Subject: Is this game a must have? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
the bear
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really want this game, but now it's number 5, and i'm getting the feeling I'm missing something. Is this really a gem? And why? I had the same feeling with 7 wonders, which I eventually bought and really liked. Don't really know what I'm asking.. Maybe I should delete this post.. or maybe someone understands what i'm talking about.. it's worth a shot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gleb Semenjuk
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a good game but you don't have to feel pressure because it's high in the rankings on BGG. If you've read the positive and negative reviews and still feel that you don't want this game because the theme or something bugs you, buy something you do want instead.

Don't succumb to the 'cult of the new'.

Maus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moritz Akellos
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thebearthatwasnt wrote:
I don't really want this game, but now it's number 5, and i'm getting the feeling I'm missing something. Is this really a gem? And why? I had the same feeling with 7 wonders, which I eventually bought and really liked. Don't really know what I'm asking.. Maybe I should delete this post.. or maybe someone understands what i'm talking about.. it's worth a shot
I don't think there's any such thing as a universal "must-have." That being said, it is (at least for me) an extremely good game, probably one of the 2 best in my collection (along with Agricola). In my opinion, if you can answer "yes" to a large majority (if not all) of the following questions, you should attempt to get a copy of this game:
* Do you like games that take 2-3 hours?
* Do you like resource management?
* Do you like space exploration?
* Do you like player-vs-player combat?
* Do you like strategic planning that still relies on dice rolls to succeed?
* Do you have friends that like these same things?
* Do you have a large (preferably round) table at which to play it?
* Do you have US$100 spending money available, and you you want to sink that into a single game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Conser
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, go get this game any serious BG must have this game in their collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Macleod
United States
Pearland
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You ask a tough question.

I believe that not all games are created for everyone. Even the very best. As for purchasing Eclipse, my advice depends on what kind of games you like and what kind of games those around you like to play. While I consider Eclipse an easy and straight forward game to play, it does come with a learning curve that can be challenging if not approached wisely.

I consider this game a must play. And, I make every effort to teach/share it with those around me that I feel will appreciate the beauty of its design/theme.

I scanned your list of games, but you didn't have enough information for me to provide you a more solid response. I saw that you had Dominant Species and Puerto Rico listed but you didn't have any comments or rankings associated with these games. I was trying to gauge if you had an appreciation or preference for some of the mechanics that may be shared by Eclipse. That said, I was somewhat alarmed to see your group struggled at first to learn Dungeon Petz. If that was an experience bordering on negative then I would hold off from buying Eclipse until you had a chance to play someone else's copy.

Or, wait for the Ipad version to trial it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
No game is a must-have. People can live long, fulfilling lives without even ever having played Eclipse. Or Puerto Rico, or Agricola for that part. If your initial instinct is to not buy the game, then don't go against it only because there are some people who vote highly for it. You don't know them, you don't know their tastes in games, so why would you trust their opinion on this game?

That said, I like it a lot. But I would never describe this game, or any other, as a must-have.
If you don't know whether to buy it, try and see if you can play the game somewhere - with a friend of a friend who has a copy, at a games convention, on the internet - and see if you might like it after all. Eclipse is quite an expensive game, so you should at least try it out before deciding to spend all that money on something that you might not like at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Perdue
United States
MIAMI
flag msg tools
It does a lot of things right and it is fun. It makes a nice part of any collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy waffles
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mb
If you like this kind of game. I like it ok, but still kind of Meh.

It all depends on what you like. You should have a friend buy it so you can play it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the bear
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wow, this is a lot of respons in little time. As some people noticed, I do have a lot of lighter games in my collection, but I've reached a point, where I would only prefer to play those games, with people new to boardgaming. I like rule heavy, long games (the only game I own, I felt I wasn't ready for is brass). That being said, I do have be able to sell it to my gaming friends. Explaining them dungeon petz, was pretty easy, but I had to put everything ready before they arrived, so they wouldn't be scared by all the pieces, and the time it took me to put everything ready. That being said, they really enjoyed it. (It somehows feels better, that playing two light games in a row). I'm pretty much the only person who buys boardgames in my group of friends (a bunch of them buys games, after they've played it with me, but always games I already have) So I always take chances buying a game, and most of the time i'm correct about my prediction if I will like it or not (only exception is pandemic).
Thanks for all the help. I think I want it, but maybe not now...one of those games i'll buy on a whim after a bad day
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwentn
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it quite a bit, my wife who isn't particularly into the theme and was scared by all the bits and iconography thinks it's fun, my hardcore gaming friends think it is the bomb and probably like it more than me, and the one who complains about how the group has too many games and that we shouldn't buy too many duplicate copies of games went and bought a duplicate copy (I bought it first).

Still, I say no. If you aren't particularly turned on by the theme or mechanics (which I was) then you can live without it. If you are like me though, you will talk yourself into ordering it eventually, likely sooner than later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
I will find Myntokk and I will eat him.
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is great. The economics of the game rules. That is by far my favorite part. That combined with the micromanaging of the ships, which is very rock/paper/scissors.

Add in the tile laying of the galaxy and huzzah to a great game.

Bear in mind this is a bit of luck, which can be mitigated to a certain extent, but I love luck in games. Particularly a war game like this.

To top it off this game plays SUPER fast for a space exploration/war game.

I have had this game since August, and I am addicted. I can't get enough of it. I am at about 25-30 games of it at this point, and I feel like it is still new each game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Richardson

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmb
Recently played Settlers of Catan because my casual-gaming friends "wanted something quicker / easy to learn." It was enjoyable but seemed childish and sooo luck-based compared to Eclipse. I missed actually being able to use my mind to plan strategies to use my resources, rather than just staring at the dice waiting for payday. 90% of the time I play a board game I want it to be Eclipse. YMMV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No.

I traded mine away because it's not fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
DKI Jakarta - Jakarta Utara
flag msg tools
badge
https://www.facebook.com/gopopnow
mbmbmbmbmb
YES! YES! YES! I worship this one! devil
But, back to the basic principle, each gamer has different preference and though game rank does give you some kind of insight into the game but it does not make it perfect for you. For instance, Eclipse and TI3 are somewhat similar from the outside, but the game play is different. If you like TI3, that doesn't guarantee you'll like eclipse and vice versa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a brain burner with moderate rules complexity but high strategic complexity that tests economic efficiency, war game skills, and diplomacy. There are dice and semi random setup for variety but the best players most often win. It is a game you should expect to play multiple times to fully appreciate. Game 1 is fun. Game 10 is even better. That all won't appeal to everyone. I love it!

If you do try it out be sure to have the rules down cold. Low player counts help with learning games as there is less downtown. Once players are up to speed the down town is not noticeable (for me). But it is a game that is not really understood on the first play so keeping game 1 short with fewer players gets people to their second game quicker. Playing Terran only is not necessary but highly suggested as it helps new players better understand the subtleties before aliens complicate things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
YES. It is one of the best boardgames out there.

And I can't wait to pick up the expansion at Essen 2012...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
I will find Myntokk and I will eat him.
mbmbmbmbmb
I want the expansion so badly it makes my spleen hurt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelvin Lau
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i am surprised how much "do i like it" thread lately asking over everyday random strangers over the internet and this is the most subjective one i have ever seen. it really reminds me of how my mum asking my dad if she is beautiful. you really sure we know better than you? perhaps we just should have been you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Macleod
United States
Pearland
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I want the expansion so badly it makes my mom's spleen hurt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Richardson

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmb
Weird, I don't really care about the expansion. The 7-9p idea is pointless (I prefer 4p) and there's so much depth and polish to the base game itself, I don't really need an expansion to add anything or risk mucking it up. 50+ games in and every game is still testing my ability to adapt to the circumstances. Another 200 games and maybe I'd want an expansion. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
DKI Jakarta - Jakarta Utara
flag msg tools
badge
https://www.facebook.com/gopopnow
mbmbmbmbmb
ParticleMan wrote:
Weird, I don't really care about the expansion. The 7-9p idea is pointless (I prefer 4p) and there's so much depth and polish to the base game itself, I don't really need an expansion to add anything or risk mucking it up. 50+ games in and every game is still testing my ability to adapt to the circumstances. Another 200 games and maybe I'd want an expansion. laugh

Well by the time you reach you 200 games and want to get the expansion... it's already OOP and hard to come by, so better get it now even if you did not want to play it right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Richardson

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmb
Well that's the other part - can't find opponents IRL to play anything. I mean, if I got the expansion, I could probably guilt people into 2 or 3 games due to that fact, but then it would just collect dust like the rest of my stack of strategy board games. shake

Sure hope there's a Vassal module...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Ivanesei
Romania
Bucuresti
flag msg tools
I should buy less games
badge
Stop looking at my avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
ParticleMan wrote:
Recently played Settlers of Catan because my casual-gaming friends "wanted something quicker / easy to learn." It was enjoyable but seemed childish and sooo luck-based compared to Eclipse. I missed actually being able to use my mind to plan strategies to use my resources, rather than just staring at the dice waiting for payday. 90% of the time I play a board game I want it to be Eclipse. YMMV.

Haha, quite similar to me. I started out in this hobby a bit wrong: Agricola. Never played Catan until 2 months ago with a different group. For the entire game I was expecting ... something to happen that would make me enjoy it. Never did.

Eclipse its a must buy if you enjoy longer strategic games, a lot of backstabbing and player vs player action.
If your group doesn't enjoy fighting, or you think some friends will be put off by the fact that 2-3 of you will work together to attack 1, you really shouldn't get it.

It is a bit overwhelming at first, when you have hundreds of tokens an no one at the table knows how to play. But after 1-2 turns, everything becomes so simple, so easy. You wont be spending times searching for some weird rules that come into play only 1 in 10 games. Instead, you will be spending time working on your plan to conquer the entire galaxy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.