Strat-O-Matic Baseball» Forums » General

Subject: RL: WP - Earned Run/PB-Unearned Run? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been a while since I followed baseball and want to make sure my memory isn't completely shot.

If a runner scores on a wild pitch, it's the pitcher's own fault and he is charged with an earned run; but, the catcher is beyond his control and the run is unearned. All correct?

All of this assumes that no hit ensues that would have scored the run anyway.

The same is true if a runner advances to a base from which a hit would not have scored him without the WP/PB; also correct?

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Roney
United States
Ladera Ranch
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that is correct. PB is just like a throwing error that lets runners advance, while a wild pitch ends up being like a stolen base.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hymowitz
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
apatheticexecutioner wrote:
If a runner scores on a wild pitch, it's the pitcher's own fault and he is charged with an earned run; but, the catcher is beyond his control and the run is unearned. All correct?

I think you left out a word or two, but yes -- WP, pitchher's fault, earned run; PB, catcher's fault, unearned run.

apatheticexecutioner wrote:
All of this assumes that no hit ensues that would have scored the run anyway.

The same is true if a runner advances to a base from which a hit would not have scored him without the WP/PB; also correct?

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/official_rules/official...

scroll down to 10.16

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earned_run#Unearned_run

For example, with two outs, a runner on third base scores on a passed ball. For the time being, the run is unearned since the runner should still be at third. If the batter strikes out to end the inning, it will stay that way. If the batter gets a base hit, which would have scored the runner anyway, the run now becomes earned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.