Simon Skov
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the Quest Guide for Masquerade Ball, after stating the various way a player can attempt to open the doors, it says:

A player may attempt to open any door in this way only once per turn.

Or something like that, I haven't got the Quest Guide with me, and there's no pdf of it. If someone could post the exact wording I'd be grateful.

Suppose there are two doors, A and B. Does this mean:

1) Player may not attempt to open door A twice per turn.

or

2) In addition to 1), player may not attempt to open door A in the same turn he attempted to open door B.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say number 2 is the correct interpretation, though I'd have to take a look at the map to see if it would even matter. Barring special abilities, the only way I can think number 2 would ever come up is if you pass the check on the first door, then fatigue-moved to the second and attempted that check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Skov
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It did matter when we played it last night, but mostly for the Overlord, who played Dash a couple of times to get through two doors in one turn. I was a proponent of interpretation 2, but, alas, was overruled yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
nom_ wrote:
It did matter when we played it last night, but mostly for the Overlord, who played Dash a couple of times to get through two doors in one turn. I was a proponent of interpretation 2, but, alas, was overruled yuk

Speaking as an Overlord, I favor interpretation 2 as well. This quest is already silly-easy for the OL when he has the passwords. He doesn't need to be playing Dash to get through multiple doors per turn on top of that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, I can't understand what the purpose of the rule would be under interpretation 1. What imbalance does it resolve? Whereas with interpretation 2 it clearly acts as a check to stop the OL from speeding through the map too quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
nom_ wrote:

I may be mistaken about this, but I don't believe he should have been able to play Dash twice in one turn on the same target (I assume he played them both on Eliza). Even then, one Dash may be enough to get from one door to another (again, I'd have to look at the map). I'd say he shouldn't have been able to do the door check twice in one turn, regardless of whether it was on different doors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Skov
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I don't know if it would be legal to play dash twice on the same figure in the same turn, but that's not what he did. Here's what happened:
Lady Elyza is next to a door at the start of OL turn. OL plays Dash. Elyza's first action is to attempt to open the door. Success. Dash lets her move to the next door, and attempt to open that with the second action.

Using Dark Fortune, the OL only failed a single door, and that was after he had already gotten through a door that turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R N
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If each door can only be attempted once per turn and figures can attempt several doors, then this makes the encounter more difficult for the heroes by potentially blocking all the heroes on a single failed open attempt.

If each figure can only attempt to open a door once per turn and doors can be attempted several times, then this makes the encounter less difficult for the heroes by limiting how far Eliza can move in a turn.

I have played this encounter about four times, and my feeling is that the later rule makes for a more balanced encounter. It would be nice if you quoted actual encounter text since this would probably clarify how it should be played. I know I have been playing using the later rule except for the one time I forgot about the rule entirely...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Foale
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
nom_ wrote:
Oh, I don't know if it would be legal to play dash twice on the same figure in the same turn

I'm pretty sure it's not legal - don't the rules state that you can't play the same card more than once in response to the same triggering event? In this case the triggering event is "when activating a monster".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.