Tobias Naesborg
Denmark
Lynge
flag msg tools
badge
Deadpool
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
Which expansions would be good to include, to fix “bugs” from the maingame without increasing playing time significant.
In a four player newbie game.
The Lost City
New Units
Tactical Fate Cards
Revealing Rune Tokens
Garrison Order Card
Guildmaster of Merchants
Desolating Tokens
Cryomancy Tokens
Optional Rules (Which)
      24 answers
Poll created by capecastle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
The only option from the expansion that I've found increases game time noticeably is the "Road to Victory" variant, although I think Road to Victory gives a more epic feel than even the original Epic rules do, so it's worth it in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Naesborg
Denmark
Lynge
flag msg tools
badge
Deadpool
mbmbmbmbmb
I like epic
What playing time should I expect with the "Road to Victory" variant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
capecastle wrote:
I like epic
What playing time should I expect with the "Road to Victory" variant?

I like Epic, too I just like Road to Victory a bit more!

I think Road to Victory takes just a little longer than Epic. (I would not recommend combining the two; I tried it once and it doesn't really add much to do so).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, you didn't put everything in (like Road to Victory), and some of these, like Desolation and Cryomancy, are tied to other modules.

When teaching newbies, here are my defaults for expansions options:

+ Road to Victory (essential. RAW makes the game too short, while Epic is the same game length as Road to Victory, just lamer)
+ Development Cards (adds some time, but needed to balance Harvest. Just tell players to not worry about their Dev Cards, and just pick one that synergizes with which resource they can spare when it's time to build one)
+ New cards everywhere
+ New cities
+ Guildmaster of Merchant (balances the titles better)

- NO new units
- NO Commanders
- NO flooded tokens (ever)
- Quests pertaining to Lost City and expansion tiles are less straightforward and longer to read; could leave out their respective tiles
- NO Garrison (adds to newbie's options, and it's often a red herring - i.e. newbies are scared and pick Garrison more than they should)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really think I am fully grasping the Lost City. I have glanced over the rules and just wasn't excited about them as much as a lot of the others. Am I missing something? Is there something super cool about the Lost City that I missed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mordus wrote:
I don't really think I am fully grasping the Lost City. I have glanced over the rules and just wasn't excited about them as much as a lot of the others. Am I missing something? Is there something super cool about the Lost City that I missed?

The Lost City itself isn't that special, other than it having special rules for when it is put into play (and the fact it has a Dragon Rune when it is in play). The thing about it that I like the most is that Tile #12 has several quests, so it becomes a good hub for questing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.