Subject: Gamers Against Cancer rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rod Waibel
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope this is an appropriate thread to post this in, but here goes...

OK, so brief background on why I started this project. A couple weeks ago, one of my friends died of cancer at 37 years old. He wasn't diagnosed until two months prior. That shit moved fast. Two weeks before that my friend and coworker died of cancer. She was in her 60s, but still. Two years ago another friend died of cancer at 32--and left behind a 2 year old daughter.

How in the fuck can we spend $3 BILLION dollars on a crappy rehash like Avatar, but we have no progress on curing cancer?

So I thought to myself, "What can I do to have the greatest impact?" I could donate money myself (which I have, and continue to do), but that seems like not very much. What if I could put together something that people would like to have that also raises money for cancer? So I did this.

Thanks to Ian MacLean for doing an awesome job on the artwork

All net profit from sales from t-shirts, hats, whatever are going to the American Cancer Society. Everything. I'm not out to make a penny on this. Shit, I'd kick my own ass for pulling a scam like that.

I know what you're thinking. "How do I know you're not just going to keep the money?" Well, I'd like to think I'm pretty transparent. This isn't the first time I've done something like this. A portion of profits from Compact Heroes goes to the Fisher House, so doing a project like this isn't something I've never done before.

So please, even if you can't directly support this cause, please spread the word, share on FB, etc. Let's see if we can raise a good amount.

http://www.zazzle.com/sacrosanctgames/gifts?cg=1960109835414...

All products can be found here. I hope it works for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert C Kalajian Jr
United States
Simsbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wrote up a quick post on Purple Pawn about this to help spread the word.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nice idea! I'm sure we've all been affected by cancer in some way and curing it would be a Very Good Thing.

That said I think it would be much more cost-effective to just donate money to an appropriate charity rather than "wasting" money on materials, shipping, etc. I don't know how much the merchandise actually costs, but surely it's better to give $20 or whatever straight to the charity rather than giving a portion of that to Zazzle?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Waibel
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're absolutely right, but I'd like to make two observations:

1) I think people are more willing to spend money if they get something in return, and personally I think it's a cool looking shirt to wear around

2) It serves as a reminder or motivator to raise awareness when otherwise there wouldn't be. It if gets someone to buy one, at least some of that is going to help charity, as opposed to if the person just never thought about donating before.

I know Zazzle keeps most of the money, and I think it would be awesome if they donated some of their profits too. But I can't control them and it's just something I have to live with. But if I can help raise a thousand or several thousand dollars from this? That's more than I could do by myself, so I consider it a win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nowak
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
You have paid retail for the last time.
badge
The human race, to which so many of my readers belong, has been playing at children's games from the beginning, and will probably do it till the end, which is a nuisance for the few people who grow up. - GKC
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you in the midwest? You should look up the Gaming Hoopla.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see some potential interplay between Games Against Cancer and the Jack Vasel Memorial Fund.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sacrosanct wrote:
I think people are more willing to spend money if they get something in return

Now that saddens and angers me. I'm pretty sure you're right.

But to me, anyone who would be willing to spend $20 on a shirt where say $5 went to charity (I'm pulling figures out of my ass) and $15 went to the shirt company but not willing $20 to donate to charity and NOT get a shirt is... well I can't think of a word for someone like that.

Seems I've overestimated the world again.

I agree that spreading awareness is a good thing though. And I don't mean to be a downer on your whole idea. I actually sell stuff for charity myself - I make knitted hedgehogs for hedgehog rescue charities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
We should begins some: "March of $3.50"; to assist those for whom were 'afflicted' with A-N-Y 'ailments' as well! whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.