Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Jensen
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just pondering on how the official tournament setup might work out. From the reports at GenCon it sounds like you field your force and it doesn't matter if the opponent is the same side you do battle. For a game based on such thematic presence, doesn't this just seem off? Particularly with concerns over TIE vs. TIE showdowns.....

So that made me think. Back in Decipher's SWCCG game a player was required to bring both a Light Side and Dark Side deck. You would alternate between the sides during the tournament and keep a running score to determine rankings. You could end up playing people twice in the same tournament, albeit with the different side. It made for a fun and agonizing realization when you had a great Light Side deck but you couldn't figure out the Dark Side. It made it so much more Star Wars compared to having Stormtroopers fight Stormtroopers.

Could that same pattern be followed for X-Wing Tournaments? This positives would be keeping a competitive nature and avoiding a mirror-match of the same forces fighting. Negatives would be the increased cost in fielding two competitive forces and the necessity of running even numbered rounds to insure players play both sides equally. From my biased SWCCG background, I think that option would be a hoot.

What say you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Smith
United Kingdom
Gillingham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's certainly what I would prefer and works for the UK LOTR competition and we still don't play the same person twice, you just alternate playing either side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TrekkerMJ wrote:
Just pondering on how the official tournament setup might work out. From the reports at GenCon it sounds like you field your force and it doesn't matter if the opponent is the same side you do battle.

FFG has posted the Tournament Rules PDF on their website (under "The Things You'll See"). The mirror match-ups are very much part of the rules.

I think I prefer the mirror match-up for three reasons:

(1) Cost: It's pretty expensive to build a tournament-level 100pt force for each side. Players can get a tourney level Rebel force for only $45 as it currently stands. Additionally, lost of players like me are probably planning on sharing their stuff with friends. For instance, a friend and I have each bought into this game and we pool our ships to make our squads. At tournaments, I fully intend to let him borrow my Empire stuff and I'll borrow his Rebel stuff. This helps keep the game accessible and affordable for more people to participate.

(2) Space: Bringing and carrying around two 60-card decks is a lot easier than porting around ~11 Fighters all tournament.

(3) Balance: I actually suspect that the potential for a Imperial vs. Imperial match-up will be something that adds alternatives to squad building decisions. 8x Academy Pilot is probably going to be pretty boss against most Rebel builds, but it will be nearly ineffective against Imperial builds. Having to build with this in mind might help keep some variability and options open in the squads that are faced. Additionally, Proton Torpedoes are so-so against Imperial but will likely be more powerful against Rebel targets. So these extra decisions might add more depth and decisions to tournament squad-building.

Of course, the danger is that this game was designed and primarily balanced for Rebel vs. Imperial squads, and issues might come up in mirror matches. But, if everyone has to play potential mirror matches, then I suppose the field is still level and people can build to that possible match-up as they see fit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Eding
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RogueThirteen wrote:

(1) Cost: It's pretty expensive to build a tournament-level 100pt force for each side. Players can get a tourney level Rebel force for only $45 as it currently stands. Additionally, lost of players like me are probably planning on sharing their stuff with friends. For instance, a friend and I have each bought into this game and we pool our ships to make our squads. At tournaments, I fully intend to let him borrow my Empire stuff and I'll borrow his Rebel stuff. This helps keep the game accessible and affordable for more people to participate.

Also, this game has taken some flak on cost. The perceived expense is high for many loud internet users, and we've seen enough complaints about it.

If there was a requirement to bring 2 different squads to a tourney, the outcry would be louder still...

Don't most people who play in tournaments tend to invest a lot into the games they play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Eding
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I cannot wait to get into a tournament scene. I bought enough that I can flexibly field 2 100 point squads. I know, also, that I am incredibly blessed in the ability to have purchased this much of the game. I don't expect everyone to throw as much money at the game as I did, but I also know there will be plenty who did that and more.

I spent as much as I did so I could host some X-wing gaming and that way my friends who want to play don't have to spend anything on it. I bought what I did so I could play with them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john roberts
United States
georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
RogueThirteen wrote:

(3) Balance: I actually suspect that the potential for a Imperial vs. Imperial match-up will be something that adds alternatives to squad building decisions. 8x Academy Pilot is probably going to be pretty boss against most Rebel builds, but it will be nearly ineffective against Imperial builds. Having to build with this in mind might help keep some variability and options open in the squads that are faced. Additionally, Proton Torpedoes are so-so against Imperial but will likely be more powerful against Rebel targets. So these extra decisions might add more depth and decisions to tournament squad-building.

I hadn't thought of this point. Thanks RogueThirteen!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.