mbmbmbmbmb
Personal Experience with the game:
Two plays with 6 and 4 players.

Bias based on winning:
1 W, 1 L

Bias based on owning:
Own.

1000 meter view:
Asymmetrical roles duke it our in an area control battle for Metracol City. Bid for weapons/cards, deploy units, fight (guess opponents behaviour), collect currency, watch ship move and destroy, and repeat.

Liked:
- From two plays the game seems balanced. There's a back and forth tension that makes a game exciting.
- Was concerned that 4 players wasn't going to work, but I thought it was even better. More traitor cards were relevant in the game, and completely changed the face of it more than one time (tension).
- Binding alliances make the game interesting compared to many games where you kind of ally, and then later can back stab. You can still back stab, but it's different.
- Nice integration into the TI world. I'm sure many wish that this was set in the Dune mythology, but for someone who's never played TI or Dune, the theme and setting seems to work.
- Pretty.

Didn't Like:
- The board is a little noisy (nice but noisy). We lost the small yellow cards in the board twice whistle. The board is big and you get nervous about ripping it.
- The movement of the bombardment ships is a little tricky to see as it follows the numbering on the board. The old Dune was in a circle which made it very clear how progression goes.
- The board could have been made more useful in a number of other instances...still it works.

What did I learn about playing well:
So far, the game is about getting a feel for your race and figuring out how that will benefit you. Are they good with money? Do they fight better? How can they play the cards effectively?

Second, it seems that you should keep your guys together. There are only 4 or 5 places that need to be conquered for win conditions. There's no reason to have more than 2 or 3 groups of troops. The move restriction makes it so that separating forces can make life difficult.

Make sure you use your skills. I lost a key battle where I could have known way more than what I did.

Rating:
On BGG I gave it 9/10

Real Verdict:
I argue with my wife that a ten rating scale is irrelevant for restaurants. I either won't go back, will go back, or want to go back.
Want to play again

Peter out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Sand
Denmark
Ishøj
Select a State or Province
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice review style and structure thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom moughan
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
ahh....I love the smell of a stack of sketchily placed animals in the morning!
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the review style....good work.

I appreciate this game and would like to play it more - Only had 1 1/2 plays to date (1/2 was for the round one win) - I want to see if it can hold up to Cosmic Encounter in my mind. Guess...one of these days...we'll see!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drpaj wrote:
- The board is a little noisy (nice but noisy). We lost the small yellow cards in the board twice whistle. The board is big and you get nervous about ripping it.

This is with good reason. The first day I had this game I opened the box and started punching the chits with my 5 year-old daughter (good manual labor ).

Then she wanted to see the board and just lifted it up without holding the other side and it ripped in half. surprise surprise surprise

I saw the whole thing (in slow motion no less) and am still amazed that the board ripped. Just lifting the board??? shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek McKay
Azerbaijan
APO
msg tools
badge
Is it my turn? Sorry, I wasn't paying attention.
mbmbmbmbmb
Neverbuy wrote:
i prefer REX to Dune but I will say the 5 little ships could have been just a card board piece and dropped the price 5-10 dollars.

It is nice that the fleet is elevated, so not to interfere with pieces on the map as it moves around the board, but one piece would have sufficed.

Move the dreadnought fleet, reassemble the dreadnought fleet as it has fallen apart again and repeat. Finally, throw the dreadnought fleet across the room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihaly Rendes
Hungary
flag msg tools
Same happened to my board. One third of it just got ripped off, and we didn't even lift it Just pushed it along the table a bit...
I can see the leader chits as another quality problem. After only 4 plays the portraits started to wear off... This might only be the heat of the battle, but still I can imagine the leaders becoming unrecognizable in a few other plays

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.