Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
david funch
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
Answer here or there, I'll be checking both. Thanks.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekforum.php3?action=viewthrea...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert .
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Quote:
Do you still play with the printed rules of no cube of any given color can be on a card more than twice?

Correct, follow the rules here, so in otherwords, on one card there may not be 3 green cubes.. Don't feel bad, we made the mistake of playing dozens of games with improper rules. The rules in Balloon Cup are poorly written and rather confusing. I love the game, but it needs a second edition with better rules.

Also consider the variant where you cannot play on your opponents side until your side is full. I've read this is a much better variant, but i've yet to try it. Balloon Cup was a flash in the pan around here, after a feverish 50-60 games, we've not had it out in 2 months.

I hope to bring it out this winter for some play with the right rules and better variants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Also consider the variant where you cannot play on your opponents side until your side is full. I've read this is a much better variant, but i've yet to try it.

We switched and play with Stephen's original rule for this as well. However, we still play with the rule of the 3 for 1 trade. Without it we felt it caused the end game to become a race to pulling the right card in the draw as we fought over the last set of cubes. I'd rather have the game end in a cascade than a draw cards-fest.

Note that if you play on your opponents side of the hop before completing yours, it make flipping the hop tile somewhat of a non-issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david funch
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
Also consider the variant where you cannot play on your opponents side until your side is full. I've read this is a much better variant, but i've yet to try it.

Yeah, before I even got the game I thought that's how it was played. When I read the rules when I opened the box I was like, "WTF is this!?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kobra1 wrote:

Also consider the variant where you cannot play on your opponents side until your side is full. I've read this is a much better variant, but i've yet to try it. Balloon Cup was a flash in the pan around here, after a feverish 50-60 games, we've not had it out in 2 months.

It's not even a variant as much as the way the designer (Stephen Glenn) intended it to be in the first place!

Also, in the original rules, you can't exchange cubes, which leads to more competition, something I think is a good thing.

There are occaisonal cases (or maybe more than occaisonal) of game publishers who change the original rules for the worse. Elfenland is one example of this (the "draw to eight" rule leads to people being able to do less on their turn, and less point in long-term planning, and was not the original rule by Alan Moon). Sometimes changes are for the better, sometimes not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.