Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is Rune Age for me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
DKI Jakarta - Jakarta Utara
flag msg tools
badge
https://www.facebook.com/gopopnow
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Hate Dominion
2. Simple
3. Solo Play
4. New expansion is available

Ikim wrote:
Is Rune Age for me?

YES!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Torino
flag msg tools
[______|_hi]
badge
[intentionally left blank]
mbmbmbmbmb
vardamir wrote:
1. Hate Dominion
2. Simple
3. Solo Play
4. New expansion is available

[q="Ikim"]Is Rune Age for me?

1. yes (check)
2. yes (check)
3. er...
4. uhm...

I'll start with vardamir's point 4.
I'm one of those that think the game is complete as it is. But I have played less than I would like (solo and 2 and 3 players), so maybe after a godzillion plays it needs an expansion to keep it interesting. (Or maybe is just me )

BTW here in the thrads someone who did play a godzillion times talked at length about imbalance between the races. I tend to agree with him, but I seldom played with... the unbalanced race.
Now it seems I hate the game. I do not!
I hope that people smarter than me and that are able to play more than me (I can seldom play anything with other people these days ) will "fix" the balance problem.
I nevertheless think that the game is good, very good in fact (I gave a 9, and I still would).

I will surely pick the expansion, because it is very nice to have but it is not required, and that for me is a good thing.

And now to point 3, solo play...
There are 2 scenarios playable solo (3 with a variant that you can find in the forums for the Monument scenario, but I didn't try it yet).
The Dragonlords scenario (aka "Intro" scenario) is not very difficult to win, it is challenging at the beginning while you are still exploring the races and the event deck. After that it is basically a "training mode".
The other, the co-op scenario, is, well, a co-op scenario. I will try it playing 2 races when I can, but I have played a number of times with 1 race.
It is harder than Dragonlords and can take quite a few plays before you can hone your strategy.

I played Rune Age solo a lot just trying different strategies (even in "training mode") and I liked the exploration... the journey.

Keep in mind that the game shines when there are other players; most of the challenge is to handle other humans, the game simply is a framework to do that.

That said, especially the co-op scenario can be fun solo!

(About the first 2 points, nothing much to say: it has nothing to do with Dominion, so hating Dominion, or loving it, has nothing to do with loving or hating - is that possible? - Rune Age; and the game is so simple that non-gamers can understand the rules and make sense of it the first play, then, with "the game" that can be safely ignored, here come all the chaos & tactics...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N S.
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it's for you.
I too dislike Dominion. It's slick, it plays well, but it feels like hollow and themeless, and has little interaction.

I like Rune Age because the interaction is huge and the effects of each card are thoughtfully integrated with the fantasy-world flavor it is supossed to represent.

The Cataclysm offers a pretty fun solo experience, but you need to understand this is essentially a multi-player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks all for the input.
I am intrigued by RUne Age, especially I could get it very cheaply, from book depository, but this:
Noahboa wrote:
but you need to understand this is essentially a multi-player game.

Is what's keeping me on the fence... Unless future expansions add more solitaire scenarios, I don't think I'll be intrigued enough... We'll see.

Thanks againg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
DKI Jakarta - Jakarta Utara
flag msg tools
badge
https://www.facebook.com/gopopnow
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, of course a game with the capacity of more than 1 player is indeed was made to corporate a multi-player game. Not like a solitaire game which really intended for single player game. So, essentially, if you play this game, it's better to play with more than 1 player. Not only that you will get full access on all scenarios but also the interaction between players actions and behaviors really make a big impact on your decision.

The expansion, not only give you new scenarios and factions, but it also gives you 2 new units for each faction on the base game, which really add more options when you play the game. There will be 6 type of units in your barrack instead of 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.