Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Damaged Hanger and Use of Command Action rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Travis Grasser
United States
California
flag msg tools
Is it possible to launch Vipers from Command while the Hanger is damaged?

After digging through the core rule book and FAQ from FFG, I don't see anything stating that the action isn't allowed but it seems a bit odd since you end up with a thematic break where the best pilots can't launch but the scrubs can still be sent out. Apollo would be the only exception since he has the ability to Hijack NPC Vipers.

Am I just missing something here or is this loophole intended?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A damaged area just means the action from that space cannot be used. So Command can still send out vipers if the Hangar is damaged, but players cannot get out.

And likewise, if the Hangar was fine and Command was damaged, then pilots could go as normal, but no one could send out unmanned vipers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it's just one of those things you can't think too logically about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
The hangar deck isn't damaged, the main pilot characters are just dealing with their issues again. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mooseulie Ferenczy
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Special note, Apollo's AVP doesn't care if the Hangar Deck is damaged for him to launch. So if someone activates command to launch a viper while the Hangar is damage, Apollo can still go out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Grasser
United States
California
flag msg tools
DoomTurtle wrote:
A damaged area just means the action from that space cannot be used. So Command can still send out vipers if the Hangar is damaged, but players cannot get out.

And likewise, if the Hangar was fine and Command was damaged, then pilots could go as normal, but no one could send out unmanned vipers.

Right, mechanically it makes sense but from a Theme standpoint it's pretty odd. Your second example makes more sense theme-wise since not being able to use the radio to order people around when it's busted seems logical.

Obviously this could be a balance versus theme issue but it seems that it deserves to be mentioned just to clarify the disconnect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Grasser
United States
California
flag msg tools
j0frenzy wrote:
Special note, Apollo's AVP doesn't care if the Hangar Deck is damaged for him to launch. So if someone activates command to launch a viper while the Hangar is damage, Apollo can still go out.

Right, that's what I meant, in that he was the only "good" pilot that could still get out to space when the Hanger is busted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Grasser
United States
California
flag msg tools
Anyway, thanks for clarifying this, it's good to get a second opinion on this kind of thing since I'm normally the rules authority in my group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's your thematic interpretation. When the Hangar Deck is damaged, it's really just the door between where the hotshot Viper/Raptor pilots hang out and where the nuggets hang out that's damaged. Since the hotshots have to go through the nugget hangout to get to the Vipers, they can't launch, but the nuggets can.

Apollo can circumvent the damaged door by actually throwing himself out a nearby airlock and commandeering a Viper that's already being piloted by a nugget.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Grasser
United States
California
flag msg tools
Dexter345 wrote:
Here's your thematic interpretation. When the Hangar Deck is damaged, it's really just the door between where the hotshot Viper/Raptor pilots hang out and where the nuggets hang out that's damaged. Since the hotshots have to go through the nugget hangout to get to the Vipers, they can't launch, but the nuggets can.

Apollo can circumvent the damaged door by actually throwing himself out a nearby airlock and commandeering a Viper that's already being piloted by a nugget.

Haha, nice! Although isn't Pegasus the only Battlestar with an Airlock?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is probably the most serious unintuitive issue in the game though. I once had a Cylon argue with me, utterly convinced it says somewhere in the rulebook that Command isn't usable once Hangar Deck is damaged. I had to pull it out and disprove him, but really, once the rulebook comes out, nobody wins
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Grasser
United States
California
flag msg tools
selwyth wrote:
This is probably the most serious unintuitive issue in the game though. I once had a Cylon argue with me, utterly convinced it says somewhere in the rulebook that Command isn't usable once Hangar Deck is damaged. I had to pull it out and disprove him, but really, once the rulebook comes out, nobody wins

Yeah, we tend to run into some issues when something like this comes up in a theme heavy game, so being able to preempt it the next time we play will be good for keeping the session on track.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't think of it as launching new Vipers on patrol; think of it as calling in the patrolling Vipers from wherever it is the civilians hang out when they're not getting shot at...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tsgrasser wrote:

After digging through the core rule book and FAQ from FFG, I don't see anything stating that the action isn't allowed but it seems a bit odd since you end up with a thematic break where the best pilots can't launch but the scrubs can still be sent out. Apollo would be the only exception since he has the ability to Hijack NPC Vipers.

It's been said before, and gonna be said again.... The game's thematic, but not THAT thematic. Many things are abstracted for simplicity's sake.

There are other cases like this...
Some1 asked and thought that if FTL Control was damaged, humans shouldn't be ale to Auto-Jump

Characters like Roslin, Zarek, and Baltar have no expertise in Repairing vipers, yet, thy can still play Repair cards to do so. Some have argued that they're not the ones doing it. They have other ppl who know how to fix vipers do it for them. Fine.. Fair enough. But then I could counter-argue that Roslin could've done a repair from President's office by picking up a hard line and ordering some1 to make the repairs. She doesn't need to benin the hangar Decl looking over the shoulder Of some maintaince guy

If all Raptors are destroyed, then downed pilots should be executed, since in the show, the pilots of shot down vipers were rescued by Raptr teams.

In Peg, Adama cant use Admirals Quarters, but can use Airlock just fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Grasser
United States
California
flag msg tools
ackmondual wrote:
tsgrasser wrote:

It's been said before, and gonna be said again.... The game's thematic, but not THAT thematic. Many things are abstracted for simplicity's sake.

There are other cases like this...
Some1 asked and thought that if FTL Control was damaged, humans shouldn't be ale to Auto-Jump

Characters like Roslin, Zarek, and Baltar have no expertise in Repairing vipers, yet, thy can still play Repair cards to do so. Some have argued that they're not the ones doing it. They have other ppl who know how to fix vipers do it for them. Fine.. Fair enough. But then I could counter-argue that Roslin could've done a repair from President's office by picking up a hard line and ordering some1 to make the repairs. She doesn't need to benin the hangar Decl looking over the shoulder Of some maintaince guy

If all Raptors are destroyed, then downed pilots should be executed, since in the show, the pilots of shot down vipers were rescued by Raptr teams.

In Peg, Adama cant use Admirals Quarters, but can use Airlock just fine.

Valid points, but that still doesn't excuse a break from theme and function, at least not in all cases.

Things like Adama and the airlock should probably have been handled with errata or directly on the board like the change to Jumps on Crisis played from caprica with the overlay, as it not only breaks the theme but also breaks the mechanics to a certain degree since it partially circumvents his limitation. Obviously this is my opinion on that particular issue and maybe they let him have the ability based on thorough testing, I really don't know.

With that in mind, I think a similar case can be made for damage to the Hanger since it allows for loopholes in what would otherwise be a major road block to humans when it occurs. Again testing may have shown it to be too crippling.

The FTL issue has been specifically addressed in the FAQ, so it is what is, a balance issue. The other issues you point out at least fit within the context of the abstraction, so the fact that they don't fit quiet right thematically doesn't really seem like an issue. The rub really just comes when the specific mechanics and the theme applied directly to them become inconsistent.

I don't think these are game breaking issues by any means but it does seem a bit like short cuts in design or at the very least in documentation since it isn't mentioned there. Given the number of play testers listed, I'm sure they had to have dealt with some of this before going to print.

And just to be clear, I am nit picking here, I do think the game as a whole is great, which just means that the minor flaws stick out a bit more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about "Hangar Deck is BIG!"

Hangar Deck Damaged means: The area around YOUR squadron is shot up. Around their squadron, not so much. Apollo's AVP just means he's sitting in the bird at the tube, that's what "Alert" means. (That and "Ready 5"). And or he hops the damaged rail and pulls the noob out by his neck tabs, jumps in and zooms off.

Command gets shot up, they can't tell the hangar deck to launch, nor commo with the birds in the air with new orders. But pilots on the Hangar Deck can still launch if they so decide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.