7 Posts

Space Hulk (third edition)» Forums » Variants

Subject: Balancing rules + other variants rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kalle Skalle
msg tools
Hejsan,

We had previously played the conversion rule so that you can convert a blip and then move the individual gene stealers the same turn. Then we realised that we had made a mistake and that converting a blip took the full turn and that the resulting gene stealers could not move that turn.

This mad missions like Cleanse and Burn very difficult for the gene stealer player as they loose alot of momentum. I suppose this could partially be fixed with adding a few extra blips from the beginning. However, that fact that an unconverted blip is no real immediate threat means that there will be situations where you can largely ignor them and this does not feel right.

I fix here could be that if you convert a 3 blip you can sacrafice two stealers and be allowed to move the third blip straight away. This means the marines always have to treat all blips as threats.

Another idea is that you could be allowed to move blips into LoS, convert the blio according to involontary conversion rules and then not be allowed to move any of the resulting stealers. This would enable the stealer player to move more quickly (may not be neccessary for all scenarios though)

Other tule variants that I have been thinking of that I did not find with a quick glance at the threads below were:

Marine blips. Instead of revealing which marine is which the marines are only revealed when performing an action specific to a specific character (eg fire a flamer) or if a stesler can draw LoS to the marine.

Chaos marines. Construct scenarios where the stealer platyer has a marine or two on its side to get some marine on marine action (sounds a bit kinky doesn't it?).

Any reflections or experience from similar ideas would be greatly appreciated.
cheers
Karl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KHE73 wrote:
We had previously played the conversion rule so that you can convert a blip and then move the individual gene stealers the same turn. Then we realised that we had made a mistake and that converting a blip took the full turn and that the resulting gene stealers could not move that turn.

This is only true if you convert a blip after it has already been activated. If you convert the blip before you activate it, you can activate the Genestealers as normal.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kalle Skalle
msg tools
Thanks for this. I now saw in the rule book that it was quite clearly stated on page 17.

One other thing that came up in the latest game was whether or not a marine could fire on a diagonal square directly in front if both the front square and the squares to the side are blocked (front by wall and side squares by models) We ruled that it could fire since we did not find anything in the rule book that said that it couldn't (as far as we saw it only states that movement is forbidden in such a case)

The more I think about it though I wonder if we did it correctly? In the example above it seems OK to fire but if both the front square and the side squares had been occupied by walls (I know ... now I'm moving in hypothetical space as no board looks like this) then I would intuetively say that you cannot fire.

Any advice on how to play it (or where it is stated in the rules)?

cheers
Karl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't trace LOS diagonally if the corner squares are blocked. For example:

5blankblankblank5
Mblankblankblankblank
5blankOblank5
55G55

M is a marine, G is a genestealer, and O is any other blocking item (like another figure). The Marine cannot see the Genestealer because the wall and the O is blocking LOS diagonally.

Does that help?

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kalle Skalle
msg tools
Seems directly applicable (the only difference is that the the gene stealer was adjacent to the marine ... the marine had a wall directly in front at 12 o clock, a marinebuddy adjecent at 3 o clock and the stealer adjacent at half past one ... that even confused me :-).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So like this?

5Gblankblank5
MOblankblankblank
5blankblankblank5
55blank55

Where O is the marine buddy. The marine does not have LOS to the genestealer.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kalle Skalle
msg tools
Exactly so ... thanks for the clear response

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.