Subject: Is spells considered range? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do spells (like lightning) get benefits from cards that give +1 ranged?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that card specifically depicts (via iconography) the type as lightening. The Range icon (Green background with the arrow in it) would need to be present, imo.

This is not official; just my take...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I know, all attack spells are ranged, as they have the ranged icon in addition to their damage type icon. This even applies to zone target attack spells which have a casting range of 0-0.

Thus, they would benefit from a +X range trait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Hjelme
Norway
Arendal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Range +X does not apply to zone attacks.

-Morten
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless you can cite some authority for your argument, I don't see why not. Even zone attack spells have the ranged trait icon, and therefore should benefit from the caster having the range +X trait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Bernard
United States
Lansdale
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MDJD wrote:
Unless you can cite some authority for your argument, I don't see why not. Even zone attack spells have the ranged trait icon, and therefore should benefit from the caster having the range +X trait.

http://www.magewars.com/jsite/forum/rules-notes-and-clarific...

"The Ranged +X should say: This creature gains + X attack dice when it makes a ranged attack. Has no effect on zone attacks. Does not grant a ranged attack if this creature does not have one. If the attack makes multiple attacks against the same or different objects, it gains this bonus only for the first attack it makes."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for pointing that out. I was unaware that this had been addressed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, after all this, is the final determination that spells do benefit from + range?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Kidd
United States
Thomasville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, attack spells do benefit from Ranged +X. Anytime you see an attack bar with the green arrow "Ranged" symbol on it, except for those that also include the "Zone Attack" symbol, will benefit from the Ranged +X trait.

Note: The gray attack bar is different from the gold special action bar. Special actions only count as attacks if it specifically says so, such as the Wizard's "Arcane Zap." In those cases it would also gain the benefits of Ranged +X. Other special actions, such as the Asyran Cleric's "Healing Light," do not count as attacks. Therefore you can not give the Cleric Ranged +X to increase his healing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.