• [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's definitely football. You can tell because the players mostly control the ball with their feet. Unlike what you lot call football, where the players mostly control a non-ball shaped object with their hands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmbmb
col_w wrote:
...football...football...

You keep using that word...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm saving all my sleep for another life
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Spoon!
badge
Well, once again we find that clowning and anarchy don't mix.
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally! God has sent one of his many tornadoes to join the fight against the unholy game of soccer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I may be a bit hazy on the subject, but I seem to recall reading that Ben Franklin first called our game "football" at the Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia in 1776, shortly after a brief skirmish with the British.

The NFL was formed two years later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
When I go to England, I'll be sure to call soccer football, fries crisps, and cookies biscuits. Until then, though, I'm going to keep using the language I've used my entire life, thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
That looks a lot like soccer. whistle

That's OK, as that's not a tornado either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
col_w wrote:
That's definitely football. You can tell because the players mostly control the ball with their feet. Unlike what you lot call football, where the players mostly control a non-ball shaped object with their hands.

So you're telling me there's a British game where the players control the ball with crickets?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
When I go to England, I'll be sure to call soccer football, fries crisps, and cookies biscuits. Until then, though, I'm going to keep using the language I've used my entire life, thanks.

But you can call fries chips now. You just have to order them with fish
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
fries crisps

Actually, you would be calling fries chips. Here in Australia we use "chips" interchangably to mean both fries and crisps. I think fries are a very different thing to crisps.

This sort of "that's not football, this is football" debate happens all the time in Australia, where there are 4 genuinely popular sports that all share the term "football" : Soccer, Australian Rules Football, Rugby and Rugby League. The soccer zealots seem to have some sort of self-righteous belief that they are right, whereas everyone else just calls their football "footy" and gets on with their lives.

The "soccer is the game that is played with the foot" argument is not exactly accurate either. It should be the game that is played with any part of the body apart from the arms from the elbows down. Unless you're a goalie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GMOFreePortland.com
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
ii desu. It is good.
badge
No, I have no idea.
mbmbmbmbmb
Replacement refs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kruczek
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Which is why spellcasting is now banned by FIFA.

And ALL versions of football are so called because they are played on foot, as opposed to on horseback.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Thank you QI
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:
col_w wrote:

So you're telling me there's a British game where the players control the ball with crickets?

Pretty much...

Quote:
In the earliest definite reference to the sport in 1598, it is called creckett. Given the strong medieval trade connections between south-east England and the County of Flanders when the latter belonged to the Duchy of Burgundy, the name may have been derived from the Middle Dutch krick(-e), meaning a stick (crook); or the Old English cricc or cryce meaning a crutch or staff. In Old French, the word criquet seems to have meant a kind of club or stick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Orangemoose wrote:
I may be a bit hazy on the subject, but I seem to recall reading that Ben Franklin first called our game "football" at the Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia in 1776, shortly after a brief skirmish with the British.

The NFL was formed two years later.

Yes, you're definitely a bit hazy on the subject.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
Ewing
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Christmas Card Exchange: 2009 - 2014
badge
I play at EPGS on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month and if you live in Eastern PA, Western NJ or Northern DE ... you should too!
mbmbmbmbmb
How to make football interesting?

I was thinking snipers and landmines ...

... but tornados would do it too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Organized Teams of Girls played 'Soccer' too, so: "just saying!..." whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpl. Fields
South Africa
Hopelessly Surrounded
Isandlwana, Zululand
flag msg tools
<insert something pithy here>
badge
<insert something clever here>
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:

When I went through passport control in Helsinki last spring, I had this conversation with the officer:

Q. What is your destination?

A. Barcelona.

Q. What is the purpose of your trip?

A. Soccer.

Q. We call it football here.

A. Football, sorry.

Q. That's all right. Enjoy your stay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tsar Count
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
col_w wrote:

Well it's your fault, if you hadn't called a game Rugby Football, we wouldn't have had to shorten the name by dropping Rugby when we made it better
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
droberts441 wrote:
col_w wrote:

Well it's your fault, if you hadn't called a game Rugby Football, we wouldn't have had to shorten the name by dropping Rugby when we made it better

How is it improving Rugby by allowing a forward pass and a mini-conference after every tackle?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Britten
United Kingdom
Newark
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
col_w wrote:

:p

Well yes, but calling it HandEgg would just be ludicrous...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patroclus
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Niko wrote:
droberts441 wrote:
col_w wrote:

How is it improving Rugby by allowing a forward pass and a mini-conference after every tackle?

haha! I actually find Rugby more entertaining than american football. I never enjoyed american football - they stretch a 1 hour game to 3 hours and I find the gameplay boring...and this is coming from a baseball fan!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tsar Count
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Niko wrote:
droberts441 wrote:
col_w wrote:

How is it improving Rugby by allowing a forward pass
Exactly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's another one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Yeah, as they were probably 'disappointed' that THIS "dust devil" didn't sprout 'tentacles' and DRAPE those with`em! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.