Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesse Dean
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
badge
Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious predator on Earth!
mbmbmb
Hi!

I would like to try to attend my first Essen in 2013. Of course, not knowing much about the city I do not know what hotels are the best for the convention. Are there any specific hotels that I should check out that might not already be booked for 2013?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AhYAMeog94GAdG5...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As for what is best that depends on your priorities.

For example the Atlantic Congress Hotel directly next to the Messe is very convenient and has a lot of gaming in the evening. But it's also quite expensive and charges by the room not by the person. So you practically need to travel in pairs...

The further you get from the Messe and the City center the better the prices get. Last year I stayed at Ruhr Hotel Essen which is a lot cheaper, offers single rooms but is a couple of subway stations up and then about 5 minutes west. As it turned out it was faster to walk (~10 minutes) than taking the subway. But the gaming was non existent. When asked they of course let me use the breakfast area for playing but all the other gaming residents were playing at some other hotel.

So check out the spreadsheet of EYE of NiGHT, the threads that talk about hotels and then decide what is important for you. This far in advance I think you should be able to get a room in more or less any hotel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
doubtofbuddha wrote:
I would like to try to attend my first Essen in 2013. Of course, not knowing much about the city I do not know what hotels are the best for the convention. Are there any specific hotels that I should check out that might not already be booked for 2013?

Let me know where you're thinking of staying, and what you ultimately decide, because I definitely want to get a game in with you Jesse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Derrick
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't want to turn this into an "I'm staying at x" thread and would second the link to the useful hotel info thread.

A more pertinent issue might be which hotel which is reasonably close to the Messe (maybe 15 min. walk or less) still has rooms at this late date for any price. When I went to Essen in 2010, I didn't decide until about July-August and at that time, the best hotel with availability was the Moevenpick near the Essen train station. This year I will be at the Essen Sheraton. It is at the Philharmonie stop on the U-11 and is about a 15-20 minute walk or about 3 stops on the subway. They had availability as of today but is a little high at 139 Euros/nt. If you are a member of a hotel chain's loyalty club, you might check the big chains for free award rooms. That is what I am doing at the Sheraton and I know there are other chains such as Holiday Inn Expresses around Essen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
He's not going until 2013
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo
Germany
flag msg tools
A map with Hotels: http://www.communitywalk.com/essen2012
This year the Atlantic Congress Hotel, Ibis and Motel-One are quite popular among BGG folks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.