Axis & Allies Europe 1940» Forums » General

Subject: Thanks & Summary Request rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Leif
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, 'thank you' to the design team & publisher for releasing a second edition of this game. I've wanted in for a year or so, but wasn't about to take $300 out of my family's budget for it. It's great when a game has such fantastic demand, but pretty sad when the people who just want to enjoy playing the game can't because all the remaining copies are being 'held for ransom'.

I understand there were also other issues with the first edition that prompted a re-release. I've heard comments to the effect that the first edition was 'broken' in some way. To be honest, I felt that way about the very first 'A&A Pacific'.

So to my question/request... can someone summarize for me why the first edition was 'updated'?

Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Leif_G wrote:
First of all, 'thank you' to the design team & publisher for releasing a second edition of this game.

You're welcome.

Leif_G wrote:
To be honest, I felt that way about the very first 'A&A Pacific'.

Did you play with the published setup, or the amended one?

Leif_G wrote:
So to my question/request... can someone summarize for me why the first edition was 'updated'?

Japan turned out to have a distinct advantage in the Pacific game. While trying to address that, we decided to go ahead and change some things in the design that we weren't completely happy with. One thing led to another, and the changes ended up being fairly extensive. Thus, the second edition was born.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr ?
United States
Midwest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both 2nd edition games will be delivered to me today...can't wait!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McFall
United States
Fort Hood
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
It's great when a game has such fantastic demand, but pretty sad when the people who just want to enjoy playing the game can't because all the remaining copies are being 'held for ransom'.

It's really pathetic actually. These people think by holding these games that they are going to make a lot of money.

Most of us in this hobby are on somewhat of a budget. Even those of us who are not, are not really willing to pay hundreds of dollars on a boardgame.

So what are these people actually gaining? A couple hundred extra bucks and thats it. A very small profit in the scheme of things.

They also effectively reduced the number of actual players for that game. Thats in a hobby that is already too small for things like that.

To these "great people" (specultors) I say "thanks". The rest of us really hope you made enough money to make a difference in your life by hiking up the price average in our small hobby. Thanks a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr ?
United States
Midwest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I sold my Europe 1940 for 180 bucks because someone wanted it. In turn I financed my new versions... If they could have held off a few months they could have gotten it for 60 bucks too. It was for sale for almost 2 years. There is a price to pay for waiting until demand grows to this level. Half my collection was financed with buying and selling at the right time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leif
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Krieghund wrote:

Did you play with the published setup, or the amended one?

Thanks for your response Kevin. I played with the published setup. This is the original 2001 game I refer to. While Europe's game had a delightful balance, the Pacific's game balance was very awkward.

In fairness though, historically, the situation in the Pacific was very unbalanced. The US had twenty times the production capacity as Japan. Japan had half of year of being virtually unchallenged, but once the US was fully mobilized for war, it was almost all down hill for Japan. Not to mention that some of the battles like Midway were excessively pivotal in nature, reducing Japan's naval power significantly in a matter of hours.

So I appreciate the real challenges in trying to strike a balance between replicating the historical situations in the Pacific, but still providing a game that gives players a feeling of balance and challenge, regardless of which side they play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You may want to give the amended setup (found in the FAQ) a try. It makes for a much more balanced game, though still slightly in favor of Japan. Playing to 24 victory points rather than 22 balances things even more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.