Olee Bass
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Star Wars: X-Wing Miniature Game Battle Report.

I recently saw, and promptly fell in love with the X-Wing Miniatures game. Everything from the detail and quality of the models to the promises of intense tactical dogfighting action on the back of the box compelled me to grab a copy.

The 'Core Set' is available from £30-£25, depending on where you shop and contains enough stuff to get you and a friend playing it right out of the box. A lovely touch is the use of quick-play rules, simple to follow and easy to grasp as you pit a single X-Wing versus a pair of TIE Fighters. Dyson also bought himself Darth Vader's TIE Advanced, but thankfully he decided to play fair, leaving the Sith Lord to grouchily watch the battle unfold outside of his plastic prison.

Upon setting up the game and punching out the many textured cardboard markers and organising the character cards, we decided to jump right into the action with the quick-play rules. Both of us had already declared our allegiances; Dyson took command of the Imperial fighters and I chose to guide the Rebellion to victory.

I bring to you a battle of beginners:

The Hounds in the Dark

[Intro]The rookie pilot didn't quite know what to make of the readings on his HUD. The two red dots blinked ominously as the on board computer confirmed their identity. By the time the system informed him that the dots were in fact Imperial TIE Fighters, he could already see for himself. They were far, but closing.

He couldn't run. That would draw them to the Rebel base on the planet below. Hyperspace wasn't an option either, his X-Wing was undergoing a sequential refit. His superior officer had deemed that his craft was spaceworthy, and more than able to carry out a routine sweep. With no R2, no missiles, and no escape; the rookie was in for the fight of his life.

[Turn 1] The TIE Fighters advanced from each side. The rookie picked his target; one of the Imperial craft seemed to be the lead – perhaps destroying him would rout the other. It was a faint hope, but it was the only one he had. His X-wing listed lazily to the left to meet his chosen target. A quick glance at the HUD confirmed that no weapons were in range.

[Turn 2] The leading TIE swept towards the rookie, but the Rebel pilot had predicted the move and swung his X-wing around catching the TIE side-on in his sights. The other fighter seemed a distant problem as the young pilot squeezed the trigger. Two laser bolts struck their target, gouging the TIE fighter with molten scars.

[Turn 3] Realizing that a counter attack was imminent, the rookie flew at full speed ahead, hoping to escape the wrath of the Imperials. To his dismay, both TIE pilots compensated for the reckless move, and his X-Wing shook violently as the entire shield system of his craft failed. In the midst of the storm of warning lights and sirens, the rookie still managed to evade the second volley of fire.

[Turn 4] As he swung the X-wing around, the HUD reminded him that he was no longer protected by his shield generator. He tried to not let the thought cloud his judgement, as one of the Imperial fighters flew into range. The rookie winced as the barrage of laser bolts went wide.

[Turn 5] As he steered the craft round, he was greeted with nothing but space. The scanners showed the two red blips were both behind him. Suddenly the space around him was alive with green bolts, all of which he managed to evade, until a new siren joined in the chorus of warning chimes as the ship jolted. One of the Imperials had scored another hit. “Hold together...” the rookie mumbled to his craft.

[Turn 6] The TIE Fighters were in too close, so he attempted once more to fly straight out of their killbox, in order to re-engage, but his manoeuvre was denied by an almost-sucical move from the scarred Imperial. As the fighter flew past, he opened fire. One of the shots punched through the ship's engine. A few seconds later, the TIE Fighter erupted into a ball of fire. It was then the rookie noticed the targeting indicator on his HUD. Moments later, he and his X-Wing, were no more.

So, there we go. An Imperial victory. Dyson (And packaged Darth Vader) both seemed pretty pleased with the outcome. I swore revenge on the spot.

In all seriousness, even with the starter rules, this was an amazingly fun and tense experience and I can't wait to have another epic space battle. I'll make sure to take a few photos, and let me know if you think I should change my battle report format.

Thanks for reading!

Olee

(Edit: fixed a couple of typos.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olee Bass
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks! Hoping to do some more. Got a Core set for myself and couple of Y-Wings. Love those things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.