wing fire][TIE explosion][Luke: "I got him!"] delay [Vader "You have failed me for the last time."] He was so excited, he woke up mom to tell her the good news and play her the soundboard sequence.

The next morning he was excited to help me open, punch, and sort the second core set and four expansion ships. He even put all the ships together himself, the only mishap coming in breaking a peg on the last of 10 ships. He already wants to get some more ships in the action, so we have some wonderful days ahead of us!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Garrett
United States
Campbellsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My two core sets and five expansions came in yesterday and my 4-year-old son hasn't stopped talking about it. He's never seen Star Wars, but I did show him the tutorial video and that was all it took. I'm afraid he may be hooked for life now.

We have yet to play a game together, but your post excites me about him growing up with this game in his house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Little
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Karate Chop!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing such a great story -- both the session report, and the great time with your son! So glad his recovery is going well enough to give DAD a run for his money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Arcangeli
United Kingdom
Manchester
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Great shot, kid, That was one in a million!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Sieradzki
Poland
Opole
flag msg tools
badge
We don't stop playing when we get old, but we get old when we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
It must have been a perfect time for you both! Congrats!
Although I play many games with my 8 year old daughter (including Talisman, which she is very good at) she is not really interested in SW theme, so I have to rely on some old beans of my age
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Bliss
Canada
Sidney
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent session report!

I can just imagine the entire battle (and awesome voice reels) in my head.

I really think I need to knuckle down and just get this game, as I get more and more excited the more sessions I read!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Oliveira
Brazil
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for a great report. I have an 8 year old myself and would love to see him getting interested in playing anything with me. Who knows, maybe one day, right?
God bless for young Skywalker not having anything more serious.
Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Freybeck
msg tools
mbmbmb
That sounded awesome. Way to not take it easy on a sicky!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Sieradzki
Poland
Opole
flag msg tools
badge
We don't stop playing when we get old, but we get old when we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb

I play with kids quite often - below you can see one of my neighbors and his 10 year old son, a real Star Wars dare devil during our last session.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl Wilks
United States
Peshastin
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Love one another."
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys, it really is a great game to play with the padawan!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liz Burton
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
mbmbmbmbmb
That was a lot of fun to read!

I laughed out loud at the "Decadent Aging Dictator {DAD)" line. I'm going to have to tell that one to my husband.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
Germany
flag msg tools
Move along, move along...
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the key reasons why I recently got into board gaming was exactly this: to have a hobby that I can share with my family at home and have a fun time with my children. My son is only 2.5 years, but reading your post makes me look forward to the time when I can share such moments with my family too. Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.