Subject: Games with the "Chaos Factor"? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dean Hunt
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
Cosmic Encounters is one of my fav games, I also enjoy Dominion once things like Council Room and Kings Court are included.

Space Alert is next on my purchase list.

The common theme, especially between C/Encounters and Space Alert is the chaos factor... so this begs the question, what other great games are out there that have a chaotic element to them?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Hunt
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
I should add, "The Resistance" is another game I really enjoy... it certainly has some chaotic elements to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Faidutti designed games often contain predominant "chaos factors."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Hunt
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
I played Citadels, to be fair I only played it once, but found it very boring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chaos in the Old World is heavy on the chaos factor.

Seriously though, I'd recommend:

-Space Alert (which you are already planning on buying)

-Galaxy Trucker

-Ca$h 'n Gun$ - this one gets really crazy with 6 people and using the special powers

-JAB: Realtime Boxing

-Battlestar Galactica

-Wings of War (hidden preplanned movement gets crazy)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
RoboRally
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if there's another game like CE in terms of chaos, or better: riding the chaos. Another thing specific of CE is that chaos is controlled by negotiation element between players and there's a hefty dose of bluffing.

When it comes to "pure chaos" there are 2 games which are pure rides with no or minimal control and fun comes purely by laughing at misfortunes of yourselves and others (you're not really that involved). No actual interaction and in both games I found that winning is not important at all (as opposed to CE where it drives your game):
Galaxy Trucker - put together a space ship (real time) and watch it fall apart
Tales of Arabian Nights - read paragraphs adventure with no control whatsoever. See as your character looses a leg, gets married and changes sex... not necessary in that order.

But given your love for the resistance it seems to me, that you might instead want games which feature heavy interaction - bluffing, double think, etc.

If you like bluffing part of Cosmic Encounter, you might want to check Citadels and similar games of role selection + take that. Citadels is the most chaotic - dramatic twists. My favorite is Havana which is a bit more controlled, but more directionally confrontational.

what else?
Aye Dark Overlord is pure silliness with a mean streak - a light roleplaying card game.

and of course many many cards games have both elements of chaos (cards you've been given) and interaction, which both lead to double-think. Given that CE is rather unique, but as I love it, I'll keep my eye out on some good suggestions in this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Hunt
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
Many thanks all.

BSG has been on my "need to buy" list for a while.

It looks like I should really consider Galaxy Trucker too.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
"...to excel above the common rate, in frivolous things, is nothing graceful in a man of quality and honor." - Michel de Montaigne
badge
Let's just play everything always.
mbmbmbmbmb
Innovation!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Petz! When your creatures start trying to escape and morph into other dimensions, the chaos level is high. It's perfectly thematic for a game involving raising monsters as pets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Athos
United States
Milwaukee
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anything by Games Workshop. Do you see what I did there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Innovation and glory to Rome both have a certain kind of chaos... The chaos of unpredictable and crazy combinations. In both games, you will frequently end a session thinking "wow, that combo is so broken!" but since there are so many broken combos, you come to realize they all sort of self-balance.

Fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Big time Cosmic Encounter fan here, it's my favorite game. My next two favorite that I love for similar reasons that I won't be articulating here because I'd go on all day about how awesome they are but these are my recommendations to help a fellow Cosmicer out with his quest for a game with the same appeal:

* Battlestar Galactica

* Chaos in the Old World with the Horned Rat Expansion (the base game is great, but the expansion gives it more of the Chaos factor you speak of)

These not only have the chaos factor, and the sudden dramatic climactic moves factor, but the super high player interaction factor from Cosmic as well.

Also the above recommendation of Galaxy Trucker may work for you -- it's not fully my style personally but it has the Chaos Factor (but lacks the super high Player-Interaction factor of Cosmic) and one of the other biggest Cosmic fans I know can't get enough of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Survive: Escape from Atlantis!. With the random placement of the titles and dice rolling, you never really know what's coming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.